Thanks guys. I am slowly approaching the primer stage and will post some pics up when there's something worthwhile to show.

Janne, unfortunately not this time. I just hope Tarangus will release Viggen in gentleman's scale one day as well (or I win the jackpot, build a house with a dedicated room and build an occasional 1:48 model :D)

Oohhh, that's nice...that's nice! I'm absolutely certain that I'll start mine one day soon, and equally sure it will look as good as this. As sure as there are flying bacon sandwiches...not counting the one I bought in Roger Waters' garage sale!

Thanks guys

Platycqb - I always do it first - it's easier for me to mask it this way and it prevents from doing any accidental damage to the paintwork afterwards.

Alclad paints are extremely durable and masking them presents no problem - the only Alclad's you can't mask are Hi-Shine ones (Stainless Steel, Aiframe Aluminium, Polished Aluminium, Chrome)

Nicholas, thanks!

And here she is with her new clothes

click on the photo for more

su27sm-11.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more of this one - it looks outstanding.

I came across this survey of the various 1/72 kits recently: Flanker Survey. The author of that survey thought the Airfix kit provided the most accurate shape although a modeller would have to overcome some significant construction hurdles to get there. What are your thoughts, how does the Svezda kit stack up in terms of general shape?

Looking forward to seeing more of this one - it looks outstanding.

I came across this survey of the various 1/72 kits recently: Flanker Survey. The author of that survey thought the Airfix kit provided the most accurate shape although a modeller would have to overcome some significant construction hurdles to get there. What are your thoughts, how does the Svezda kit stack up in terms of general shape?

I believe the Zvezda overall shape gets the most thumbs-ups in this scale; they caught a few things other manufacturers missed (the wave-like topology of the fuselage to wing leading-edge 'chines' aft of the cockpit, some surface detail/vents and other stuff). The only 'major' issue is with the canopy shape, a common thing with Flanker kits. It is fixable with some sanding/re-shaping/polishing (I think Berkut may have done it?), but as I open up most of my builds I have more of a dispute with the inverted 'U' canopy section -it should be an Omega shape, but moulding it that way would put a raised line down the middle (like Hasegawa do, IIRC).

The kit is really well worth having, especially at the price! :thumbsup:

Thanks Janne, Air-to-air and ChippyWho

The survey must have been a few years old; before the release of Trumpeter kits and now the Zvezda one.

Zvezda is by far the most accurate, but so far only comes in the upgraded SM variant (other variants to follow in the future). With some little conversion work, it can be turned into a basic Su-27 as well. As ChippyWho noted, there is a problem with the canopy, but not the one he describes. Zvezda doesn't include the distinct Omega shape cross-section of the canopy if you look to it from the front; it is instead simplified inverted U. If you are going to build the canopy closed, you won't even notice that. And that is the only noticable "error" on this kit, really, while it does lack some details in the wheel bays and panel lines are a bit shallow.

Hasegawa has in the recent years released new-tool Su-33 and Su-35S which are also nice kits and have the problem of too pointy canopy, which can be sanded, as ChippyWho already mentioned.

Good Flanker alternative are also Trumpeter kits - while not as accurate as Zvezda one, they are a bit easier to build, are good priced and still better than any Flanker that has been released before (Hasegawa and its Revell repack, Airfix, ICM, Heller,...)

Looking absolutely brilliant Seb! I am, as i am sure many others, are picking lots of excellent small tips along this build. Should help when i eventually come around to building one. :) Please take a family picture with Su-35S when you are done!

The Flanker Models Survey that Air-to-Air mentions is mine - started about a zillion years ago when the only decent 1/72 scale Su-27 kits were the Airfix and Heller kits.

I haven't updated it for years :crying2:/>/> - so it doesn't include the new-generation kits from Trumpeter and Zvezda.

I must get around to updating it.......

My own opinion is that the Zvezda kit is far and away the most accurate Flanker in any scale - it is the only kit to capture the 'wave-like' topology on the LERX's as illustrated by this photo of the Su-27SM.....

Su-27SM_50.jpg

All other Flanker models have a simple concave shape to the LERX - like this Trumpeter kit....

Su-27SM_51.jpg

As Sebastijan points out, the only issue with the Zvezda kit (apart from a lack of detail in the wheel bays) is the canopy - it lacks the Omega/Horseshoe cross-section that would require a slide-mould to make...

This is what it should look like...

Su-27SM_22.jpg

Here it is compared to the Trumpeter canopy...

Su-27SM_21.jpg

Trumpeter get the correct(ish) cross-section - but at the expense of thicker sides and a seam along the top that is a pain to remove - and in 1/72 scale the shape error isn't that noticeable.

So Zvezda is best - but they move at a snails pace and have only released the one variant - the Su-27SM - that is only used by Russia - although by adding an IFR probe you could make the Indonesian Su-27SKM.

Trumpeter, whilst second-best - do make a wide variety of versions - so if you want to make only one Flanker, go with the Zvezda Su-27SM, if you want a collection of Flankers, go with Trumpeter (or do both as I have done)

My Su-27SM build is here.

Sorry to hijack your thread Sebastijan...... :worship:/>/>

Ken

Ken, not a hijack at all - we share the same love for Flankers and any thread can hopefully be as informative as it can be. Afterall, my Flanker collection is nicely growing as well :)

Berk, I sure will. I just hope I'll see someone release Su-30MK series (or I will sooner try converting Trump's 30MKK into one)