SR-71 Hasegawa 1/72

I have unearthed the SR-71 kit. The long term storage box also had the Su-25 in it from about the same era. It was an out of the box affair with minimal addition, primarily some antennas, the four small probes around the intakes (the one on top of right intake was lost, the nose gear covers also separated since then) and lots of small stencils mostly painted on free hand based on photos. The undercarriage bays were a trial set. I just wanted to see what could be done. Fortunately few very good photos were available, remember it was early 1990’s and no internet just the publications on hand. Squadron Signal in Action and the Osprey SR-71 Blackbird (by Paul F Crickmore) was a lot of help as well as some Lockheed material and my own photos.

Since the kit was for an article there was no time for further details. I would have loved to do the nose gear bay, the exhaust. The ejection seat masters were partly made but in the end did not make into the kit.

The kit has recessed panel lines, Humbrol paints were used, no preshading just tons of greys and blacks to get what seem appropriate at the time.

Hope this is of some help.

Here is the custom built wooden box for the SR-71

SR-711_zps9e6d2875.jpg

SR-712_zps3c609cfc.jpg

A few photos of the kit

SR-713_zps9ddd54d2.jpg

Going backwards

SR-715_zpsfb375bca.jpg

SR-714_zps4b720b24.jpg

SR-716_zpsa9fcf225.jpg

Here is the undercarriage bay with my resin parts in place

SR-717_zps38821a9e.jpg

Today I would do it differently and few more things . . .

SR-718_zpsb44c7b76.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a slight winter hiatus, I attended the IPMS Madtown Model show in Cottage Grove Wi this weekend. I wanted to take this completed build to the show but time got away on me and I'll have to bring it next year.

Finally completed all my sanding and bodywork. Fit overall was good so there wasn't much, I just procrastinated :cheers:/>/> . I only used a tiny bit of Mr Surfacer in a couple small places. I took some extra time to smoothly finish sand as a black subject doesn't suffer imperfections well.

20150308_102836.jpg

20150308_102846.jpg

Edited by toadwbg

I'm doing a spray bomb of Mr Surfacer to spot any imperfections and provide a good painting base. March finally brought some spring weather so I opened up the capped garage and let the stuff flow.

I rather like this light grey color! Looks very ghostly

20150308_103521.jpg

Edited by toadwbg

I'm looking forward to the paint job. I plan on doing a LOT of post-shading panels different tints of black and masking off areas and adding tinge of red or blue.

Nice work Toadwbg!

Look forward to future up dates. Love the grey airframe. It would have been nice back then to have an SR-71 like the early all grey F-117.

Best regards

Gabor