Need a good paint stripper

Like the title says, I need a good paint stripper. Something I can brush on and wipe off preferably. I've got a mustang I paint with enamels a few years ago that I screwed up, it's been sitting staring at me to fix it. I need to strip the paint the exterior only, so no soaking in simple green or anything like that, don't want to mess up the cockpit work. I just want it to work where I put it.

I use Mr. Levelling Thinner by Gunze- strips everything including clears, paint, and decals but will not harm the plastic. I typically use a rag or cotton buds with it. You can paint it on with a brush, and wipe off after a few seconds too.

I use Mr. Levelling Thinner by Gunze- strips everything including clears, paint, and decals but will not harm the plastic. I typically use a rag or cotton buds with it. You can paint it on with a brush, and wipe off after a few seconds too.

:thumbsup:/>

Like the title says, I need a good paint stripper. Something I can brush on and wipe off preferably. I've got a mustang I paint with enamels a few years ago that I screwed up, it's been sitting staring at me to fix it. I need to strip the paint the exterior only, so no soaking in simple green or anything like that, don't want to mess up the cockpit work. I just want it to work where I put it.

Mr. Color thinner is very good that stuff is death on enamel paint I've not tried it on acrylics, but if it takes off enamel...., also Testors' ELO is good.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

B-17,

I second Cliff's suggestion of Testors Easy Lift Off paint and decal remover. I have used it on enamels, acrylics, and lacquers and it cuts through all of them. Just be careful where you put it because it will eat through all of those painted and decaled surfaces, but it will not harm plastic. I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

I found out by accident that 91% Isopropyl Alcohol will strip paint off a model, it works on Acrylics, Enamels and Lacquers. I had used enamel based primer, acrylic primary color, and Testors lacquer based gloss cote. The alcohol took off all of the paint down to the bare plastic. I was attempting to remove tape residue from a canopy when I got alcohol on the canopy frame and the fuselage below the canopy.

Super Clean, comes in a big plastic , available at Wal-Mart.

For really tough paint removal, like the Revell Germany Star Wars prepaints, break fluid doe sthe job.

I stripped some paint from an F-Toys 1/144 scale F-106 awhile back. I'm not sure what type of paint it is, but I think it may be either lacquer or enamel. I had soaked the model in simple green for several days, and it didn't even touch the paint. It was still on the model, as tight as ever. I saw my RainX, and thought what the heck. That was the trick. It took a little bit of time and scrubbing, but it did the job. It works quicker if you soak it, but you can also put it on a rag and scrub the paint off. The good part is that it has absolutely no effect on plastic.

You can also wet paper towels with Simple Green and wrap them around the plane. It's a little easier to keep the SG out of the cockpit and wheel wells that way. A long soak is better, but this way works pretty well, if a little slower.

Edited by RedHeadKevin