OT: Movie review "American Sniper" Mild Spoilers

Saw it with my wife the other night. I have not read the book but I am now interested in doing so. I was only vaguely knowledgeable of the life, distinguished career, and death of Chris Kyle going into this film.

The Good:

• Moral and family conflicts of Chris Kyle and supporting characters.
  • Heroism of Chris Kyle. In a world of moral ambiguity and Hollywood fictional anti-Heroes it was refreshing to see an actual hero who served his country portrayed. "Lone Survivor" did this as well.
  • Spotlight given to PTSD- I haven't seen many films where this is tackled head-on
  • Duty to "Band of Brothers"
  • Gritty war-action. Some of the best combat I have seen since "Black-hawk Down" or "The Pacific".
  • Setting/local and photography captured on film. The opening scene (if over-toned in earthy greys and browns)would have been a deejay-vu into WW2 Europe. No doubt intentional by the director, Clint Eastwood.
  • Acting by Bradley Cooper. At no time did I think of this guy as Rocket Racoon, the guy from the Hangover Trilogy or "Face" from the A-Team. He owned the role on screen.
  • Ending and Credits- I don't want to completely spoil it, but my theater was silent and I had tears in my eyes. Something pretty rare for me and a movie.
  • Little directorial storytelling like foreshadowing that Clint Eastwood does well. I'm sure I missed some, but one that stuck out to me was the "hold up and drop your drawers" scene where Kyle puts the cocked revolver down before leaving the room.

The Bad:

• Fake "digital" Blood for gunshots as opposed to practical effects in many scenes, it showed.
  • Baby Doll stand-in
  • Phone calls on the job (storytelling decision?)
  • Slo-mo sequence of "The money shot". From a film perspective, this has become a Hollywood cliche and I expect a little more from a director like Eastwood.
  • For all the acclaim the actors have gotten, I expected a little better chemistry on-screen between Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller. This might have been purposely played low on screen?

The Ugly:

• Brutality of war (this also draws high honors for realism) but it is hard to watch in places.
  • Politics over the film

I highly recommend this one. Rare does a film stay with me so long after seeing it. I wouldn't call it a modern masterpiece but it definitely earns some of the acclaim it has received.

Edited by toadwbg

My teenage daughter just saw it. She is definitely not into war movies and she thought it was one of the best movies she's seen in the last few years. I'll be checking it out this weekend. Anything Clint directs is pretty much a must-see for me.

My only question is how much of this is based on reality vrs "hollywood". Lone Survivor (the movie) had a lot of changes from the book, none of which were accurate. Heck, there are plenty of folks out there that question the accuracy of the Lone Survivor book itself.

What's the general consensus on American Sniper? Is this an accurate movie or just another hollywood, loosely based on reality, action flick?

My teenage daughter just saw it. She is definitely not into war movies and she thought it was one of the best movies she's seen in the last few years. I'll be checking it out this weekend. Anything Clint directs is pretty much a must-see for me.

My only question is how much of this is based on reality vrs "hollywood". Lone Survivor (the movie) had a lot of changes from the book, none of which were accurate. Heck, there are plenty of folks out there that question the accuracy of the Lone Survivor book itself.

What's the general consensus on American Sniper? Is this an accurate movie or just another hollywood, loosely based on reality, action flick?

It followed the book very closely and I'd call it a "war drama" vice "action flick". The story (book and movie) is more about the man and his wife than it is the Iraq war.

The "enemy sniper" story line is Hollywood. There was a known Syrian sniper in theatre (I believe he got some kills during the Faluja campaign?) but these two guys never were "after" each other. There was indeed a price of Kyle's head however.

The phone calls to the wife are accurate...if you have/had a sat phone, you can dial home as if sitting in your living room and in the book the wife talks about hearing him in a fire fight.

His wife was/is unhappy with the way in which his younger brother, a Marine in country, is portrayed in the scene in which they run into each other on the flight line.

The "enemy sniper" story line is Hollywood. There was a known Syrian sniper in theatre (I believe he got some kills during the Faluja campaign?) but these two guys never were "after" each other. There was indeed a price of Kyle's head however.

Agreed, it did deviate in a number of spots when he was in country, like when he actually enrolled in sniper school and some of the areas of operation. I think that even by Hollywooding the rival sniper Clint played up the part of the story about mercenary terrorists joining the fight against US Troops. It seemed like there were an awful lot of easter egg type details that weren't explained in the movie but were really covered in the book (like the Predator name).

I wish they had included the CAS minaret incident in film form...

But a very impressive movie for what was included given the time restrictions. It covered the key moments of the story and the audience surely felt them all.

I read the book a while back and saw the movie yesterday with my kids.

The interaction with his wife was accurate but downplayed a bit in the movie. They didn't cover everything. Once you read the book, you'll see.

I liked it and was happy to see movies like ths making a comeback.

Jeff

Got the book from my kids for Christmas and I've just started reading it. So far the book flows well and I'm finding it an interesting read. I especially like the way his wife's side of the story is revealed from time to time. I look forward to watching the movie.

Cheers Paul

Edited by MacStingy

I watched it at movie theater very close to MCAS Miramar. I could see and feel the angst in some of the soldiers that sat nest to us. The ending credits was one of the most unique experiences I've ever felt, very very cool and chilling.

I thought the movie dragged on a bit at parts, but the overall experience was 10/10

Clint must be doing something right, the movie had a blockbuster opening weekend. ~ $120 million in ticket sales.

Then of course there is Michael Moore, who felt the need to weigh in on the subject with a couple of thoughtful tweets:

My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse

—

Michael Moore (@MMFlint) January 18, 2015

But if you're on the roof of your home defending it from invaders who've come 7K miles, you are not a sniper, u are brave, u are a neighbor.

—

Michael Moore (@MMFlint) January 19, 2015

I have not seen the movie myself, but I have read the book and think that it's a great read. Personally I am glad that it's doing extremely well at the box office. Then folks like Michael Moore can shut the h$ll up.

Cheers!

Article that goes over some of the made-for-Hollywood aspects of the film. Note - more spoilers present.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/01/23/american_sniper_fact_vs_fiction_how_accurate_is_the_chris_kyle_movie.html

Never understood why Hollywood feels the need to embellish what is already a powerful story, they did the same thing w/ Lone Survivor. It brings the movie closer to "Rambo" instead of just sticking with the original story, as presented in the book.

Not a deal breaker for me, I'm still going to see the movie but disappointing nonetheless.

Have you actually *read* what he's said? He was quoted massively out of context, and very selectively.

You mean the tweets below?

My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse

—

Michael Moore (@MMFlint) January 18, 2015

But if you're on the roof of your home defending it from invaders who've come 7K miles, you are not a sniper, u are brave, u are a neighbor.

Michael Moore (@MMFlint) January 19, 2015

I know since then he has done some spin work but if there was more to those first tweets, I'd be interesting in reading it.

Edited by 11bee

Have you actually *read* what he's said? He was quoted massively out of context, and very selectively.

Have you? Not sure how direct quotes from him taken from his tweets could be taken out of context. It's Michael Moore...I think that alone speaks volumes by itself ;)

Edited by Don

Jennings, he said "we were taught snipers are cowards". That's what he said, in writing. The movie and book is about Chris Kyle's life/career as a sniper, hence the title "American Sniper". You do know that's the title & the premise of the movie? Tell us how what he said is "massively out of context?

Chuck

For whatever it's worth, snipers were hated by those on the receiving end. In WW2, the US Army didn't typically take German snipers as prisoners, they were shot on the spot. All that being said, this guy is way out of line (as he usually is).

I really am curious how his tweets were taken out of context...

Saw this movie tonight, wery unusual film for Eastwood as director - put biography book to screen. No politics, no talknig about "why we here" - only mans job at war.

About brutality of war - at my look at Fury movie is too much brutality, there is just right. But in something has something in common with two of his other movies - Battle of Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers.

I'm didn't know about Chris Kyle before, i didn't read this book, so unusual final - as soon as everything began to be adjusted somehow, it was shot by other veteran with a post-traumatic syndrome.

Saw this movie tonight, wery unusual film for Eastwood as director - put biography book to screen. No politics, no talknig about "why we here" - only mans job at war.

About brutality of war - at my look at Fury movie is too much brutality, there is just right. But in something has something in common with two of his other movies - Battle of Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers.

I'm didn't know about Chris Kyle before, i didn't read this book, so unusual final - as soon as everything began to be adjusted somehow, it was shot by other veteran with a post-traumatic syndrome.

Kotey- I assume your from Russia? I found your comments very interesting (in a good way) just because most of the replies here are Americans or Canadians.

I think Eastwood's Films "Iwo Jima" and "Flags of our Fathers" are must-watches and good compliments to "American Sniper".

I had a mini-debate with a co-worker over American Sniper being a propaganda film. I argued it is not as they show the consequences of his actions rather than blatantly promoting an agenda (non-political). This is one of the things I really respect about this film.

Edited by toadwbg

Have you? Not sure how direct quotes from him taken from his tweets could be taken out of context. It's Michael Moore...I think that alone speaks volumes by itself ;)/>

He's since added on to his rants.....

Tomorrow's Sunday School (1) What Would Jesus Do? Oh, I know what he'd do -- hide on top of a roof and shoot people in the back!

This was on the 24th. I'm not going to post his further rants since they jump into politics.

I'm still trying to figure out you can take so few words "out of contexts", specially when he's continuing the same line.

Kotey- I assume your from Russia? I found your comments very interesting (in a good way) just because most of the replies here are Americans or Canadians.

I think Eastwood's Films "Iwo Jima" and "Flags of our Fathers" are must-watches and good compliments to "American Sniper".

I had a mini-debate with a co-worker over American Sniper being a propaganda film. I argued it is not as they show the consequences of his actions rather than blatantly promoting an agenda (non-political). This is one of the things I really respect about this film.

I agree, these three films are must sees....I saw American Sniper last night. I agree with the embellishments, some weren't necessary, a few other were combined to save time in the film. To be honest, I think that they should have covered the family stress from deployment and how Kyle suffered from PTSD a little more....but again time.

American Sniper is an excellent movie non the less.