Skyraider Weapons Load

Brent,

It really would depend on what mission they were flying as to what kind of a load they had. SAR would have minigun(s), centerline tank, WP bomb, cluster bomb dispenser and maybe napalm. CAS could be napalm, cluster bombs, gp bombs, etc. Night interdiction on the trail would be about the same as CAS mission. Main thing to figure out is what mission did you want to depict. Hope this helps.. Don

Richard Drury's book, "My Secret War" has quite a few pics showing various loads on some of the missions he flew. Trail busting in Laos early in his tour to SAR missions later on. Very very good read and really informative on what the Spad drivers went through during the war. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on a copy. dpw

Edited by Drifterdon

Brent,

Top photo in this link shows a typical SAR loadout for the Sandy birds. I have the Tamiya 1/48 kit that I plan to load up with this ord. Hope it helps.

Don

http://skyraider.org...nder/bender.htm

Another great website that shows ordinance carried by the Spad.

http://a-1combatjournal.com/weapons.html

Edited by Drifterdon

Sounds cool Brent. These suckers carried everything including the kitchen sink and a toilet! Best of luck on your build. Make sure to include lots of oil stains and exhaust residue. They were filthy. The Skyraider is one of my all time favorite aircraft.

Don

very cool shot

That dispenser full of fire bomblets is worth the price of admission all by itself (that is what the Light Red stripe means)

the mixed load of rockets in that one pod is also cool to see

If you end up going with a Sandy loadout try to find a 150gal resin fuel tank for the starboard stub. The Tamiya kit provides a 300gal tank for this station, but 150gal tanks were more commonly used there. Two Mikes made a 150gal tank for the A-4, but the same tank was used on the A-1. I used it on this build:

A-1_2_zps27485ae1.jpg