Here's another new sheet coming soon from Speed Hunter. I know I should probably branch out and cover something besides Phantoms, but there are just so many great-looking F-4s out there!!

These Phantoms are all F-4E models in a combination of SEA wraparound, Euro 1, & Hill Gray II camo schemes, comprising jets from the Air National Guard and active-duty. A second F-4E sheet will follow at a later date.

I need to firm up a couple more details to make sure I have some of the crew names correct, then this will go off to Cartograf.

1) 68-0378 141st TFG, New Jersey ANG, May 1988 *12 F-16 kills*

2) 68-0527 141st TFG, New Jersey ANG, November 1990 *108TFW flagship*

3) 72-0141 21TFS, 35th TFW, George AFB, CA, November 1990 *831st AD flagship*

4) 68-0424 181st TFG, Indiana ANG, May 1991, *one-piece windscreen/181TFG flagship*

5) 68-0345 131st TFG, Missouri ANG, August 1986 *one-piece windscreen*

6) 68-0450 68th TFS, 347th TFW, Moody AFB, GA, March 1983

7) 68-0318 68th TFS, 347th TFW, Moody AFB, GA, June 1987 *68TFS flagship*

8) 68-0531 122nd TFG, Indiana ANG, November 1988

48011_F-4E_SpeedHunter.jpg

Edited by jmel

The New Jersey jet with the F-16 kills is the one that made me really want to do this sheet. It's pretty cool looking with all of those kill markings on the intake. It also has some Bart Simpson artwork that was too good to pass up.

48th for now. Possibly other scales down the road.

Question on the armament rectangles. 99% of the time, something is written inside to depict the load of the jet, even if it's only 20mm rounds or chaff/flare. I've depicted this handwriting on some of the decal artwork, but not all. I think it's a nice touch, but only if the modeler intends to arm the jet to match. Would you guys like blank rectangles, or with the load printed on the decal?

Possibly a blank armament box and separate writing for inside the box?Common writing while I crewed them was 20mm, BDU-33,and chaff/flare,on occasion we would have GBU training rounds or 500-1,000 training heavies while at home station but more common when we did a Snowbird at Tucson or Red Flag.Often the only thing noticeable in the box was just smeared grease pencil :D/>

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Sweet! 2 Questions though....

1. How do we get a one piece windscreen? (I REALLY want to do a Euro 1 St.L bird!!).

2. Will the next one have markings for California E's? I also REALLY want to do an E from March.

Can't wait to send you money!

Sweet! 2 Questions though....

1. How do we get a one piece windscreen? (I REALLY want to do a Euro 1 St.L bird!!).

2. Will the next one have markings for California E's? I also REALLY want to do an E from March.

Can't wait to send you money!

Maintrack used to have vacuform one and I believe one other company did as well.Hopefully GT Resin will produce one.I have a Maintrack one that looks to ultimately go on the 181st F-4E that is on Jake's sheet.

A California E would be cool,I haven't seen anyone do one of their E's yet,just C's.

[quote name='ThePhantomTwo' timestamp='1421885706' post='2683052'

A California E would be cool,I haven't seen anyone do one of their E's yet,just C's.

I almost did a pair of them for this sheet but ran out of room. I have a Euro 1 MiG killer and another in Hill Gray. Sorry Mike! Next time.

Wooooow....weeeee....got me with the NJANG birds from my home...I'm in!!!! Those look amazing!!

What part of Jersey are you from? I used to watch the F-4E's fly into Mc Guire from my home in Jackson NJ.

Gonz

What part of Jersey are you from? I used to watch the F-4E's fly into Mc Guire from my home in Jackson NJ.

Gonz

Gonz,

I used to catch them flying over my neighborhood in trenton both on their way to Mcguire and I''m assuming westward to PA all the time. Funny thing about being a kid and fascinated with military aviation is I recall how I could hear the F-4s coming before they flew over and I would stop whatever I was doing and make a mad dash out the house looking desperately skyward to find them, my family would just smile and shrug it off as my true passion and jet crazed!!

Gonz,

I used to catch them flying over my neighborhood in trenton both on their way to Mcguire and I''m assuming westward to PA all the time. Funny thing about being a kid and fascinated with military aviation is I recall how I could hear the F-4s coming before they flew over and I would stop whatever I was doing and make a mad dash out the house looking desperately skyward to find them, my family would just smile and shrug it off as my true passion and jet crazed!!

I did exactly the same thing! I would drop everything and run outside to see if I could catch a glimpse of them flying by. I did have the privilege once, with my JROTC unit in high school, to witness F-4E's do bombing runs at Willow Grove bombing range. Our commander was a full bird, he went into the tower and spoke directly to the fighters and asked them to do something "special" for us. A monument later two F-4E's flew past us going very fast and very low! I will never forget the sights and sounds of that day. It was spectacular.

Another crazy thing I use to do was wear my JROTC uniform and go on base, McGuire, and get as close to the F-4's as possible. It wasn't very close mind you but close enough. Keep in mind this was way before 911 and our uniforms, from afar, looked like an enlisted uniform so most of the the time the SPs would wave us through. Eventually I joined the Air Force and became an SP myself. I wasn't stationed at McGuire, but I got to see my fair share of different military aircraft including F-4's. Great memories.

Yeah, I hear you, but the tailflash is the same on the F-4E as it was on the F-4D. Likewise, the wing/squadron badges. With the exception of the crew names, you can build a D using E decals.