Which F-14 was used in "Top Gun"

No, seriously. I searched ARC for an answer before posting,and there was nothing. I am under the assumption that it was an F-14A, but is that correct? I've got a Hasegawa kit in the stash along with a great set of "Top Gun" decals, and I'm ready to get started, but I want to make sure I've got the correct plane. Anyone?

No, seriously. I searched ARC for an answer before posting,and there was nothing. I am under the assumption that it was an F-14A, but is that correct? I've got a Hasegawa kit in the stash along with a great set of "Top Gun" decals, and I'm ready to get started, but I want to make sure I've got the correct plane. Anyone?

The F-14A was the only game in town when the movie Top Gun was filmed in 85/86. The F-14A+/B wasn't delivered until 1987 and the F-14D not until 1991.

Cheers,

John

Ahh, but it's not as simple as saying it was an A. Did it have the Block 135 upgrade? Was it the 2 grill or 7 louver gun vent? Did it have just the ALQ-100 antenna or did it have the TCS pod under the nose? These are the questions that must be answered! :whistle:

Ahh, but it's not as simple as saying it was an A. Did it have the Block 135 upgrade? Was it the 2 grill or 7 louver gun vent? Did it have just the ALQ-100 antenna or did it have the TCS pod under the nose? These are the questions that must be answered! :whistle:/>/>

Here's a pic from the movie that should help;

http://www.moviestillsdb.com/movies/top-gun-i92099/aa980bba

Here's another pic from the movie (to complicate things a little). I've used Photoshop to enhance the nose section of the Tomcat in the pic. Note that this F-14A has a streamlined fairing in place of the original ALR-23 IR sensor, pending a replacement. The ECM antenna is located under it.

topgun3_zps5a290455.jpg

Here's another pic from the movie (to complicate things a little). I've used Photoshop to enhance the nose section of the Tomcat in the pic. Note that this F-14A has a streamlined fairing in place of the original ALR-23 IR sensor, pending a replacement. The ECM antenna is located under it.

topgun3_zps5a290455.jpg

That IR sensor was long gone from the fleet by the time Top Gun was filmed. That cover was the aerodynamic "bullet" fairing covering the hole from when the TCS Camera was removed. The F-14A and B used this cover right up to the end, while the F-14D had entirely different slugs that occupied the TCS and IRST spots when not filled with the actual sensor.