F-104 Starfighter

I just got the new issue of Flypast magazine. There is a spotlight series article on the F-104. On page 75 there is a photo Ivan Kincheloe in front of an F-104 intake. The intake has some kind grate applied to it that I've never seen before. I'm sure it's just a protective cover for engine runs. I was at the last F-104 base in the USA and I don't remember them being used. I also can't find any other photo with this cover on it. Any insight?

Steve

Lockheed devised those covers more as a method of disguise rather than just FOD protection. They reckoned that the shape of the intake shock cones would be a clue to the USSR to figure out how fast the F-104 was designed to fly so in those early photos you'll usually see those covers in place. At least that's the story I've read.

Jeffrey

I just got the new issue of Flypast magazine. There is a spotlight series article on the F-104. On page 75 there is a photo Ivan Kincheloe in front of an F-104 intake. The intake has some kind grate applied to it that I've never seen before. I'm sure it's just a protective cover for engine runs. I was at the last F-104 base in the USA and I don't remember them being used. I also can't find any other photo with this cover on it. Any insight?

Steve

Hi Steve,

This the photo you're talking about? Iven Kincheloe F-104 photo

I'm pretty sure that's an early version of the FOD screen for ground run-up operations.

Cheers,

John

I think your talking about the "flight falsies" that were put on the early Starfighters to hide the shock cones. Here is a link to the photo.

Steve

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/050316-F-1234P-017.jpg

Are you thinking of these covers? YF-104

These fairings were placed over the inlets to cover up the cone in early photos.

Cheers,

John

Hi Steve,

This the photo you're talking about? Iven Kincheloe F-104 photo

I'm pretty sure that's an early version of the FOD screen for ground run-up operations.

Cheers,

John

It sure looks like a FOD screen. The ones I've seen cover the outside of the intake. It almost looks like rivets around the edge though. I wish I could see where it connects near the cone.

Steve

Edited by Steve jahn
  • 3 years later...