Tamiya F-16C to F-16A

I need some help for the F-16 experts out there. I want to convert a 1/48 Tamiya F-16C, using the block 25/32 kit, to an F-16 MLU with the parabrake housing, and a second one to an F-16ADF. I understand the differences between the cockpits and the landing gear. What else do I need to do for each version? I do have PWMP tail bases for both versions, would those work? What else am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

Mike

I have done this Conversion too, making an early RNoAF F-16A Block 15.

What you need is:

• Replace forward part of gun port With old-style gun port - Hasegawa part will fit but fine tuning needed.
  • Early undercarriage with lights in main Wheel weel - found in the Block 25/32 boxing
  • Block 5/10/15 main wheels
  • New instrument panel representing the Block 5-15 Version (not MLU as out of the Box)
  • Small style stabilator if you build an early Block 5/10 version. Check Your ref's
  • Modify top of tail to represent the F-16A. Basically removing the RWR of the F-16C. This can be filed down and rescribed.
  • Use the 16S210 rails (found in the Block 25/32 boxing)
  • replace tailbase with either ADF or Parachute base depending on version

Remember to check Your Reference pic's for the Version you are to build. The ADF newer flew with the small tailplanes, and many F-16A Block 5/10/15 had the gun ports replaced with the New type that comes in the kit

If I have forgotten something, I am sure someone will chime in :)

Hello,

i would like to build a Block 25 CAS Viper. What kit would fit the most.

I know, that the Block 25 has a PW engine and a small mouth intake.

I have in the stash:

Tamiya Aggressor Viper

Hasegawa CG Block 30 viper

Hasegawa CJ Block 40 viper

Kinetic/italeri DG/DJ viper for a doubleseater

The Hasegawa kits also have the parts needed,the big intakes,GE exhaust and heavy gears/doors were add on's to the original A/C model kits.

If the CAS Viper is your top shelf build I'd use the Tamiya kit, if it's just a neat subject I'd use one of the Hasegawa kit's.

Curt

Thanks for the help guys.

Niels - thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Paola - still threatening to finish my Diana using the kinetic kit, but there are a few things I goofed on and would like to redo.

Hey Curtis! How's it going, miss everyone back in the AVG!

Thanks again

Mike

• 5 months later...

Anyone have any intel on the Sierra Hotel F-16A conversion?? I just looked and there's nothing on their site about it, yet they showed masters some months ago. I'd love to do one of the Michigan ANG birds someday...

Thanks Jens. Yes, I was aware of those. I'm looking to build an F-16A ADF. The Sierra Hotel set looks to be a bit more comprehensive than the Kasl sets for that purpose. I have the modified lower tail from a Revell kit, but I'd like to use the rest of the SH stuff if/when it becomes available.

• 4 years later...

As with any conversion, you'll need to add a thin plasticard plate to fill inn the broader footprint of the C-tail. Then, when this is done and depending on your AMS, you'll need to do some re-scribing. Then you can add just about any A/B tail you prefer. 

That said, there is good aftermarked items from PWMP that is better suited than the Italeri tail. But this all comes down to your preference and wallet, and in the end it is your model. 

To put in a different way; I just bought the Italeri kit for the blisters only, to transfer these to a better tail in order to eventually make an ADF. So crazy is what crazy does 😂

I’m pretty certain there were some differences in panels/doors. If I remember correctly the crew chief’s comm panel and boost pump lights were under a smaller panel on the LH intake. Some blade antennas were different as well. Just behind the aft transparency was an A/R light. You should be able to see its location in photos. You might see how much the HUDs differed in appearance.