Russian Su-27 intercept Portuguese P-3 Orion over the Baltic Sea

Why do Portuguese P-3s patrol the Baltic Sea?

NATO member forces commonly deploy to forward areas to share the presence burden and gain operational experience. When I was in Sig, we had Canadian, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, German, and British MPA forces rotating through all of the time.

That Su-27 looks great.

Here is a CF-188 in formation with 2 Portuguese F-16's.

It's a pic on Flickr. 2 F16 1 CF188

Edit..decided to ad the caption "Operation REASSURANCE"

A CF-188 Hornet from the Canadian Air Task Force Lithuania flies with two Portuguese F16 Flying Falcons over Lithuania on September 15, 2014 for the NATO Baltic Air Policing Block 36 during Operation REASSURANCE.

Edited by Av8fan

Thanks for that link!

really cool to see the Su-27 approach with speedbrake open.

what a graceful aircraft! ...and it looks really "serious" armed with 4 R-27(and 2 R-73)...(i'm more used to see Russian Su-27 only with R-73's)

Yeah I understand that Im just wondering why its all the way up there when portugal has plenty of coastline of its own to look at ;)/>/>

I suppose the P-3 crew just got lost and ended up over the Baltic.

Edited by 11bee

Great video. Does anyone know what unit the Su-27 is from? I see it is wearing a Guards badge? Also, it looks like the green dielectric panel on the right vertical fin tip was overpainted in white, which then wore off. Is that typical?

It is Su-27, serial 29413, were made at 1989, initial had board number 10, belonged to the 686-th Fighter Regiment (initial it was Naval Air Defence Regiment, now it is VVS Regiment), in 2010 after capital overhaul recived code RF-33740, in 2014 were named after Grigoriy Rechkalov (one of USSR AF aces durinf WWII) and new board number 90.

Edited by kotey

pretty cool, love the wing rock showing "I have missles" not to hijack thread but, remember the Chinese interceptor pilot who crashed after damaging our spy plane, didn't he fly excessively close and flick off pilots. I also hear he carried a banner with an email address and would talk smack if you emailed him…anyone know if this is true?

The red "writing" looks like mission marks

It is Su-27, serial 29413, were made at 1989, initial had board number 10, belonged to the 686-th Fighter Regiment (initial it was Naval Air Defence Regiment, now it is VVS Regiment), in 2010 after capital overhaul recived code RF-33740, in 2014 were named after Grigoriy Rechkalov (one of USSR AF aces durinf WWII) and new board number 90.

Thanks, Kotey. It seems it would make an interesting modelling subject.

pretty cool, love the wing rock showing "I have missles" not to hijack thread but, remember the Chinese interceptor pilot who crashed after damaging our spy plane, didn't he fly excessively close and flick off pilots. I also hear he carried a banner with an email address and would talk smack if you emailed him…anyone know if this is true?

The red "writing" looks like mission marks

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Is that what the red writing says on the port engine intake ???

Ken

Yes, Ken. His name were placed at air intake - it is several Su-27s with names in same position in this regiment.

Edited by kotey

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Yes, he's referring to W's first international challenge in April 2001. A Chinese J-8 Finback pilot did multiple passes on the EP-3. The Americans already knew his name because he had previously closed with and flashed a large card with his email address on it. But his last flight was spent buzzing the EP-3 and he clipped one of the props and went into the drink, never to be heard from again. The EP-3 diverted to a base on Hunan Island and the crew was detained for over a month while George Bush penned an apology and conceded the EP-3 as compromised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island_incident

Edited by Exhausted

Yes, he's referring to W's first international challenge in April 2001. A Chinese J-8 Finback pilot did multiple passes on the EP-3. The Americans already knew his name because he had previously closed with and flashed a large card with his email address on it. But his last flight was spent buzzing the EP-3 and he clipped one of the props and went into the drink, never to be heard from again. The EP-3 diverted to a base on Hunan Island and the crew was detained for over a month while George Bush penned an apology and conceded the EP-3 as compromised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island_incident

Never heard of that story. Pretty weird one.