Large Plastic Sheets in Canada - Where to get them?

Aimed at my Canadian friends, where can I readily find sheet plastic (plasticard), in various thicknesses, which measure larger than what the Evergreen stands at LHS's provide?

Min size would be 14x14, and 24x24 inches would be ideal. I did a few Google searches, but everything is either mailed from outside of Canada, or is about 10x10 size.

Cheers,

Mark.

Try searching under plastics in your area, for me there is local store that sells various plastic items, totes, bins, etc including sheet styrene. I haven't been there in awhile because i got some large sheets, about 2' x 3' and larger and they have lasted me a long while. Also check various stores as some of their advertising or sale signs are styrene sheets, of course they usually have some form of writing on them but that shouldn't be a problem. Just ask if they have any old signs they want to get rid of, you may not get the thickness you are looking for but it's free.

Jari

http://www.emplastic.com/product_details.php?ref=142&product=42

They have an outlet in Dartmouth.

You can also use ABS sheet for modelling purposes. http://www.emplastic.com/product_details.php?ref=142&product=43

There is also a Sabic Polymershapes in Dartmouth, but IIRC you need a corporate account (or substantial minimum order). I wouldn't be shocked if the base (or some department thereon) had an account though, so it may be worth investigating. Also, if Dartmouth is too far, you can try seeing if there are any sign printers/manufacturers, as they frequently work with styrene sheet and may be willing to sell you some.

At this size, you're paying by volume as much as anything. For a rough guide, a 4' x 8' sheet of .020 should be around $15. The same size in .010 will be $8 or $9; in .040 it'll be about $30. A 4' x 4' sheet of .040 will be about $15. etc. etc. Also worth noting, you're looking for HIPS - high impact polystyrene; that's the modelling/sheet stuff, as opposed to expanded polystyrene foam (styrofoam). You'll see both HIPS and styrene used interchangeably by suppliers, but with such a wide range of plastics out there, you want to be sure to get the right stuff.

Also, a 4 x 8 sheet is one hell of a lot of plastic. Surprisingly heavy, and an enormous pain to handle. Good photo backdrop, though.

Edited by MoFo