thunderbird question

does a thunder bird have the capable for in flight refueling or for long I.E Europe, Asia or is it gas bags or lay overs at different bases

Years ago they used to have the old bumper sticker from In'N'Out Burger that read "In 'N Out Urge" mounted just aft of the AR receptacle on the Thunderbird F-16As.

As far I know they are just normal block 52s except for the smoke system. So I presume they have normal ifr capabilities.

This is correct. I've read that by Congressional mandate, the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels have to be returned to normal duty status in 72 hours if necessary, so the only thing that is not "normal" is the smoke system, which in both cases replaces the gun. So, if it was needed, the smoke system would be removed, the gun replaced, and the aircraft would be ready to fly combat missions...Paint and all. There are photos around on the internet of a Thunderbirds F-16A loaded up with dumb bombs and soot around its canon port after having fired it. I've never seen them with drop tanks, but that does not mean it has not happened. There are many, many videos of both teams doing aerial refueling though.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801