CO2 tank, what size to buy???

A 20lb tank is what I roll with, that's the size you see for soda fountains...so,I'd guess the most accessible.

A full tank (usually in the neighborhood of 600-800 psi depending on temp) lasts me about two years.

Initial set up is where you'll eat a bit of cost because you have to buy a regulator (you can get an adequate one in the $40.00-$50.00 range) and the cost of the tank ($140.00...?) after that though, depending on how you go about it, you swap out tanks with the supplier for about $14.00. I go to the local welding supply shop and swap mine. No hassle.

Some States try and screw you though, I used to live in Maine, they love taxes up there. I had to buy the tank, have it "inspected" and then when it came time to fill...they sent my tank off to get filled and then I had to come back a few days later and pick up my tank. It was a bit of a pain in the butt. But if your local welding supply, farm supply or what have you does the swap out thing, then it is pretty economical.

best part though, when it comes to airbrushing...silent, exact, controllable pressure and no moving parts.

Edited by 82Whitey51

If you need to buy a new tank and also need to refill it ever so often I'd recommend that you look for a compressor instead. I tried the CO2 tank some years ago and with one or two refills per year it simply got too expensive in the long run. Granted, it gives you a stady flow of nice, dry air but $200-250 will get you a fairly nice compressor and no running costs except for the power.

Just something to consider

I'm also seriously considering a a switch from my compressor to a CO2 tank. I'm planning on using a dive tank instead as I have access to a local dive shop, so it will be a used tank, not a new one. There are a few wielding supply places within a 30-45 min drive, so the refills aren't a issue. For me it's how many refills I will need per year, and the cost of those refills. I manage about 4 or 5 1/48 scale builds per year, so I do use my airbrush quite a lot. Also in NY state, every refill requires an inspection, and in this state, nothing is free.

Joel

20 lb is the most common size.

I'd 1st go to your local welding supplier, Sports shop (Diving) or Gas supplier and find out about refilling and bottle exchanges.

Then go shopping for a bottle.

I spoke to my local welding supplier which is 1 block away from me, he does a bottle exchange, and will accept an out of inspection bottle, so I can search for a economical "USED" bottle with an expired inspection (even cheaper), try yard sales, construction related swap meets, you should be able to find a bottle for well under $100.

Curt

Oh my God! Don't you radicals realize that CO2 is dangerous to the earth? Just ask al gore.

To compensate, you'll have to hold your breath whenever you are in a air brushing session.

or

you can always nuke your workbench from orbit. It's the only was to be sure.

20 lb is the most common size.

I'd 1st go to your local welding supplier, Sports shop (Diving) or Gas supplier and find out about refilling and bottle exchanges.

Then go shopping for a bottle.

I spoke to my local welding supplier which is 1 block away from me, he does a bottle exchange, and will accept an out of inspection bottle, so I can search for a economical "USED" bottle with an expired inspection (even cheaper), try yard sales, construction related swap meets, you should be able to find a bottle for well under $100.

Curt

Curt,

Not having a inspected bottle, which should be inspected before every refill, is extremely dangerous. Whatever the cost, it's worth it.

Joel

Curt,

Not having a inspected bottle, which should be inspected before every refill, is extremely dangerous. Whatever the cost, it's worth it.

Joel

True, that's why bottle swaps is the way to go...if your state allows it (MD does). $14.00 about every year and a half or so for me.

Edited by 82Whitey51

I wouldn't try to cobble a setup together with a secondhand tank of unknown lineage or try to reuse another type of tank for a CO2 tank.

None of the welding shops I've dealt with over the years actually refill your empty tank in person, they swap it out with a full tank that's already been inspected and tested if needed. And none of them would fill a tank out of inspection or one that's been re-purposed by swapping valves out.

Here's some pictures to show what can happen when a SCBA tank ruptures: http://www.scubaengi..._servicingx.htm

Look at the corroded tanks, imagine buying one of those not knowing the internal condition and having it refilled and when you bring it home you bump it on the table leg?

I know us modelers can be a cheap lot some times but this is one case where it pays to spend the money to get it right from the beginning.

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

Curt,

Joel

You all misunderstood what I said, it is a bottle exchange, they give you a different bottle, they do not refill the expired bottle.

Curt

A 20lb tank is what I roll with, that's the size you see for soda fountains...so,I'd guess the most accessible.

A full tank (usually in the neighborhood of 600-800 psi depending on temp) lasts me about two years.

Initial set up is where you'll eat a bit of cost because you have to buy a regulator (you can get an adequate one in the $40.00-$50.00 range) and the cost of the tank ($140.00...?) after that though, depending on how you go about it, you swap out tanks with the supplier for about $14.00. I go to the local welding supply shop and swap mine. No hassle.

Some States try and screw you though, I used to live in Maine, they love taxes up there. I had to buy the tank, have it "inspected" and then when it came time to fill...they sent my tank off to get filled and then I had to come back a few days later and pick up my tank. It was a bit of a pain in the butt. But if your local welding supply, farm supply or what have you does the swap out thing, then it is pretty economical.

best part though, when it comes to airbrushing...silent, exact, controllable pressure and no moving parts.

Andrew, would you mind sharing the name of your supplier? Being that I'm in MD I'd like to see if I too have one in the area.

Thanks!

Rob

Andrew, would you mind sharing the name of your supplier? Being that I'm in MD I'd like to see if I too have one in the area.

Thanks!

Rob

I'm down by NAS Pax River and go to Three Mules Welding. There's one in Lexington Park and one in Mechanicsville.

Not CO2, but I pulled out of retirement from my racing days, one of these.

IMAG2758_zps3e4c03a6.jpg

I have been using it for the past few weeks, and I love it. Plumbed a regulator in it, and if need be I can put an inline water trap....so far havent needed it at all.

I can spray several colors on one filling, and when it gets low, just head to the garage and refill. My garage/shop compressor has a big tank and will fill this probably 6 times before ever having to flip the compressor on.

I was contemplating doing something along CO2, when I remembered about my old racing tank.

Lots of GOOD Advise here, guys.

Craig,

The only thing that I can add to this that I don't think has been mentioned is if you are riding the fence on if this is the way that you want to go or not. Contact your welding/dive shop that you are thinking about using for the tank and ask them if they rent/lease a tank. I know that several bars and restaurants don't buy the tanks, they just rent/lease them. The only drawback is that either way you go in the end, stay with it or get a compressor, you will be out the rental/lease fees for the time that you had it until you decide which way you are going to go. The only other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet and it may go without saying, but try your local Craigs List. Who knows you might find a fellow modeler that is selling his tank because he is going with a compressor and may be able to give you some heads up on your decision making. I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

I switched over to CO2 a few years ago from compressor and loved it. The only issue is that refills were expensive. Like $80 every couple months if you use it regularly.

A couple of my coworkers are big divers and i was complaining to them about the expense and I asked offhand how much it cost to fill a scuba tank..."I dunno $5?" I immediately switched over to compressed air.since I live in Hawaii there are tons of dive shops and so it's super cheap and convenient. I can bring in an empty and have it refilled in minutes.

If you take it to a dive shop they'll check the tank out to make sure that its not rusty and going to explode. You have to have it inspected yearly and maintained once every couple years.

The benefits of never having to bleed lines and no compressor humming away is well worth the initial upfront costs. Might wind up costing you about $300 since you'll need special fittings and work done, but I would never go back.

I'd never ever go back to a compressor. A 20# tank will last many models. Shop around and you should be able to buy one for around $120 plus a fill ($17 where I live). In most cases, when you take it for a refill they'll simply swap out the tank and give you one with a fresh(er) inspection.

The problem with compressed air is the moisture content. Commercial CO2 has essentially none (it's there but so utterly negligible as not to be worth mentioning).

CO2 is great.

The problem with compressed air is the moisture content. Commercial CO2 has essentially none (it's there but so utterly negligible as not to be worth mentioning).

CO2 is great.

This ^^^ .

I made the switch to CO2 when I lived on the FL Gulf Coast...with the amount of humidity there, there wasn't a moisture trap around that could stop a giant splash of H2O being shot onto my paint work!