Shapeways best resolution?

I heard back from Shapeways, and the new higher-resolution FUD will have the same drawbacks as the old FUD. So, don't hold your breath. It's likely to still be just as brittle and prone to irregular surface textures and of course, frosting over.

Aussie-Pete, definately get some XTC-3D if you get anything from Shapeways made with White, Strong and Flexible. One thin coat will turn that grainy surface into a smooth, porcelain-like finish! I tried every possible smoothing technique and nothing worked like this miracle stuff!

Hi Hotdog,

thanks for the tip. :coolio:

As you can see in this

, the coated surface but still requires a final finishing by sanding. However, this is almost impossible with a textured surface. :woot.gif:

What is your experience? undecided.gif

:wave:

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to print some of my older work but in the selection menu I don't see the new material. I'm not sure if I need to upload the STL files again -- my problem is that the files are gone (last year's disk crash). I'll have to check with Shapeways.

You can download your STLs from Shapeways.

From the Design page, click on My Models and click on the file you want. From the Edit Model page, click on View Product to get to your store preview. Towards the bottom of that page, just above the comments area is a button to Download Product.

All that being said, I'm seeing FXD as an option for most of my models, even ones that were uploaded several years ago, both in the My Models list and the Edit Model pages for individual files. It's right at the bottom of the Detail Acrylics materials. For files where it's not listed, the model's dimensions are outside the bounding box - too big for the printer - so it doesn't get displayed. (I also don't see options for precious metals, wax or colour sandstone and it similarly fails the bounding box for all those materials)

The bounding box for FXD is pretty tiny - 50 × 50 × 200 mm (about 2 x 2 x 8") vs. 284 × 184 × 203 mm for FUD, so that's the likeliest reason why you're not seeing it.

Another option: depending on the specific part, you *may* be able to slice up the STL file into a few parts with something like NetFabb. (if it's, say, a drop tank or missile, you can split it into a couple of segments; if it's an entire wing... not so much)

Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to re-build.

And once again it's worth noting, Shapeways are neither the only company out there, nor are they the best. They tend to run their printers geared towards mass production and robust handling, rather than really pushing the limits. The same printers they're using for FXD *can* print as large as 11.75 x 7.3 x 8" (298 x 185 x 203 mm). Do some digging around https://www.3dhubs.com/ and you'll probably find someone closer/cheaper/better.

• 1 year later...
On January 29, 2015 at 10:42 PM, taneal1 said:

Any recommendations for a free 3D software that is easy enough for someone who's never used a 3D CAD program?

Tom

FWIW Fusion360 is free for hobbyists. Just download the free trial and be sure to select hobbyist license. 

• 1 year later...

Since Shapeways has changed it's White, Strong and Flexible (WSF) material name to White Processed Versatile, I've noticed a dramatic improvement in the smoothness of the prints I've been getting. No longer do I need to smooth the surface with filler primer or the XTC-3D compound. The surface is smooth enough that a few of coats of paint will do the trick without any filler. I know this is likely due to the post-printing polishing process, but the part I received this week was even better than the polished WSF I received in the past.

On 8/15/2018 at 4:34 AM, Hotdog said:

It's indeed a better variant, and better than the WSF Polished as well. It's probably the same material, just a better printer.

Do you know, if there is a price difference for White Processed Versatile Plastic and White Natural Versatile Plastic?

smiley250.gif 

Well then show us the comparison.

How expensive was the previous part, printed with the normal WSF? :hmmm:

BTW, I have asked Michael Key for these materials, and he meant, that Processed White Versatile Plastic is the same material as White Versatile Plastic, but it goes through a polishing process with small beads. While it does lead to a smoother model, it takes away some detail. 

In the case of parts with small details, one shouldn't want to run the risk of the polishing process rubbing away the delicate detail. Therefore the Processed WVP is better for models with smooth surfaces instead of those with details. :coolio: 

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...