Hi all

I've been saving hard for sometime now for one of those Big! Tiffies and now I have one, yes the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon. I'm hoping I make a great job of her as I'm making this in memory of a wonderful chap I had the pleasure of talking to over lunch some time ago now, he flew these brutes and Mustang P-51B's during the war and some of his tales are scary and brave but a little humour was in amongst the fear.

So first up is the seat this was painted with Tamiya paints and a touch of artist oil for a wash.

IMG_1044_zps62b296d4.jpg

Secondly was the lower wing this to had Tamiya paint and was washed over with artist oil Vandyke Brown

DSC03314_zps4bc4dbbc.jpg

Thirdly was the framing, now for this I tried a new method of painting. I used Tamiya X18 semi gloss black as the first coat then I used warpaints shinning silver and then I thought this looks a bit dull so I then used rub n buff silver and bam she came to life and so this is the result.

DSC03320_zps9c91337d.jpg

DSC03321_zps02a6c138.jpg

DSC03322_zpsb2b2e0e6.jpg

DSC03325_zpsa1a85365.jpg

DSC03324_zps2dac8bf8.jpg

The Vandyke Brown was also used as a base wash on the framework as well as the wheel bays and cockpit, a little copper and brass was also rubbed in on the oil tank in front of the cockpit.

Thanks for stopping by.

Clive

Hi Alf glad you approve

yesterday I messed around with the guns, here are a few pics of the starboard wing guns I've just a few bits of painting to do on them and then they're good to fix in.

DSC03334_zps05923ab0.jpg

DSC03335_zpsfa1a3134.jpg

DSC03336_zps79e5f566.jpg

DSC03319_zps69f92243.jpg

And here is the guns in with a look at the bottom of the wing in place.

DSC03312_zps77b8fcf9.jpg

Thanks again for any interest.

Clive

Hi thanks crack and bigass heres the other gun out of the wing.

DSC03340_zps4ffbeb0c.jpg

DSC03341_zps8a07bf14.jpg

DSC03342_zps2d622310.jpg

DSC03343_zpsf9989492.jpg

Here is the wing fuel tank alongside the guns the tank was painted black then silver rub n buff was added and polished, the tanks not yet finished as it needs its sealing coat of paint.

DSC03329_zps9ba31144.jpg

Thanks for your kind interest.

Clive

Edited by viper494

It's nice to see someone tackle the Airfix 1/24 scale Typhoon. It's a super detailed kit for sure, and so far you've done a masterful job with it. Your cockpit is coming along quite nicely with just the right amount of weathering. Looking forward to following your build.

Joel

crack and bigass

HA! LOL! Sorry, had to do it.

For the brass casings, what paint did you use? It looks like it laid down relly well. Any major fit problems with the wing structure? I'm really digging this kit, just can't find it in me to plop down the $$$ to buy it, yet.

Hi peeps

thanks for your interest, this is all from the box baring a small amount of scratch build. Not much progress at present but here's a look of where I'm at.

DSC03331_zps1a7d0f4a.jpg

Thanks again for your interest till the next time.

Clive

Hi all

its a slow progress this one but we are getting there, I hope to have her done for the southern EXPO 2015.

Still here's a look at where I am with her, first off she is now starting to look like a Typhoon, the gear bays and the seat belts are the next on the list then finish the engine and put the tail on.

I thought I would add my little 1/72 Typhoon as a size comparison she's a huge bugger I must say.

DSC03457_zps635352f2.jpg

DSC03459_zps883bdff0.jpg

DSC03460_zps3f15b361.jpg

DSC03469_zps2b561491.jpg

DSC03486_zps1e34e324.jpg

DSC03488_zpsf3316033.jpg

DSC03467_zps893ebe54.jpg

DSC03468_zps48354241.jpg

That's all for now thanks for your interest and see you next time.

Clive

Thanks David & Joel, the built tiffie is in fact a 1/72 model I have.

Clive

Clive,

I know I'm half blind (really I am), but not to be able to tell the difference between a 1/72 and 1/48 scale Typhoon is pretty poor. :boohoo:/>

Joel

Hi all thanks for your interest in this build, I've had a go at finishing the cockpit off and so here it is the seat belts need to be added and so do the side walls but apart from a few wires this is nearly done.

DSC03495_zpsdebcb5f4.jpg

DSC03496_zps2cea6b8f.jpg

DSC03497_zpscb91750d.jpg

DSC03504_zpse2226d22.jpg

DSC03503_zps209c2b2c.jpg

Here's the engine its not finished but this is where I'm at.

DSC03498_zps2fa5c8ad.jpg

DSC03499_zps3a9d9da5.jpg

Finally the wheel bays have been finished off.

DSC03502_zps4562992a.jpg

Thanks again for your interest and stopping by, till the next time.

Clive

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I have not been at this for a while, it seems like this year has not got off to a great start as we lost our unborn child, I had an accident at work and its got that bad that I'm not able to do a great deal I'm hoping for a speedy recovery but I have been informed by my GP that elbow injuries can take a while to heal. Any road I have made a bit of progress where I can I'm hoping that I will have her done for the model show this weekend at Hornchurch in Essex.

Anyway on with the show.

Well she now has paint on her and I must say I'm quite pleased on how she's come out.

DSC03724_zpsdd5jxxmj.jpg

DSC03725_zpst8abvysn.jpg

The cockpit is nearly finished and so as not to loose all that wonderful detail that Airfix has put in I'm leaving the top part of the cockpit free.

DSC03726_zpsgdujloc8.jpg

The engine is also nearly finished just a few bits n bobs to do then in she goes.

DSC03727_zpsaizwlysl.jpg

This is a quick look at the underside, the whole thing needs a mild weathering but that's to come last so for now I'm adding the decals.

DSC03735_zpsqrkkomki.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and if you are going to Southern EXPO 2015 at Hornchurch then I will be on the Surrey Scale Model Club stand say hello would be nice to meet some new faces in the mean time its on with the decals.

Cheers all Clive

Wow! I can't believe Airfix now make such detailed kits. I remember making a 1/24 Airfix spit back in the 70's and it was nothing like that. And you have done the most amazing job, that is probably the best cockpit painting I've ever seen, it looks so real. The prop weathering is also excellent. Well done.

Hi Thomo

thanks for your interest, this is her on the bench she never made the model show.

DSC03745_zpsdjkkepm5.jpg

DSC03744_zpswjweqt9j.jpg

I hope to have her done soon but your rite Airfix have gone and done a super job on this kit.

Clive