A question for longtime Los Angeles area modelers...

I have a question for some long time Los Angelinos who may remember a particular model store. My memory is very fuzzy on this.

I am looking for a model shop/hobby shop that was in the western side of the basin, maybe Long Beach or Cerritos area. It was in an indoor shopping mall, and when you went in the door from the mall, there was a set of steps that went down into a basement type area. They had a little display up calling it (the basement area) the "bunker". You could look down into it as far as the steps went but that was about all you could see. I remember not being able to go down there, but cant remember why. I don't know if you had to have a parent with you or what it was, but I remember it being not open all the time to people.

This would have been in the '82-'84 time frame.

Does anybody remember anything like this?

There was a place called "The Military Shop" in Lakewood Mall around that time frame. It was on the west face of the mall facing Lakewood Blvd. Not sure if it had a bunker below but that was one of the more well known hobby shops in the area. It was located either in the city of Lakewood or Long Beach....both are neighboring cities. It closed down at some point and eventually re-opened at a different location but under the same name. I haven't stopped by in a while but it was still around as of a year or two ago.

Edited by wardog

Thanks everybody for the replies. I couldn't tell you what mall it was in, or even which city specifically. We lived in Lakewood around that time frame, and my grandmother lived in Long Beach, so chances are it could be somewhere between the two.

I want to say that whatever was in the basement portion was like a museum of sorts. There may have been a thing or two at the top of the steps, a uniform or a flag, or a wooden ammo crate, I cant really recall. Ive always been curious to know what was there.

Thanks for the memories!