1/48 RoG Dassault Rafale B

For my next Tiger I'm going to build the excellent RoG 1/48 Dassault Rafale B. This is one of my favourite kits as it's relatively easy to build and the fit is pretty darn good. The particular aircraft I'm building will be the OOB Armee de l'Air EC 5/330 Cote d'Argent CEAM bird that partiocipated in the 2006 NATO Tiger Meet. Here's the bad boy:

rafale-ceam-1-2008-08_zps818ea86b.jpg

The build will be totally OBB, decals included. I find that RoG's decals are pretty good so need for AM here, and as I'm closing the canopy, no need for super detailed cockpits either. So here's the seats:

DSC_1019_zpsf6efc678.jpg

Not sure if this is a general problem or a box specific one, but I've got two rear HUD's instead of a front and rear specific one. The instructions call out a front one, but the corresponding sprue piece is definately a rear HUD... :bandhead2:/>

DSC_1025_zps5eebf9ce.jpg

Here's the piece. The photo is of 100 but 99 is exactly the same as this one....

DSC_1027_zps531ddae8.jpg

Not happy, but hey..closed cockpit and all.

More to come.

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Painted the cockpits and the MLG wells...

DSC_1024_zpsfxua59wv.jpg

The wheel wells are not really visible when the plane is stationary so again no real need for super detailing.

DSC_1029_zpssbataww1.jpg

Here's the front cockpit with the HUD and pedals installed

DSC_1026_zpsn9hiokyz.jpg

And then the front wheel well. Glued with Extra Thin and held in place till thumb burn kicked in...

DSC_1030_zpsvnwxiwgm.jpg

Then chucked on the pegs front and rear...

DSC_1032_zpsvkmlcozn.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Front landing gear well assembly settled nicely...

DSC_1038_1_zps3aaae92e.jpg

Joined the cockpits ready for attachment to teh fuselage halves

DSC_1039_zpse0163f10.jpg

The fit was really good on the fuselage halves. Minimal filling and sanding will be required...

DSC_1041_zps564652d5.jpg

Rear fin halves joined up. I highlighted the panel lines and rivets to show the nice job Revell have done on the kit. Th ehighlight also works as a pre shading as I want the aircraft to be relatively clean as shown in the above photo, so no airbrush pre-shading for me now.

DSC_1037_1_zps65f16876.jpg

Wing halves also joined and highlighted...

DSC_1046_zps87c03dc0.jpg

The fuselage settled well and looks good...

DSC_1047_zpsac8c08ae.jpg

Added the intakes. A small fit issue here but noth major. Only small amounts of putty will be required...

DSC_1052_zpsc309cf7b.jpg

DSC_1050_zps5fd94f74.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Life finally got out of the way and I've managed to get some more work done. Firstly got the fuel tanks done. After sanding and getting rid of seam lines I pre-shaded:

DSC_1083_zps368c6edb.jpg

Then painted with Gunze Aqueous 307 (FS 36320). This is what I find matches the Rafale colour the most according to my eye and have read this on a number of threads on various forums. Will look the biz when they get a coat of Tamiya Flat clear. The pre-shading isn't that visible in the photos but it is there (although very slight) I'm not going for an overly weathered bird so I'm keeping the weathering to a minimum. The tanks will receive some post shading to replicate oil stains etc, but again, minimal:

DSC_1088_zpscf39349a.jpg

Like most kits, the wing roots present a filling challenge although its not that bad on the RoG Rafale. Instead of my usual go to filler of Tamiya white putty I tried Mr Surfacer for the first time. Works a treat for these types of smaller fill areas. Sands really easily so you don't lose too much detail in the process.

DSC_1085_zps6c136e37.jpg

DSC_1087_zpscbd526cd.jpg

Attached the tail fin as well. Next step will be to run a wash over it to see any detail that may need rescribing

DSC_1089_zps4f794e59.jpg

Oh, your french guy comes along nicely! Good to know about the Gunze color, still have some Rafales in the stash...

Mr.Surfacer was my 1st choice for liquid putty some years ago, that stuff is good! BUT it needs time to dry! That's why I switched to CA glue and accelerator...now only a few seconds drying time and the dry CA is about the same hardness - that is a big advantage when it comes to rescribing /riveting!

Also tamiya putty WAS in use...until I realized some shrinking of the dry putty. After that I switched to 2 compound putty: called magic sculp. Well, really recommended!

Thanks Tobi! Ran a wash over the bird to check for areas to re-scribe and for some subtle weathering. With wash:

DSC_1091_zpscac10d3a.jpg

Wash removed:

DSC_1092_zpsffb7a9d5.jpg

Masked off the front canopy and added a few of the last bits of the office and the main part of the canopy:

DSC_1093_zpsc4bd287c.jpg

DSC_1094_zps0a649dd8.jpg

DSC_1095_zps0e5c863d.jpg

Canopy was masked off with a combination of Montex masks and Tamiya tape. The Montex was actually for the Hobby Boss kit and didn't quite fit the RoG canopy, but it did get some of the trick curves of the frame done. Ready to paint!!!

DSC_1096_zps6a1a0248.jpg

DSC_1097_zps0ae7acfe.jpg

You know that feeling you get when you nail your mixtures and the paint job goes down like a dream? That's what I felt when I painted this. Smooth as silk finish and just the right amount of covering of the panel wash. Awwww yeah! Super happy with the end result! :banana:

DSC_1098_zpse8754411.jpg

DSC_1099_zps61770d31.jpg

While that was drying I finished the wheels...always tedious...

DSC_1100_zpsb8da6d1d.jpg

Thanks for stopping by...

• 3 weeks later...

Fiiiiinaly got back from work travels. Down to a lot of the fiddly bits now. Masked off and painted chafe dispensers...

DSC_1101_zpsdvmw7nhd.jpg

DSC_1102_zpsmbm6ssdu.jpg

Some more making off and painting of details on the tail fin and the metallic section on the base of the fin. The colours look a bit vivid in the photos and they will need some blending once the final weathering is done.

DSC_1132_zpspxkegzvm.jpg

The fit with the lights on the wings is okayish. Might need some filling. Painful but will have to be done. In hindsight I should have glued these before painting and filled in gaps and then masked them off before painting. Also the photos tend to bring up some of the more minuscule bits that need to be fixed. Note the smoothing out required on the leading edge of the wing near where it meets the fuselage...

DSC_1133_zpsi7qfukqc.jpg

Started on some of the decals. The stock RoG decals lay down pretty good.

DSC_1128_zpsf6njrqef.jpg

DSC_1130_zpsr7yolkff.jpg

Tiger time. Here are the decals applied to the canards...

DSC_1129_zpswysqhyy6.jpg

Lots of decaling coming up! Thanks for stopping by.

Small update today. Progress is slow due to work and the young ones being sick. The major artwork decals are on. Phew! They took a heap of softener to conform to panel lines and I had to run an Xacto along some of the deeper demarcation lines (leading edges, tail fin etc) in order to get them to settle nicely. The decals can up a bit short on the tail fin especially and I'll need to colour match them to do some touch up work. All in all though, happy with the way they went down. Now for the multitude of stencils. I also did the darker colour on the nose cone.

DSC_1141_zpsgsss07x4.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Tobi! I like decaling as well but putting on some of the bigger ones can be intimidating especially when they need to conform around some major lumps and bumps. Although the RoG decals settle well in the end they are thick to start off with so there is that oh sh!t moment for a while before they finally settle down.

Thanks SERNAK. Some more decaling and detail work done. Got the walkway decals done. Used Mr Setter as well as Softener on these to avoid any sivering as there was quite a bit of clear film between the various pieces.

DSC_1143_zpsiaypl9eu.jpg

DSC_1148_zpsrw0mqw4a.jpg

Needed to put some more softener on the tailfin decals as they were still looking a bit stiff and toy like (if you know what I mean)

DSC_1144_zpstbiakpa5.jpg

Starting to look like a Tiger Meet bird now!

DSC_1145_zps7lojllnc.jpg

Also did a bit more detailing work around the intakes and various other bits and pieces. I redid the chaffe dispensers (?) in a darker colour as all the ref pics I have seen seem to show them as a dark grey as opposed to the instructions guide of light blue grey.

DSC_1146_zpsayoucqo0.jpg

DSC_1147_zpsbjgmthjq.jpg

Still need to add the little bits near the exhausts that have the bottles (not sure what they are). They are slightly darker than the airframe colour and although not really clear in this photo, the bottles are lighter in colour as well as the two switch type levers.

DSC_1149_zpseuvmle34.jpg

More stenciling to be done!

Those "bottles" are small rear view cameras! Nowadyas the french Air Force has female pilots, too. And these cams are used for parking the Rafale properly. Especially when the parking is just big enough for a 2CV!

:stupid:

Those "bottles" are small rear view cameras! Nowadyas the french Air Force has female pilots, too. And these cams are used for parking the Rafale properly. Especially when the parking is just big enough for a 2CV!

:stupid:

sarcasm_zpsczupimt0.jpg

At least about the camera part... :D

Small update today. I finished up the MICA missiles and the gas tanks. The actual plane only carried 2 MICAs on the wingtip rails. I realised after I had fixed the RF seeker heads that this particular bird carried the MICA IR in all the ref pics I have seen :bandhead2: Dammit! Oh well. I do have a Skunkworks French Weapons Set that I could have used but I was really happy with the way the OOB ones came out and to be honest, I can't be assed.

DSC_1157%201_zps0nu8iyry.jpg

Gas tanks. They need a coat of Tamiya Flat Clear now. The actual bird carries three of these, however the kit only comes with decals for 2! I might have to paint up the markings on the third tank, or just hide it in the centreline:

DSC_1158_zpseeeuhjt9.jpg

Stenciling continues in earnest. There are so many! And then it's dreaded landing gear...The bane of my existence...

I took the masking off the canopy. Whenever I do this it's like in the movies when they take the bandages off a patient after major reconstructive surgery. Exhaled in relief when I saw that there was no leakage! I've started on the landing gear but have lost one of the scissors on the MLG :bandhead2: Will have to raid the stash as I can't now make this an in flight bird (no pilots) :(

DSC_1163_zps3khnloa3.jpg