CD72035 - Douglas C-54/R5D Skymaster Part 1

CD72035 will be the first of the two decal sheets I will be releasing for the upcoming 1/72 Revell C-54 kit.

These two sheets will feature markings for both Blue Angels and Thunderbirds support aircraft, and other interesting USAF and USN options. I have been working on these for a while, and will start posting more information and profiles as soon as I wrap up the design of the KC-135R sheet this weekend.

Edited by KursadA

Any thought about civil versions?

I'm not up this subject, I assume you could build a DC-4 out of this kit? Even if not, plenty of really interesting ex-military C-54's out there.

I agree that there are very attractive civilian schemes (Buffalo etc.) for this airframe. But my priority is delivering the Blue Angels/Thunderbirds markings and other 6-7 military options I have been working on for more than a month. I guess you all know I am already spread fairly thin, and there are several new releases (Shackleton etc.) coming down the road that I would like to divert my attention to.

I will not rule out civilian markings for possible future sheets, but these two sheets will not include any. Considering how popular the DC-4 was, I am sure we will see civilian markings from multiple sources.

• 3 months later...

I would favour a USN R5D from VXE-6 from the Antarctic with the port penguin motive or a Danish one.

http://www.vaq34.com/vxe6/r5d.htm

Mach 2 offered the VXE-6 version in his kit.

If you need some measurements of the new kit, I have the testshot here.

Thanks for the offer - some measurements would indeed speed up the design process. I had so far been using parts of a Helller DC-6 kit to design this sheet. I will send you a PM.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an update to bring this thread to the front before I start posting profiles : I got my kit this past weekend, and I am glad to see that the artwork that I scaled with the help of the Heller DC-6 kit fit the new Revell kit very well. I am just working on some tweaks to the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds and some other USAF artwork and will post profiles this week. It looks like I have material for two different sheets.

Good to see you will do Thunderbirds markings for it. I have been wanting o build one in those colors but only thing was out there was to small for my interest. Glad RoG came out with this in 1/72. So, I'll be grabing a set for sure :thumbsup:/>

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I am working hard to finish the first C-54 sheet.

As I kept working on the design, I came to believe that there may be some shape issues with the tail of the Revell kit. I think it is a bit narrow. Perhaps not major, but significant enough to complicate decal design. Interestingly the old Heller DC-6 kit has a much better tail profile. I wish I had the time to drop everything and illustrate the issue; but I do not - I am sure you will hear about it as more people get the kit and start comparing it to photos & drawings.

Edited by KursadA
  • 3 weeks later...

The first sheet will have the Blue Angels R5D (both early and late "yellow 8" provided to build either BuNo 50868 or 91996), the 320th TCS example and the last Vittles flight C-54G. The second sheet will have a few USAF/USN options including one MATS and one SC-54, and the third sheet will be the Thunderbirds C-54. All three C-54 sheets from Caracal Models will share the same common USAF/US insignia sheet.

cd72035draft.jpgcd72035draft2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am still pretty busy shipping your preorders, and I realized I did not have time to post any photos of the actual decals - here are a couple. This is proving to be a very popular sheet; I will be building the 320 TCS (Tinian) option myself.

oct02.jpg

oct03.jpg

Regarding the Blue Angels R5D, it appears the nose, fuselage cheat line, engine cowl fronts and the vertical tail tip will have to be painted. No problem. The yellow used on the R5D was FS13538 Orange Yellow. Are the MM13538 Chrome Yellow #1707 or #4683 close matches to the printed decals? Any other paint brands available? Looking forward to this and the T-Birds sheet. Thanks, Dean

The instructions make it clear that the best results will be obtained through masking and painting all yellow parts, including the "scalloping" on the nose. That said, I just had to provide a decal option for it. The yellow color is as close a match as the decal printer could do.

The reference Web site will provide a downloadable DXF file to allow you to cut your own vinyl masks using a Silhouette cutter or any local sign shop. As I mentioned, I strongly recommend masking and painting all yellow areas.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...