I am sure there have been a few threads on this already, but I wanted to see how much time everyone gets (or doesn't get) at the bench.

With a TTomcat jr on the way I am thinking about this more.

Whats odd though is even with free time I probably still only get about a good solid hour at the bench. I was curious if I could keep this up, maybe a little more here or there but averaging 365 hours at the bench a year is probably pretty damn good. I also have noticed I start to lose focus or patience after too long at the bench. I rarely exceed 90 minutes. An hour seems about right in terms of actual productivity.

Any thoughts? how many hours a week or day or month do you spend at the old modeling bench?

Indeed congrats on the future addition to your family! For me it varies according to our schedule. The winter months (November to early-March) are much easier to get some good solid daily bench time in (1 to 1.5 hours daily easy...late hours, but hours nonetheless). I get most of my completed builds done during these months. We have two kids who both are very heavy into spring-to-late fall outdoor activities. So my bench time is diminished during this time. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I would much rather watch my Son play and practice baseball and my Daughter ride her horse in competition and in practice over staring at plastic that will be there when time permits. I just view my time with them being finite whereas my models will always be there waiting for me when I am ready. Having written that, I am a night hawk and aside from watching the Steelers, hockey, baseball, NASCAR, and English premiership soccer I am no TV fan. So I can model well into the late night when everyone else is sleeping so my hobby doesn't disrupt the family comings and goings. Even during our "busy" months I simply make time (and my Wife supports me) because I enjoy it and its good for mental health ;).

Good luck with the new addition. BEST job EVER!!

Cheers!

Don

:cheers:

My advice is to get as much time in as possible before they start extra curricular activities. With only two kids of my own it seems that whenever I have spare time I'm either worn out from work and have no desire to sit down and focus on working on a model. My stash just keeps growing and never seems to decrease in size. But in the end it's all worth the sacrifice.

When I was working I was lucky to get 3 or 4 hours a week-end at the workbench. But since I retired early last year, I've been able to put in 2 to 3 hours a day on average. Sometimes a little more, and some days I don't work at it at all. I like that I can do a little bit of work every day now, rather than only being able to build on weekends. I can stay focused more and not lose track of where I'm at & make mistakes (which I tended to do before). Enjoying the hobby more now than I ever did.

BW

Good luck TT. I've got 15 and 3 year old girls. My modeling time is at best an hour/week. I've obviously got a bit more free time than that (not much though) but modeling competes with my other interests - reading or just having a beer and playing a mindless shoot em up game on the PC. If I had the energy, I could probably do some additional modeling after everyone is in bed (I tend to go to bed later than the rest of the house) but by 10PM, I really don't have the motivation.

Only time I can really get a bit of work down is if I have a day off from work or if the wife takes the kids somewhere for a few hours (which she is doing tomorrow :)/> ).

Edited by 11bee

My advice is to get as much time in as possible before they start extra curricular activities. With only two kids of my own it seems that whenever I have spare time I'm either worn out from work and have no desire to sit down and focus on working on a model. My stash just keeps growing and never seems to decrease in size. But in the end it's all worth the sacrifice.

This

Two kids as well. With work, picking up from preschool, picking up from regular school, making dinner some nights, and putting them to bed. It's almost a chore to work on anything. That said I probably get about 5-6 hours a week if I have something I'm working on and hasn't stalled.

Less than an hour a week for me. It's not that I don't have time per se but other things seem to always get in the way. And, like some, even if I do have the motivation to work on something, I can only sit and work for an hour. Anything more than that and I lose enthusiasm.

Rob

Edited by galileo1

Congrats on the little one!! The CorsairKid is almost one. The time just flies by. Bench time is reduced from pre baby days but its still pretty good. We are lucky she's always been a big sleeper so after 7 I can go as long as I like.

As much or as little as I want. There are days where I can spend hours at the bench and then I can go a week or so without touching a kit. Whenever the mood strikes me, I'll sit down and have a go. If I'm in a bit of a funk, I'll sit for 5 - 10 minutes to glue a couple of pieces together. Before you know it, those few minutes here and there add up to a completed kit.

Congrats on the new addition.

Up here in Canadark, there's not much to do in the winter time and I hate most TV, so I model- a lot. My wife is a big time quilter for the same reason so she doesn't mind and our kids are long gone out of the house. Congrat's on the little one coming and don't worry about it cutting into your modeling time at all. There will be plenty time for that when you're older and time spent with your kids now will pay off in the end. My wife and I spent many years driving my son and daughter to all sorts of sporting events to keep them out of trouble and we couldn't be prouder of them now. We must have done something right, but we have a few friends who have kids that will be a burden to them for the rest of their lives. These kids were mostly ignored as their parents focused on their careers instead and now they are paying the price.

With that background, I spend about 2-3 hours per day in the winter, which is at least 6 months. With vacation time thrown in, that's probably only 5 months, so I'm guessing 350-450 hours. During the remaining 6 months, my modeling time is cut way back due to outdoor activities, so I guess I average about 500 hours per year. That's a lot of modeling time, but it generally goes into only one model because I'm slow and picky! :rolleyes:

Depends on my jobs.... Lately I picked up another job as a snow plow operator at YYZ on the Central DeIce facility so I am constantly on call when I am on days off from the Airline Job in the winter. I also drive a cab part time locally. So 1 to 2 hours on the bench every 2-3 weeks or when I can. We have no kids so my wife and I are focused on our careers and mine is coming to an end soon..... so I have been looking for setting myself up for Retirement. Funny at the age of 46 using the 'R' word. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...