I built this model as an entrant in ARC Hornet's Nest GB. Unfortunately, I could not get it finished before the GB ended. The WIP thread can be found HERE

I used Hasegawa 1/72 EA-18G kit with TwoBobs CONA decal sheet. To be honest, I'm slightly disappointed at TwoBobs' decal this time around since they only printed one name for the backseat driver (is it still called WSO on Growler?), while they should've printed two. I would not have cared at all if it were the teeny weeny tiny stencil, but the crew names are quite obvious. Also, the paint call out is incorrect in some areas. E.g.: the large bump on the spine is supposed to have a grey panel, so are the bard stacks. TwoBobs' instruction sheet specified they were all dark blue. Same goes for the wing fences, where are supposed to be light blue.

IMG_6703_zpsc4f84f00.jpg

IMG_6704_zps3fb9ec9c.jpg

IMG_6705_zps80fb23b9.jpg

Now, "standard" Hasegawa Super Hornets require quite a bit of filling already, but the Growler needs MORE! The gun port and the... flare/chaff dispensers? They need to be filled. If only Hasegawa designed their parts break down such that they were more modular, then we would not have to do this. I *think* if Revell wanted to release a Growler, they should be able to supply a different parts for these areas so that we don't have to fill.

IMG_6707_zps250732fa.jpg

IMG_6708_zpsc2487a87.jpg

IMG_6709_zps91090890.jpg

IMG_6710_zps25d7b719.jpg

One of the biggest mistakes I made during construction was putting together and gluing the wingtip jammer pods too early. I shouldn't have glued them on until AFTER painting. Net result of the multitudes of masking and respraying/repainting: Losing one of the triangular fins.

One thing that I also discovered about the Hasegawa Growler kit is that I don't think it's meant to be built with 4 jamming pods under the wings installed, since a couple of the stencils were short by 2.

I decided to apply very minimal weathering - underneath (near the jet exhaust) and gear struts, no weathering anywhere else - since this is a show bird, so it should be very clean anyway.

continued...

IMG_6711_zps45f7e805.jpg

IMG_6713_zpsd0febda9.jpg

IMG_6714_zps2047e5d1.jpg

IMG_6715_zps1eab9e12.jpg

List of paints that I used:

- Grey: Gunze Aqueous H308 (FS36375)

- Dark blue: LifeColor Matt Dark Blue (LC 10)

- Light blue: 2 parts LifeColor UA037 (Air Superiority Blue) and 1 part LifeColor Matt Dark Blue (LC 10)

- Jet exhaust: Mr Metal Color Dark Iron and Iron

- Stain near jet exhaust: Tamiya Smoke

- Finishing coat: Tamiya semi-gloss clear

Blends in nicely with IKEA's blue BILLI bookcase, doesn't it? LOL!

IMG_6719_zps8cd7f227.jpg

IMG_6722_zps4f85e9bd.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• 4 weeks later...