• 2 weeks later...

To protect the painjob on all three models I decided to apply a clear cote which also leaves them ready to apply the decals.

I couldn't help myself and I had to apply some decals to one of them, since Aztec's set is for the EA and not much research needs to be done there I started with it. It's a mixture of Aztecs and kit decals.

Something VERY disappointing was to see Aztec decals after about two years of storage show cracks, it's just not acceptable I'll write them to get a replacement.

IMG_20150331_224854985.jpg

After about 30min it looks awesome!. Also tested how the fuel tanks and missile rails look installed :)

IMG_20150402_114745566.jpg

IMG_20150402_114730222.jpg

I left unpainted the wheel wells because I don't like masking on silver, the downside of that decision is that you really have to protect the rest of the paint job of the floating silver particles that get airborne for a long time after the paint process is finished.

IMG_20150402_123100753.jpg

Tried to paint the guns by hand but it turned out horrible.

IMG_20150402_223825483_HDR.jpg

Underside done, once the clear cote is a couple days old I'll do the weathering.

IMG_20150402_230613412.jpg

One of the most recognizable differences between twin-sitter Daggers and Mirages IIID is this light in the tail, so I couldn't not have it replicated.

Do you have a photo showing this light ? AFAIK the thing on the fin leading edge is an antenna radome.

Do you have a photo showing this light ? AFAIK the thing on the fin leading edge is an antenna radome.

Sure, I studied the damn thing quite a lot :)/> Daggers are a version of the Mirage V which is a simplified version of the Mirage III, so is no sourprise that some equipment was just removed.

Dagger

40aniversario4.jpg

Mirage IIIDA

CE7C3A1CD.jpg

Edited by Der Grüne Punkt

Oookaaaay. Basically the Dagger B doesn't have antenna radomes at the fin LEX and on the fin LE that the IIIDA does. I didn't know that. Thanks !

Edited by Laurent

Der Grune Punkt,

It's hard to see in the pictures, but was that one decal the only one you had issues with, or did you opt for other decals instead?

Nice prep work masking the wheel wells. Nothing is going to get through all of masking.

I can't help but think that installing the red clear lens in the leading edge of the tail on the Mirages IIID would have been a lot easier before painting. But the end results certainly show that with some touch up painting, doing it after also works quite well.

Joel

It's hard to see in the pictures, but was that one decal the only one you had issues with, or did you opt for other decals instead?

There's a few more on the decal sheet, I used the good ones. I'll post a picture later.

I can't help but think that installing the red clear lens in the leading edge of the tail on the Mirages IIID would have been a lot easier before painting. But the end results certainly show that with some touch up painting, doing it after also works quite well.

You think that and you're right. I decided to do a Dagger instead of a Mirage before painting, and to be honest it wasn't that much work, as you can see I didn't made a big mess, using masks I preserver it pretty well.

After the boring job of painting the cannon muzzles on all three aircraft I started decaling the Finger.

IMG_20150402_223825483_HDR_1.jpg

IMG_20150406_212745650.jpg

Obviously, argentine aircraft are not very interesting to decal companies so to do a more or less accurate Finger I have to source decals from all my collection and maybe more.

IMG_20150406_230759341.jpg

Half way there

IMG_20150407_223803091.jpg

Thanks for looking, Cheers!

Now working on the ordenance, this cool fuel tanks with bomb racks ready to the metallic paint coat, took quite some job to not to have seam lines, but I'm pretty sure that silver works will show some fault :(

IMG_20150412_181146149.jpg

Borrowed from a Kfir kit, this PRR looks really cool fully loaded. On the background you see the 20 mk.82's snake eyes I built and won't use on this project, I'm pretty sure some F-4 maybe will accept them with no complaints :)

IMG_20150412_185317179.jpg

IMG_20150412_185726529.jpg

Eight loaded and 10 more to go!

IMG_20150412_191212309.jpg

Thanks for watching

• 2 weeks later...

Dirt time!

Finger is ready to receive dirt!, last picture as factory fresh :)

IMG_20150422_200925450.jpg

Oils, the greatest thing for those who cannot make up our minds when wheathering, it give you days and days to come back and to fix, and change.

IMG_20150422_200933076.jpg

The underside on Mirages are usually pretty dirty and 80's Argentinian Mirages, even more.

IMG_20150422_202306432.jpg

One wing done!, slowly starts to look less like the toy it is and more like the aircraft it tries to mimic.

IMG_20150423_124758008.jpg

The usual colors I use in generous amounts:

IMG_20150423_124945452.jpg

Fear not!, they will come off

IMG_20150423_125043436.jpg

Second layer:

IMG_20150423_125232919.jpg

IMG_20150423_125334612.jpg

Lighting up some areas creates a more authentic appearance:

IMG_20150423_132539308.jpg

Noooiiiceee...!!! :woot.gif: Always was of the idea that the early Fingers in their SEA camo look way much better than the later ones in Low-Vis. Incidentally; where the heck did ya eva get those Finger IIIA stencils in 1/48 from?

One wing done!, slowly starts to look less like the toy it is and more like the aircraft it tries to mimic.

Strewth! Teeth still grindin' at readin' ya call models toys... :explode:

Cheers now,

Unc²

Noooiiiceee...!!! :woot.gif:/> Always was of the idea that the early Fingers in their SEA camo look way much better than the later ones in Low-Vis. Incidentally; where the heck did ya eva get those Finger IIIA stencils in 1/48 from?

Strewth! Teeth still grindin' at readin' ya call models toys... :explode:/>

Cheers now,

Unc²

Thanks?, not trying to be mean, but I gave up a long time ago trying to understand what you write, I hope you consider start writing in a language we all understand the first time we read it.

Cheers

I gave up a long time ago trying to understand what you write, I hope you consider start writing in a language we all understand the first time we read it.

:rofl: Aw, bloke; ne'er had to live way out in the boondocks, had ye...? Quite afraid that whut ya ask is gettin' a tad difficult for me to overcome with each passin' year, y'know. :P

Still, my enquiry ain't answered. ;)

Ta-ta...

Unc²

Looking very good. One of these days I want to build an exotic (non-French and non-Isreali) SEA Mirage just like this one! After going through your build and seeing your recent weathering I am more intrigued. I can't seem to find color photos of Argentine SEA Mirages though, do you have some sites that I could study? Also are there other Mirage operators that use the SEA camo besides Argentina? Belgium is the only other operator I know of that fits the bill.

Still, my enquiry ain't answered. ;)

Ta-ta...

Unc²

Aaaah! Finger three stencils in the paint for Argentine hanger? Radio 48 decal or dry transfer still Finger, Dagger and Nasher. Maybe Nasher behind the armoire. Safe bet for parallel laces, eh? ;)

not trying to be mean, but I gave up a long time ago trying to understand what you write, I hope you consider start writing in a language we all understand the first time we read it.

I think Unc was brought up by Pirates?

I think Unc was brought up by Pirates?

Aaaarrrr...!!! :lol:

I can't seem to find color photos of Argentine SEA Mirages though, do you have some sites that I could study?

Hey, Jay! :wave:

Send me a PM. I might have sumthin' for ye. :)

Thanks for the info, by the way.

Cheers 'em

Unc²

Aaaah! Finger three stencils in the paint for Argentine hanger? Radio 48 decal or dry transfer still Finger, Dagger and Nasher. Maybe Nasher behind the armoire. Safe bet for parallel laces, eh? ;)/>

LOL... classic!