HE-111P interior color

Swanny's website concurs...RLM 02. RLM 66 for the He 111H-6 and on.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Painting.html

I made the same query to HyperScale a couple of years ago when I was working on an H-3. Responses from Steven Eisenman (along with photos that are no longer online) indicated that, contrary to the rules, He 111s had 66 cockpits from the P model on.

Edited by seawinder

I would not say regardless of the timeframe, but it is a pretty safe bet looking at mid-39 onwards. If you look at say the pre war He111 A to E I wouldn't be so sure, but P and onwards I'd probably paint it all RLM66. The Norwegian Ju88A-1 pulled out of the lake was all RLM66 interior for example, and that first flew in January 1940, while the http://www.swannysmodels.com/Painting.html outlines Ju88 to have RLM02 throughout the whole A and B series. So I'd toss all of that out the window.

Well now I'm confused ! I have the brand new Airfix Dornier Do. 17Z to build, and according to the instructions the interior is Humbrol 240, which is RLM Grau 02, I also have the Squadron Signal He. 111 walkround book, which states that the interior of the He. 111P preserved in Norway is RLM 66, so Which is correct ? :huh:/>

Edited by hooter

Well now I'm confused ! I have the brand new Airfix Dornier Do. 17Z to build, and according to the instructions the interior is Humbrol 240, which is RLM Grau 02, I also have the Squadron Signal He. 111 walkround book, which states that the interior of the He. 111P preserved in Norway is RLM 66, so Which is correct ? :huh:/>/>

What's/who's to say that Airfix have the call-out correct?

Do 17Z was 66 dark gray-green also. Airfix is quite wrong. Ju 88 was 66 as was He 111P and the Fw 190A.

BTW, there were no rules. The LW just came to the conclusion that 66 was the better choice.

You could always post at HS and ask there also.

Edited by bigjugs

Don't build German stuff but I would not just say Airfix is wrong as the Colours in their new kits seem to be pretty accurate. Based on experience I have questioned some of their colour call outs in the new kits but further research has shown them right so I don't think they just guess. The Do17 started life as an airliner before the 111 so I would not be surprised if they used the earlier (02) colour but I don't claim to be an expert....

Edited by RCAFFAN

66 is grey-green?

It started off as a dark gray with a green tinge to it. Actually, according to Jerry Crandall there were about 11 documented variations on the color RLM 66. Might have been better to say a dark greenish gray. Tamiya German Gray is the easiest answer. With perhaps a drop of dark green for the early version.

Don't build German stuff but I would not just say Airfix is wrong as the Colours in their new kits seem to be pretty accurate. Based on experience I have questioned some of their colour call outs in the new kits but further research has shown them right so I don't think they just guess. The Do17 started life as an airliner before the 111 so I would not be surprised if they used the earlier (02) colour but I don't claim to be an expert....

Airfix is wrong. The Do 17 started out as a fast mail carrier with the possibility of carrying up to 6 passenger, which Lufthansa rejected. All that does not mean 02 was used in the cockpit, especially as 02 was a RLM color designation not a civilian color. It might have, but there are no clear pictures of the V series.