Today's beautiful Gloster Jet 2/3/15

Straight from Sir Frank Whittle’s mouth at a lecture at the USAFM a long while back. While testing the first jet turbine they were using an electric motor to start a gas piston engine which in turn spun the turbine up to speed. The gas two-stroke was the short straw in the starting chain. It constantly broke down or wouldn’t run at full speed. One day while the degreed engineers were tinkering with the little gasoline engine, trying to get it to run consistently again. The humble shop floor sweep dared to ask the engineers a question; “Pardon me gentlemen, maybe you could explain why you’re using a 10 Hp electric motor to start a 6Hp gas motor to start your device there. Why don’t you just use the bigger electric one to start the device directly?” So that’s why jet engines have electric starters! :rolleyes:

Straight from Sir Frank Whittle's mouth at a lecture at the USAFM a long while back. While testing the first jet turbine they were using an electric motor to start a gas piston engine which in turn spun the turbine up to speed. The gas two-stroke was the short straw in the starting chain. It constantly broke down or wouldn't run at full speed. One day while the degreed engineers were tinkering with the little gasoline engine, trying to get it to run consistently again. The humble shop floor sweep dared to ask the engineers a question; "Pardon me gentlemen, maybe you could explain why you're using a 10 Hp electric motor to start a 6Hp gas motor to start your device there. Why don't you just use the bigger electric one to start the device directly?" So that's why jet engines have electric starters! rolleyes.gif

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif Give that man an office!

My father has a connection to that aircraft, almost literally. When he was doing a solo circuit in a Tiger Moth, he saw a speck approaching at high speed. It whizzed by him uncomfortably close in the opposite direction. Rather miffed at the close call, he reported it upon landing. He noted that he saw no propeller, and that it made a strange noise. He was told that not only had he seen nothing, but he was not to tell anyone that he had seen nothing. whistle.gif

Nice job on that kit, Serge, I'll have to show dad that one. 70.gif

• 1 month later...