Great Homemade R/C F-16

It is most probably stable. Just because it is a scale model doesn't mean it has the center of gravity in the same place as the original. However, the technology available to a RC enthusiast today would probably make it possible to build unstable aircraft. See for example all those tiny helicopters and multicopters that are perfectly stable in flight without the need for constant microscopic inputs from the pilot.

Steve is right; fly by wire/relaxed stability is still not a reality for us rc pilots. I sure wish it was, as it would solve a lot of problems! Specifically, many WW2 fighters come out tail heavy as built, and then need a huge chunk of lead in the nose to make it stable, which in turn leads to higher wing loadings, higher stall speeds and just bad bad bad. I have tried using a gyro stabiliser to try and overcome this, but it introduces more problems than it solves. It is this question of stability and high wing loadings that leads to many "scale" rc planes looking laughable to a plastic model builder, the design has introduced compromises to make it fly better.

Absolutely amazing...

And to compliment that - in the "I can't even believe that's possible" -

Beyond belief...

Ah, so the Russians have developed Shrink Ray Technology?!

That Yak even had its own APU!

Ah, so the Russians have developed Shrink Ray Technology?!

That Yak even had its own APU!

Erik,

I just watched that video. Oh my God! I've never seen anything like that. Simply amazing. I would really be interested in knowing just how much the various components cost, and the total amount for the build. I really have no idea, but I'm guessing to duplicate it's easy low 5 figures.

Joel

Well, Joel, no idea of the costs involved. I guess it depends on whether you build it yourself or if you buy it in kit form. But just one jet turbine costs between three and six thousand, and this model seems to have three of them, two for propulsion and one smaller as an APU. If you would be able to buy this aircraft finished or as a complete kit, my guess is that you could buy yourself a full scale aircraft for the same money.

Anyway, that is way out of my budget. But I´d like to see a 1/48 kit of the Yak, I think it´s a cool looking aircraft, and such a kit would be well within my budget.

/E

Well, Joel, no idea of the costs involved. I guess it depends on whether you build it yourself or if you buy it in kit form. But just one jet turbine costs between three and six thousand, and this model seems to have three of them, two for propulsion and one smaller as an APU. If you would be able to buy this aircraft finished or as a complete kit, my guess is that you could buy yourself a full scale aircraft for the same money.

Anyway, that is way out of my budget. But I´d like to see a 1/48 kit of the Yak, I think it´s a cool looking aircraft, and such a kit would be well within my budget.

/E

Eric,

I had no idea that each engine costs that much. And RC guys actually spend that much on their builds? I'm just wondering how a company like that actually makes enough money to stay in business.

Joel

As I understand from glancing at the RusJet website, they are an RC flying club, and the Yak was a club project. But yes, some seem to have more money than sense.. check out the jet engined B-52 on youtube.. Yes, that´s 8 jet engines.. There is even one clip of it crashing, and even the following fire is realistic. Far more realistic than what I ever achieved in my youth with firecrackers and 1/72nd scale aircraft and tanks.

I actually had the pleasure of seeing both the Dutch demo-viper and a Yak 130 (although not the same individual aircraft as the RC kit) perform at Riat 2012..

F16NL.jpg

Yak.jpg