For those :foof: among the ARC massive, if you have ever done in the distant past or more recently one of the Monogram 1/48 WWII Navy birds such as the Corsair, Hellcat, Wildcat, SB2C Helldiver or SBD Dauntless, did you complete the build with the wings able to be folded ? ; if so which modeling glue did you use and what lubricant was used to allow for the easy movement. I did them early in my modeling career, and used a thin coating of vaseline to insure smooth movement, but the adhesives used never seemed to be able to hold the wings together at the folding mechanism. I would like to do them again and display them with wings folded or unfolded, not to be done daily, but maybe once in a while every month or two change their position. I'm thinking that with the new better quality liquid glues (not CA's) which insure a stronger join and bond like Tamiya extra thin or Tenax7r, this would be possible.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I had the Wildcat, but I built it gear up so the wings weren't built to fold. But the Zero I did had retractable landing gear, which I used every once in a while. To be honest, I was 12 and I didn't even know what lubricant was, but I did use Testors Cement. FWIW, the Monogram Avenger also has the moving features you're talking about.

I built most of them as a kid..usually managed to get the wing folds, landing gear and bomb doors to work (although as I recall the TBF wingfold was a bit tricky.) Of course, this was long before I started using thin liquid cement..all I had was tube glue and occasionally super glue. A word of warning: do not use Vaseline as a lubricant. It's petroleum jelly, which attacks plastic. Plus, it eventually gets conaminated with dust, and ends up just gunking up the works. When I want a prop to spin freely, I rub the shaft with and ordinary #2 pencil..graphite makes an excellent lubricant, it's also dry and inert.

SN

Edited by Steve N

LMAO you rub the shaft. No pun intended I have been drinking again and just had dirty thoughts in my head. After a night like I just had that was the best laugh I have had in a long time. Also as Steve pointed out another consideration could be Graphite spray that they use in key locks. It is also dry but expensive but I'll bet a can of that is less work than shaving a pencil lead. All things considered moving parts in, out, up, or down un-lubed PUN intended will result in unsatisfactory premature wear and tear. Sorry Steve I am just being a jackass right now. I just think its funny.

I have a Monogram/Revellogram F-4U that has the same wing fold contraption not sure how it works but I will keep an eye on this thread so I can get some lube options of what works best. lol Wow i THINK i NEED SLEEP. lol

"Steve N" mentioned #2 pencil graphite, good call. They also make a graphite "lube" for the Cub Scout pinewood derby cars (wheel axles) the works really well, you can usually find that where ever they sell the pinewood derby cars.

Back when I was a kid building those kits, I think the instruction sheets used to say to use vegetable oil, thats what I remember using.

Oh believe me, I was well aware of my unintentional double entandre..but this is supposed to be a family friendly(ish) forum. I suppose I could have mentioned "working the undercarriage." ;)

I have a tube of graphite powder, but I find the pencil easier to use, plus the graphite stays where you put it.

SN