Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109E-4

Hi all

This is my most recently completed model. I performed the following minor enhancements to the kit:

Fuselage

- kit seat replaced with Ultracast seat

- KMC resin cockpit sidewalls and floor installed

- antenna wire made from stretched sprue

- upper cowl intake opened

- cowl gun barrels drilled out

- engine starter crank opening and lift points drilled out

- kit propeller and spinner replaced with Ultracast resin parts

Wings

- wing gun barrels drilled out

- kit wheels replaced with Ultracast resin wheels

- tie down rings drilled out

- tail planes modified to eliminate the anhedral

Paint and Decals

- airframe painted with Xtracolor X202 Hellblau RLM 65, X201 RLM 02 Grau and X205 Dunklegrun RLM 71

- all markings are a combination of Aero Master 48-014 and Superscale 48-829

- model is weathered with chalk pastels

References

- Model Art No. 375 Messerschmitt Bf109B-E

- Aero Detail No. 1 Messerschmitt Bf109E

- photos found on the Luftwaffe Experten Message Board

DSCF2170_zpsp87tkfjr.jpg

DSCF2169_zpswcgbp4rq.jpg

DSCF2165_zps35mmdsez.jpg

DSCF2164_zpsxgzkhdeq.jpg

DSCF2166_zps9dc0hr6p.jpg

Cheers

Randy

Very nice indeed Randy. I would like to do my 1/32 Dragon E-4 in these very markings. Most, if not all, profiles (not that they are to be trusted necessarily) of this aircraft show the Gruppe marking aft of the fuselage cross. On what did you base your decision to not add this?

Cheers,

Tom

Very nice indeed Randy. I would like to do my 1/32 Dragon E-4 in these very markings. Most, if not all, profiles (not that they are to be trusted necessarily) of this aircraft show the Gruppe marking aft of the fuselage cross. On what did you base your decision to not add this?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom

First off, thanks much.

To answer your question, I based it on a photo found in Kagero's book JG1 OESAU 1939-43. It clearly shows the area behind the fuselage cross, and I could not see any gruppe marking.

Cheers

Randy

Hi Tom

First off, thanks much.

To answer your question, I based it on a photo found in Kagero's book JG1 OESAU 1939-43. It clearly shows the area behind the fuselage cross, and I could not see any gruppe marking.

Cheers

Randy

I just looked at that picture on page 21 of the book. While not a full side view, I do believe it shows enough of the area aft of the cross to have the Gruppe marking visible if it were there. I also see they identify W.Nr 5188 as an E-7 too.

Cheers,

Tom

I just looked at that picture on page 21 of the book. While not a full side view, I do believe it shows enough of the area aft of the cross to have the Gruppe marking visible if it were there. I also see they identify W.Nr 5188 as an E-7 too.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom

I have seen it identified as an E-3, E-4 and E-7. I went with Dave Wadman's info, wherein he stated it is an E-4.

Cheers

Randy