1/48 Hasegawa CF-104 Starfighter

Hmmm, I seem to have missed a lot of time to build something for this GB. Oh well, better late than never, right? So, let's see if I can slide in before the deadline.

I'm building the 48th scale Hasegawa F-104DJ Starfighter as a Canadian CF-104G. I'll be using a special decal sheet, printed by Leading Edge Models, for one of the GOMBs contests a few years ago.

cf104_733_01_zpstebz2f9x.jpg

cf104_733_02_zpswpc8rpqj.jpg

Here is some work I started on the cockpit tub. Nothing fancy. Grey, with black panels, which I actually masked and sprayed. For the time it takes to mask these, it is time well spent. Switches were picked out using a grey Prisma pencil.

cf104_733_03_zpssmqihegx.jpg

Quick shot of the seat before getting a quick wash.

cf104_733_04_zpshrh8rlve.jpg

Instrument panel. I used the kit instrument panel decal, however, I cut it into five different pieces, then applied each piece to the panel. Everything lined up better, this way.

cf104_733_05_zpsgdt9lpfy.jpg

More to come!

Edited by Colin K

Thanks guys! I've made more progress on the CF-104.

cf104_733_06_zpsqnbrgkef.jpg

Model is almost ready for paint!

cf104_733_07_zpsuirzn5qv.jpg

Here, I applied a couple coats of Mr Surfacer 1000, in order to fill the rivet detail on the wings. Gave them a good sanding. Still have to rescribe a coupe of small lines.

cf104_733_08_zpsdfhjndzc.jpg

cf104_733_09_zpsigtmbbr6.jpg

Luckily, I had a spare set of radar warning receivers from a Leading Edge decal sheet in the stash, so those were attached to the model, as 733 was equipped with them at the time.

cf104_733_010_zpswpnwsa2a.jpg

Final touch was a Master F-104 pitot tube. This is the second model I've used them on (the other being a CF-101). I love these things.

Anyhow, I should be ready to prime and paint the model this weekend, so stay tuned for more updates.

Good thinking on the Mr Surfacer. You saved yourself many Euros on that DACO set. Being lazy, I went that route, but your idea should work.

Looking forward to seeing this one painted and decaled. I am very fond of this scheme; I remember seeing these TAM participants flying around Baden when I was in High School. Brings back many fond memories of Germany.

ALF

Instrument panel. I used the kit instrument panel decal, however, I cut it into five different pieces, then applied each piece to the panel. Everything lined up better, this way.

cf104_733_05_zpsgdt9lpfy.jpg

I like the five piece idea CK. Previously, I've only done it in two; upper and lower. Results were ok but not as nice as the five piece cut. That is something I'll be doing on my next CF-104 build.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

So its a Boy !

just kidding

great progress

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! You slay me, Neo! Well, looks like I missed the deadline, but the building continues! I'll post more photos, soon.