Why is the C-27A Nicknamed a "Chuck"

I just noticed Italeri released the C-27A/G.222 Spartan in new boxing with C-27A "Chuck" written on the box.

Is this nickname derived from the C-27A's history with the U.S. military...notably we bought them and "chucked" them directly to the boneyard?

IT1311_zps91325c34.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

Like all NATO reporting names for communist aircraft, the name itself is meaningless. It begins with "C" to denote a cargo aircraft, and is a single syllable to denote propeller power.

Why would an Italian aircraft get a NATO reporting name for a communist manufactured aircraft?

Shane

Why would an Italian aircraft get a NATO reporting name for a communist manufactured aircraft?

Shane

Kinda scratching my head on that one as well... :unsure:

Regards,

Don.

Being a transport, maybe it was based on chuck wagon

If it wasn't a particularly smooth ride for those in the back, then chuck might well have been what they were doing.

That's the best answer I've heard for it yet.

Looking back on it, my theory is no good because this is the earlier "A" model...not the "J" that got built and sent direct to the boneyard. I recall seeing the "A" down in Panama (Howard AFB) back in the early 90s but everyone just called them "Spartans".