For the shaving connoissours out there...

Men for some time now have been complaining about the cost of owning and operating the latest Gillette high tech razor..the most recent of which introduced us to a dyson ball type thingy that is supposed to help keep the cartridge flush to the face for maximum closeness. I have one, and it works. How much closer the dyson ball thingy gets, if at all, I can't say. It feels a little closer.

Gillette has always been first rate and I have no complaints, except for the cost of replacement blades, which as we all know, are very expensive. If you were changing out once a week during your Sunday shave, as I was, the price of blades adds up quick. One thing I learned to do was dry the blade and give it a quick spray with some alcohol to displace any remaining water. This stops corrosion, which is a blade's mortal enemy. Doing this allowed me to get a month out of a blade. Problem solved. But I kept a lookout for something else to try.

Ok, so now we bring in Harry's. Harry's is a relatively new start up that offers razors and blades through the mail. I saw an ad, went to their website, liked the pitch and ordered a set, including a razor, three blades, and a can of their shaving cream/foam. The whole set up is really simple. The look of the razor handle was classic polished metal old school, although you can get a nice zinc cored, molded resin job for a little less money. I went for the metal.

I have been using it now for about a week, and I like it better than my Fusion ProGlide. I am not claiming it gets any closer than the Fusion. I am just saying that I like it better. It has a different feel, balance, and pivot point. You get used to it after 2 or 3 shaves, and I think it gets just as close as a Fusion once you learn how to use it. Blades are under $2 each, there is no postage for orders of $15 or more (that is eight blades), and I am going to assume that I can make them last a month like my Gillette.

One of the things I like to do is put my shaving cream can in hot water in the sink while I am showering. When I get out of the shower, the lather is nice and warm. The metal razor, called the "Winston," is cold when you first pick it up, as you would expect. I tried putting it in the hot water too for just a few seconds. It will absorb heat from the hot water quickly. Take it out and dry it off and it stays warm and very gripable in your hand for the rest of your shave. Nice.

Reviews online are mostly positive, although there are some negatives. Some don't like the way it feels, or the geometry of it. Others say the blades will clog as they are too close together. I did not experience that, but I use a traditional foam can, not a gel. If you use a gel, like Edge or something similar, it might happen. And while I am on that subject, the shave cream is NOT a deal, so I will not be using that past what you get with the kit.

In any case, I recommend the Harry's razor if you want to try something different than your current set up. If you get the metal one, you can get your initials engraved on it, but it costs another $15. I did not get the initials on mine, as that did not really matter to me. However, I just ordered another set, with initials, for my son, whose birthday is coming up.

Edited by DutyCat