1/48 Sepecat Jaguar E

hi,

not sure if this is the correct thread tp place my message.. but ok.

In the past I used paragon Jaguar E conversion kit and to me it occured, when my model was finished, it didn't looked like a jaguar E.

The nose was a bit up and once I lowered it the guns got out of line.

Nevertheless, its still my beautiful model ;)/>/>/>/>/>/>

Today there is the KH kit and comparing these pictures it looks like me KH duplicated the paragon.

The early 60's Heller 1/50 jaguar E looks good.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f318/jedi06/8924_4_zpsk8ibbac6.jpg

Just compare both pictures and watch the red paint near the RAF roundel (cockpit).

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f318/jedi06/1372366F_zps15titzto.jpg

The jaguar E has its own distinctive shape, hopefully a correct one gets released, back to the future!

Duncan

Edited by cag_200

I see what you mean, Duncan. It looks like the bottom edge of the side panels of the windscreen frame are too high. The clear area of the side panels should extend down farther, to about the bottom edge of the clear part is on the model. It might be possible to fool the eye a little by sanding the frame detail off of the lower edge of the canopy and leaving that area clear. I think the Raspberry Ripple paint scheme emphasizes the error, because the windscreen frame is painted white. Leaving that area unpainted might not look so bad on a camouflaged model.

Here are the photos Duncan links to. Note how the sill of the front cockpit of the real jet is almost in line with the bottom edge of the side panel of the windscreen, while KH has the sill lined up with the bottom edge of the clear part, so the white bit goes up too high.

1372366F_zps15titzto.jpg

8924_4_zpsk8ibbac6.jpg

Cheers!

Ben

I have the Paragon conversion. It has the windscreen sitting about 1mm above the line of the front cockpit canopy sill.

EDIT: Here are a couple of photos showing the windscreen side panels and the forward canopy (From: http://sepecat.info/b/ ):

waJag-03.jpg

waJag-05.jpg

I'm not really sure what's going on with this area on the kit. There may not be a problem after all, other than possibly the way the person who built the KH kit painted it? The Paragon conversion looks fine compared to these photos.

I think on my KH kit, I'm just going to leave this area alone. I'm more concerned about addressing the odd curve of the wing leading edges and the ridiculous photo etched instrument panels and consoles. I really wish they'd stop doing that! :bandhead2:/>

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Comparing the two Heller and KH I think both have very average noses but KH is to me closer.

Still the front lip of the windscreen sits to high and the downward curve of the canopy top edges is missing meaning the nose is to long from windscreen to the start of the pitot.

The whole upper nose needs more curve downward.

Still it looks better than that Heller shape..nice build of misfitting disaster if there ever was one!

Very nice.

Edited by dehowie

Hi,

The aircraft in Empire Test Pilot School colors is not a Jaguar E, its a Jaguar T2. The T2 was built for the UK, the E for France.

With regards to the ETPS paint scheme, there were several airframes painted that way, but there were subtle differences from one airframe to another. Comparing the Kitty Hawk model and pictures of the real aircraft, and using paint demarcation to judge is IMHO not the best idea.

Kit wise, the new Kitty Hawk is a mixed bag. They include both types of seat (UK and French), and both types of probes at the tip of the nose (pitot on UK airframes, refuelling probe on the french). What they failed to grasp however, is the E model retained 2 guns, while the T2/4 only had 1. The Kitty Hawk does not allow an E to be made out of the box, as there is no provision for a gunport on the right side.... A missed opportunity in my opinion.

I have a cunning plan to make an E however: First of all, I will make a T2 combining the Paragon conversion and an Airfix GR1 kit. The surplus Airfix gunports (UK style) will find there way on a Heller A kit, which will be finished as an early RAF bird without the laser in the nose. This will free up a pair of french gunports (different to the UK ones), which I will graft onto the Kitty hawk T2 kit in order to convert into a French E...! I know its a long detour, and probably not an option for many modellers, but the only way as long as there is no aftermarket.

With regards to the nose shape, the Paragon is very good I think. The Kitty Hawk is not bad, but the upper part of the nose is too bulged... A 2 minutes job with a sanding stick will do the trick however!

Best regards,

Guillaume

no? So it was Hi-tech then? Thought these were both the same?

Anyway I used the hi-tech along with the E style gunports.

Still I fitted the conversion in such way that the guns lined up but then it seemed the nose was up.

When I lowered the nose it looked as if the guns wouldn't line up with the fuselage again.

To me its a miracle how some got their T2's right.

no? So it was Hi-tech then? Thought these were both the same?

Anyway I used the hi-tech along with the E style gunports.

No, they were not the same, they were two completely different companies and two totally different conversions. The Paragon conversion was for the RAF T2. (I am the owner of Paragon Designs).

This is the Paragon RAF T2 conversion set:

136_3626.jpg

This is a Jaguar T4 (using my own RAF T2 conversion) which I built a few years ago:

136_3609.jpg

136_3655.jpg

136_3656.jpg

136_3650.jpg

136_3649.jpg

136_3651.jpg

Neil.

B)/>

No, they were not the same, they were two completely different companies and two totally different conversions. The Paragon conversion was for the RAF T2. (I am the owner of Paragon Designs).

B)/>/>/>

You know you're missed by so many, do you ?

Lothar