A-10's being sent back to Europe

Edit: I initially thought these were the same Hogs working against ISIS.

"The service's European Command said this week that 12 A-10 Thunderbolts would be deployed to Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany, as part of Operation Atlantic Resolve, which was formed after Russia's intervention in Ukraine over the past year".

Link to Story Here:

A-10's back to Europe

Edited by chuck540z3

"The service's European Command said this week that 12 A-10 Thunderbolts would be deployed to Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany, as part of Operation Atlantic Resolve, which was formed after Russia's intervention in Ukraine over the past year".

I wonder if this is truly to create more pressure on Russia or there are other reasons why the Warthogs are leaving the battle against ISIS.

Link to Story Here:

A-10's back to Europe

Where did the article state that these particular aircraft were pulled out of the fight against ISIS? Not every A-10 in the USAF is currently deployed to the mideast Chuck.

We've got more than 12 of them you know...

Where did the article state that these particular aircraft were pulled out of the fight against ISIS? Not every A-10 in the USAF is currently deployed to the mideast Chuck.

We've got more than 12 of them you know...

Aaaaah, my mistake. I just jumped to conclusions when I read "being sent back" and the discussion about the A-10's conducting 11% of the missions against ISIS. It would appear the Indiana ANG are still there.

Edited by chuck540z3

The Aviationist ran this story yesterday.

The U.S. Air Force has deployed 12 A-10 Thunderbolt attack planes and approximately 300 personnel to Spangdahlem airbase, in Germany, as part of a so-called TSP (theater security package) in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve.

The aircraft are from the 355th Fighter Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, and are expected to be ready to fulfil the TSP mission by the end of the month: TSPs are meant to augment U.S. Air Force in Europe support to Operation Atlantic Resolve, “the demonstration of U.S. European Command and United States Air Forces in Europe’s continued commitment to the collective security of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and dedication to the enduring peace and stability in the region.”

The A-10 has been designed to attack Soviet tanks during a Soviet invasion across the German plain and the Fulda Gap and has been a part of the AirLand Battle Doctrine pursued in the late 1970s/ early 1980s; therefore an eventual involvement in a (proxy or direct) war with Russia is quite unlikely.

Therefore, the Warthog return to Europe after the last permanent unit was withdrawn in 2013, is just symbolic. The A-10 is more suitable for other scenarios, like Afghanistan or Iraq.

By rotating A-10s and other assets to Europe, Washington flexes its muscles amidst growing tensions with Moscow: officially, 6-month TSPs enable joint training among NATO units, but they are just another way to increase presence in Europe and reassure regional allies.

Noteworthy, after a first period at the airbase in Germany, the first TSP and its A-10s will forward deploy to some unspecified locations in Eastern European NATO nations.

According to the Air Force, TSPs have conducted similar activities in the Pacific area since 2004.

Edited by Tony Stark

Most of what is being deployed to Operation Atlantic Resolve both equipment and personnel is symbolic. The Combatant Commander of EUCOM is AF and he wanted A-10's, he got them. Same goes for CENTCOM, they wanted the Hawg in the fight, the AF didn't want to send it, but at the end of the day the Combatant Commander has the ear of those who ultimately have the say.

does it take a long time to fly the A-10 from America to Europe?

The A-10 is so slow, its airspeed indicator is a calendar

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Enjoy the veal.

Edited by Trigger

does it take a long time to fly the A-10 from America to Europe?

Fairly, just the bit from Lajes in the Azores to Spangdahlem took them about 6 hours. This is their approximate routing from McGuire AFB (their last stop in the US after having departed Davis Monthan AFB) to Spangdahlem. http://skyvector.com/?ll=45.10558021289406,-45.93164062979069&chart=302&zoom=13&plan=A.K6.KWRI:V.K6.ACK:F.K6.DOVEY:G.41.25,-65:G.42.07,-60:G.42.07,-50:A.LP.LPLA:F.LP.DOLER:F.LP.ANAVA:G.40,-25:G.43,-20:G.45,-17:G.46,-15:F.EG.OMOKO:F.EG.GUNSO:F.EG.RATKA:V.EG.LND:V.EG.VLN:V.EG.BZN:V.EG.MAM:F.EG.NAVPI:F.ED.NOLRU:A.ED.ETAD

I love the Hog but 12! I bet the Russkies are shaking in their boots. A wing might send a message, gee lets send a tank platoon too. I know we don't talk politics so thats all I'll say. :soapbox:/>

TC

I think we upped our armor strength in Europe recently.

Now we have a full battalion of Brads and M1's.