Dragon's announced the M48A1!!!

I wouldn't get too excited. Based on their latest releases of "modern" armor (M103A1 and M103A2), they were real dogs. I'll wait and see how the plastic is before I get too excited.

They've already released two boxings of the M48A3, so there is already some idea of what the plastic might look like.

They've already released two boxings of the M48A3, so there is already some idea of what the plastic might look like.

I thought the general consensus on the Dragon M48A3 was pretty favorable. I know that they suck for not including the canvas mantlet cover that was seen on 95% of these tanks but other than that, I thought it was a decent kit.

I build more armor then I do anything else and I tend to like Cookie's reviews. I find most times he is pretty much bang on:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/usa/dml3544reviewcs_1.html

I have the kit in the review above and it looks great. The missing spot light is a big no-no and major oversight and lack of canvas cover around the mantlet is another pretty big bugaboo for a newer kit from a major manufacturer in this day and age. Not a deal breaker for me, but for some it can be I guess. As far as how it goes together I have no idea as I haven't started it yet. But Dragon kits can often times tend to be over engineered leading to tricky and sometimes frustrating building experiences. They look fantastic when completed but are not always hassle free, which can turn people off especially when you consider their price tag (which can often eclipse Tamiya's price depending where one buys one).

Regards,

Don

The potential issue is how they get an M48A1. The CAD looks like they are taking the M103A1 engine deck and sticking it on the M48A3 hull to backdate it. The issue is that the M103A1 engine deck was way off: too high in the middle, too long, too many vents, wrong angle at the rear plate, etc., etc... If this is what they do, it will be all hosed up. We shall see what happens with it.

I thought the general consensus on the Dragon M48A3 was pretty favorable. I know that they suck for not including the canvas mantlet cover that was seen on 95% of these tanks but other than that, I thought it was a decent kit.

Their second release, the straight M48A3 (the first was the Mod B )included the mantlet cover and the searchlight.

Edited by Dave Williams

Their second release, the straight M48A3 (the first was the Mod B )included the mantlet cover and the searchlight.

That's good to know. The only CADD drawing I've seen of the A1 appears to show a bare mantlet but maybe I'm missing it or it would be added before release.

• 4 weeks later...