51 Sqdn RAF Goose?

Anyone have a large image showing the details of the 51 Squadron goose as applied to the tails of their Nimrod R.1s and the new RC-135Ws?

All I can find online are tiny little pile of bricks JPG images.

Tks!

J

I do have some photos from when I served on 51 Sqn back in the mid eighties. The reason the photos were taken is because we actually had all 3 aircraft serviceable and on line for once, so a flypast at RAF Wyton was allowed. Normally we were not allowed to take any pictures of the aircraft under any circumstances due to security and secrecy, but for this flypast we were but only of aircraft in the air. Somehow I managed to get a few whilst they were on the ground and will try and post in the next few days to see if they are of ant use to you.

Here are some of the pictures that I took of the 51 Sqn Nimrods at RAF Wyton around 1986/7. The badge on the fin was placed on a circular panel which was removed when the aircraft went for majpor servicing at RAF Kinloss and a plain hemp one put in its place. When the aircraft returned from this servicing the painted panel was then given to our Sqn artist (Steven Booth, who was then given the task of restoring it to its proper glory. He had a lrge metal panel in the shape of a goose which he then used as a template to get the correct position before he started. In the black and white photo taken at the Sqns Falklands parade you see that XW665 still has not had the badge repainted as the Goose is on a white background as the aircraft was still in the old colours before she went to Kinloss. To tel the difference between the 3 aircraft XW664 has the re-fuelling probe, XW665 has the low vis markings ahilst XW666 has the high vis ones. I also incude a picture showing all 3 aircraft in flight. Hope that these are of some help.

Nimrod%20R10016_zpsxm86uhwy.jpg

Nimrod%20R10037_zpszmt5k7k1.jpg

Nimrod%20R10027_zpsvnjjfoqd.jpg

Nimrod%20R10022_zps5xvn1fjn.jpg

Nimrod%20R10021_zpsxlygeemd.jpg

Nimrod%20R10020_zpsipo8e2jc.jpg

Nimrod%20R10019_zpstvv0axwo.jpg

Nimrod%20R10018_zpsrplydzvj.jpg

Nimrod%20R10010_zpsyrpgl9kv.jpg

Hopefully this has worked as at the moment I am losing the will to live.

Nimrod%20R10021_zpsxlygeemd.jpg

Well only one it has. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I do the same thing every time to try and get a picture to come up But some do not want to. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Edited by Jabba29

Great pics of the R.1s! Thanks for posting. It's so rare to find pics of them...

I suspect Photobucket may be the source of your problem. It's more trouble than it's worth. I use www.postimg.org exclusively.

Edited by Jennings

Yet again another go.

Nimrod%20R10020_zpsipo8e2jc.jpg

Nimrod%20R10018_zpsrplydzvj.jpg

That is the lot now. Yes it is very rare to get pictures of 51 Sqn Nimrods, because at the that I was on the Sqn even the outside of the aircraft was classed as secret. We did have an offical photo of XW664 taken and even that was from a very obscure angle. Also note that in the black/ white photo showing XW665 it has the original hook type aerials on the tailplanes rather than the later bigger finlets.

Edited by Jabba29

I always find it humorous that militaries think they can classify something that anyone with eyeballs can see. :)/>

Especially something the size of a Nimrod (or EC-135). :)

Cheers,

Andre

I remember seeing one of these Jets in Cyprus in 98, got shown around the outside but the Pilot who ditched one in the Moray Firth and got picked up by a rescue SeaKing with a film crew on board. Couldn't take photos but managed to snap one in the background of a Blackhawk there too!

I always find it humorous that militaries think they can classify something that anyone with eyeballs can see. :)/>

The Sqn hierarchy got very upperty when a picture was published in Flight Magazine after one of the aircraft was intercepted over Sweden by Viggens.