VF-213 F-4G Shelf queen of the ages.

This is a shelf queen to end all shelf queens. It has been on my shelf for over 20 years. Seriously 20 years maybe 25 or more!!!

Its my first 1/48 Hasegawa Phantom. It was painted as a F-4B from VF-84 using really ill looking Superscale decals. Well. Its been at the back of my VF-84 shef for years now. Needing an update. Recently (like yesterday) I finished a new Academy F-4B using Vegabond decals. So this old plane was going to be striped for parts and tossed. Then I got to thinking........No.......its my FIRST PHANTOM!!!!!!

So I bought a can of oven cleaner and sprayed it down. Its drying right now. Here is the before pic. (The one in the back)

DSC_0857.jpg

Wow, there's a Phantom I beat you to? That cold spell must be reaching down below, too... ;)

I look forward to seeing this done, for whatever reason I've grown fond of the Navy G.

Took the paint and the breakables off. Seems I broke the tail many years back and repaired it with SCOTCH TAPE ! That makes me think this model might be substantially older then 25 years.

DSC_0707.jpg

The original tails are also REALY nasty. So I will use a spare from the last Academy build. Not quite right but it will look the part much better.

Had to fix the pitots. New ones in place using paper clips.

DSC_0708_1.jpg