C-47 Canucks Unlimited

I've had Monogram's 1/48 C-47 in my stash for quite some time and want to eventually build this kit up as one of the Burma cargo haulers flown by Canadian crews in WWII.

After reading an article on the subject (See Here) I am reminded that this project is still outstanding. Did anyone ever produce decals of the "Canucks Unlimited" C-47s..? I know it seems a longshot however I am holding out here until I can my hands on some...or make them myself if I have too.

The CWHM version looks like so:

Roundels63.jpg

The Aircraft "O" for Oscar (that I want to depict) looks similar except apparently no squadron crest and the letter "O" on the nose only... Was the lettering "Canucks Unlimited" on both sides of the A/C..? I think the CWHM does not depict the lettering on both sides however I have seen one "P" for Papa that did have "Canucks Unlimited" on both sides.

Any input to move this project from the 'stash' to the 'build section' would be appreciated. I plan on building a few Canadian WWII aircraft this year and hope to add this one in.

Thanks,

David

David

IPMS Canada produced decals for that C-47 many moons ago (more than 10 years ago) in both 1/72nd and 1/48th. I think every member at the time got the decal free with your subscription. Probably best to put a post in the for sale section? I also remember photographing that aircraft but for the life of me I cannot remember where. Getting old I guess.

David

IPMS Canada produced decals for that C-47 many moons ago (more than 10 years ago) in both 1/72nd and 1/48th. I think every member at the time got the decal free with your subscription. Probably best to put a post in the for sale section? I also remember photographing that aircraft but for the life of me I cannot remember where. Getting old I guess.

Chris,

Probably in Edmonton. Before the CAF retired the Dak we had the 50th Anniversary of Burma Reunion at the Base. A specially painted Dak in the Canuck Unlimited colors was flown in for the event. If you photographed that event I was the person marshalling the aircraft into the hanger. Only time that I know of that a CAF aircraft was taxied nose first into a hanger.

Dave, I have two sets. At least I think I do. I'll part wih one. Let me check though.

David,

RT Volume 21 Number 1 included decals in 1/72 and 1/48 for Z2-M KG425, a Dakota Mk.III of 437 Sqd in Olive Drab over Neutral Grey. You'll also want to get a copy/scan of the accompanying instructions to model all the idiosyncrasies of this Dak.

Cheers,

Tom

That's the Canadian Warplane Heritage museum's Dakota. It's actually a civilian DC-3 airliner, that never saw military service (much more rare than a C-47.) As much as I like the Canucks Unlimited scheme, I really wish they give her a paint job more fitting to her history.

SN

That's the Canadian Warplane Heritage museum's Dakota. It's actually a civilian DC-3 airliner, that never saw military service (much more rare than a C-47.) As much as I like the Canucks Unlimited scheme, I really wish they give her a paint job more fitting to her history.

SN

The two we painted for he Burma reunion were accurate except for the gloss coat.

I haven't looked for the decals but I am certain I have an extra set. A 1/72 builder traded me for the 1/72 decals in return for his 1/48 decals.

Just got home from hockey and I am too darn tired to look tonight.

The Decals provided in RT (as detailed by Tom above) were for a Europe based machine not the Burma (SEAsia) markings (Roundel wise) the OP is looking for. The scheme he is after was done in the old Arrow Graphics series in 1/72 for sure and maybe 1/48 but not sure of that as I only paid attention to 1/72. As well, the Arrow Graphics were for the commemorative schemes that Scooby talks of, done on serving (at the time) CAF machines and not necessarily true to the original WWII machine the scheme was based on but I think they got it pretty close. I would make sure I worked off a wartime photo of the actual machine you want to build (not one of the reunion recreations). With that in mind the Canmilair sheet in 1/48 would give you the "Canucks Unlimited" titles and SE Asia roundels but you might have to get serials and codes off generic sheets. I had the RT Decals (still do in 1/72) but gave the 1/48 to someone (I believe it might have been Tom) so I can't even help with those which would have given you a 1/48 Canadian WWII C-47 scheme to use, just not the Burma one. HTH and good luck...

Cheers

Bruce

(Sitting in a hotel having just survived Mardi Gras in N.O.)

Edited by RCAFFAN

Thanks for the information. This kit has been sitting in the stash for a while as I haven't managed to assemble much information on the Burma theater of operations from the Canadian perspective. I only have a few reference shots of the Dakota out in Trenton, aside from the one in Hamilton (which is a dual marking version if I am not mistaken).

Next I have to decide which Dakota to model... although the "O" bird seems to have some interesting history. The sheet from JBOT looks like my best starting point... unless one of you kind hearted gentleman supplies me with another great Canadian C-47 subject from the spares section that I can trade or pay for. :)/>

Then I'll have to figure out the appropriate paint for the bird...hopefully not too many modifications from the Monogram kit to make one of these RCAF flown versions.

With a bit of luck this one may make the 2015 build list after all.

Cheers,

David

Thanks for the information. This kit has been sitting in the stash for a while as I haven't managed to assemble much information on the Burma theater of operations from the Canadian perspective. I only have a few reference shots of the Dakota out in Trenton, aside from the one in Hamilton (which is a dual marking version if I am not mistaken).

Next I have to decide which Dakota to model... although the "O" bird seems to have some interesting history. The sheet from JBOT looks like my best starting point... unless one of you kind hearted gentleman supplies me with another great Canadian C-47 subject from the spares section that I can trade or pay for. :)/>/>

Then I'll have to figure out the appropriate paint for the bird...hopefully not too many modifications from the Monogram kit to make one of these RCAF flown versions.

With a bit of luck this one may make the 2015 build list after all.

Cheers,

David

You can have a set for the cost of shipping.

Bruce is correct though, the decals are for a wartime RCAF Dak. My mistake. I still haven't dug them out though.

I don't know if you confused Canmilair with Jbot or Jbot has a listing too but just a warning that people have been complaining about getting orders from Jbot recently so just be careful (I know a guy in Calgary has been waiting for more than 6 months for his order after being told several times they were coming. I would take Scooby up on his offer as the RT scheme is really nice, just Europe rather than Burma...

Cheers

Bruce

Scooby,

If you have that set of 1/48 decals for the Dakota available, they sound like they would make a great subject as well. I am looking to depict a C-47 / Dakota flown by RCAF crew during WWII so this should do fine. All I need now is to track down the instructions on the build from the publication of RT Volume 21 Number 1...

If you can locate them PM me and I'll send you my address (in Ontario Canada) so we can work out something... postage + beer money... no rush... I still have to finish the Wellington, the Lanc and the Beaufighter I am working on.

:cheers:/>

Cheers,

David

• 6 years later...

My Dad was stationed in Burma (RAF) with Canucks Unlimited, a couple of pics from his collection....I am planning a build of 1/48 Trumpeter would really like a decal set, but will paint my own if I have too. These pictures are very small and I looked at them for years not knowing what was in them then along came photo scan on my phone. These were made with "borrowed" film paper and a pinhole box camera my Dad made. He was Airframe Tech and did the recon cameras. They were in Burma with Canucks Unlimited awaiting orders to invade China (as my Dad told me) They had gliders from RAF. They were forgotten about and with dwindling supplies they went to a nearby American base and they were packing up, the war was over. My Dad did not get back to England till January 46. I have some more pics I will post 1 day of them boating in a wing tank boat they made....1st pic of lots of c 47's on tarmac, unknown location..2nd Canucks Unlimited, my Dad far right standing, last pic is Spitfire ? maybe N Africa....

1636913229101-7194bdcf-1c7c-4de0-9cd0-3d5508e39e02 (2).jpg

canucks unl.jpg

spit.jpg

• 2 months later...