Time for more group builds.

Airfix is crap??

Well let's see... Airfix. I've built the Phantom - rubbish. The CH-46 - rubbish. The MiG-29 - not too top-notch. Working on a Bristol Belvedere whiff - and even for hacking it up it's a crappy kit to work with. So yeah, just about every Airfix kit I've built has been pretty crappy.

Well let's see... Airfix. I've built the Phantom - rubbish. The CH-46 - rubbish. The MiG-29 - not too top-notch. Working on a Bristol Belvedere whiff - and even for hacking it up it's a crappy kit to work with. So yeah, just about every Airfix kit I've built has been pretty crappy.

Huh, I've had decent experiences. Actually right now I'm building the 1/48th -109, and other than some usual issues, it's not a bad little kit.

Huh, I've had decent experiences. Actually right now I'm building the 1/48th -109, and other than some usual issues, it's not a bad little kit.

Whilst not wishing to derail the thread, I've had mixed experiences with recent Airfix kits. The Vampire was an absolute gem of a kit, a real pleasure to build, whilst the 1/72 Gnat was total garbage - nothing fit, and there was more flash and mis-molding on the sprues than I've seen on any kit (including low volume producers) in a very long time. I ended up chucking it in the bin.

Vince

Just had a brainstorm for a nice GB topic:

"It's showtime!"

- means: every aircraft from an airshow team, military teams like Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, snowbirds, horny birds, frecce tricolori, Patr. de France, Blue Impulse, diavoli rossi, Vikings, Red Arrows, Black knights, ...also civilian aircrafts but for aerobatics or air race (like red bull air race).

Fixed wing or Helo (I remember one Bo 105 from a german pilot competing in helo aerobatics), actual planes as well as long gone planes from disbanded teams.

So time for your colorful paint jars, exotic decals ...show you F-100, 104, 4, Hornet, Skyhawk, Alpha jet, Sabre, Mits. T-2, Kawa T-4, G-91, Fouga Magister, T-6, Zlin Z-50, F-16, Mig-29, BAE Hawk, Bo 105, Pitts special, Bearcat ...

What do you think?? Smoke on!!!

Start for that GB late in the year or beginning of next year, just want to see your reaction if there's somebody out there liking that colorful idea, too.

I'm sure it's too late to get it going this year (at least if you're doing it for an Easter end date) but I liked the Egg Hunt Build that our club did several years ago. Either build any commercially available egg kit or use egg shapes to scratch-build or convert whatever you want. As long as you could tell it contains the egg shapes. There were some very creative entries and it was a lot of fun.

So either we could save it for next Easter season ORRR just do it whenever and still have fun with it. Just a thought.

Bill

Egg build is a wonderful idea too. But those things can be built in a day. Or a weekend if you take your time. Maybe just an un-official GB might work for that. Kind of what Steve does for silly week.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the necrobump, but bringing this back in case anyone has more ideas or suggestions for some GBs from the second quarter of next year. Right now there only seems to be the Spitfire GB from March and nothing else.

Some ideas perhaps.

In 2016

..desert storm 25 years ago!

F-14 was retired 10 years ago, (us navy)

F-15 40 years IOC ago

The "war on terror" started 15 years ago

Edited by 31Tiger

Just saw mention that 2016 will see Boeing's 100 year anniversary as well. It'll also be 60 years since the first flight of the Mirage III, 50 years since the first flight of the Mirage F1 and 30 years since the first flight of the Rafale so maybe some sort of Dassault GB could be of interest?