Test birds group build

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ready to join the test and eval squadron?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great news!

I'd be in with a X-15.

Tricky question: would the F-15A Streak Eagle qualify? It was a airframe specificially modified for time to climb demonstration flights.

Cheers, Andy

Streak Eagle was a bare airframe w/ no paint on it for weight savings. Also had a large red, white & blue "Streak Eagle" below the canopy on each side of the fuselage.

Edited by Adam Baker

Additionally all armament and much of the electronics were removed to achieve maximum thrust to weight ratio:

060905-F-1234S-013.jpg

Photo: nationalmuseum.af.mil

The plane was flown by the pilots assigned to the F-15 Joint Test Force at Edwards AFB but the actual record test flight were done in the cold air above Grand Forks AFB in North Dakota.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to keep this build in people's minds. It looks like its garnering some good interest with 44 votes and I can't wait to see everyone's builds. I've dug out my F-16 to start planning my build, and I can't wait! All Ineed to do is track down a pparachute housing.

Cool idea, was there ever a group build for the planes that never made

it? The fly offs that lost. The A-9, YF-17, F-107? But then again where

are you going to find a kit for a "loser"?---John

Cool idea, was there ever a group build for the planes that never made

it? The fly offs that lost. The A-9, YF-17, F-107? But then again where

are you going to find a kit for a "loser"?---John

Actually there are more kits out there than you might think. Just a quick look and I've got several in the stash, a Bell XHSL-1 anti-sub helicopter, Vought F6U-1 Pirate, discontinued shortly after adoption, Curtis XP-40Q, the bubble topped P-40 intended to compete with the P-51, North American F-107 "Super Super Sabre", Boeing X-32 which lost to the F-35, and General Dynamics / Grumman F-111B the not adopted version of the F-111 intended for the USN.

If prototypes meet the requirements I might even break one out for the group build. I'm pretty sure the Bell is a contender even if prototypes are not acceptable since it was used to test sub hunting techniques and equipment.

Edited by Aaronw