Converting the Airfix Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 to earlier P-40-CU

Thought I'd check in before I proceed any further with the above titled conversion. The Airfix kit comes with twin mounted machine guns in each wing. The earlier version had only one gun per wing. Which gun should I eliminate, the outer or inner one? Also, would the bullet proof glass panel behind the windscreen have been mounted in this earlier version?

The subject aircraft I plan on building is one of two aircraft that can be found on page 15 of the Squadron/Signal 'Walk Around Number 8' from the 33rd PS, 8th PG. The photo captions indicate these aircraft, #21 or #22 are P-40B's but the colour photo of #21 on page 41 of Bert Kinzey's 'Detail in Scale P-40 Warhawk, Vol.61' indicate this is a P-40-CU.

I am led to believe that the earlier version had the long, nosed mounted blast tubes which were eliminated by the time P-40B's and C's were on the production line.

Opinions and verification on the above would be appreciated.

Edited by Brian J.

In my initial posting I should have mentioned that I too have a copy of Dana Bell's 'P-40 Warhawk' book. I agree that it is an important addition to the early P-40 story. I was hoping that other members who have this book would comment on their interpretation of the photos and text. I have taken a second and third look and have come to the following conclusions.

The colour photo on page 37 shows a detailed close up of a P-40-CU from the 8th PG numbered 3 on the port wing leading edge. While there is no wing gun there appears to be an outline where the gun hatch would be located outboard of the yellow '3' digit. My conclusion is there is not enough space between this hatch and the landing gear to install another gun, which suggests to me the outboard gun barrel should be eliminated on the Airfix kit.

Upon re-reading pages 30 and 31 concerning the installation of the bullet proof glass panel, I conclude that this panel, "...was attached to the tie rods of all P-40Bs and Cs...," but was not installed on the earlier P-40-CUs.

I hope other members will correct me if I am wrong in my interpretations.

Edited by Brian J.
concerning the installation of the bullet proof glass panel, I conclude that this panel, "...was attached to the tie rods of all P-40Bs and Cs...," but was not installed on the earlier P-40-CUs.
Also, would the bullet proof glass panel behind the windscreen have

It is correct, P-40 B, C & G had armor plate and bullet resistant glass, but since june 41, "all P-40 will be fitted with armor plate at station 1 & 5 + bullet resistant glass".

jul 41: about blast tube

cut off the forward end of the tube at 25° angle bevel.....

when installing the blast tube, the rearmost end of the 25° bevel to be located directly on top, the top of the blast tube must be rotated outboard but kept as nearly vertical as possible.

Under no conditions shall the top of the blast tube be installed inboard of the vertical position.

The earlier version had only one gun per wing. Which gun should I eliminate, the outer or inner one?

For an earlier p40, with one wing gun, remove the outer gun. (The inner gun was at 74.1 inches from centerline).

The access door was at the bottom, and on the top there was the ammunition access door.

If you need a drawing, i'll send it.

edit: I forget, there is no gussets on the fuselage door before 1943

Edited by Sowar

Many thanks, Sowar, for the constructive comments. According to the photo captions that I am using for my reference, the subject P-40-CUs that I am considering were photographed in the second half of 1940 which suggests they lacked the bullet resistant glass. The photos seem to indicate the same.

I would be grateful if you are able to send that drawing of the ammunition access door. When I started this project I thought it would be a snap and it would be off the modeling bench in a week or so...and then I realized how much I don't know!