GB Proposal: WWII Minor Air Forces

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join a 'WWII Minor Players' Group Build?

• Yes!
    • Yes, but only if it included Canada/Australia/France!

Here's a proposal for another GB - WWII Minor Air Forces. I'd suggest any aircraft, in any scale, as long as it's from any Air Force considered to be a 'Minor' player in WWII. My original idea is basically any aircraft as long as it's not from any Air Arm of the US, Britain, Germany, Italy, Japan or the Soviet Union - I'd like to see what people think with regards to Canada, Australia and France.

Some of the Air Forces that could be included (this is not a comprehensive list!);

- China

- Belgium

- Brazil

- Bulgaria

- Denmark

- Netherlands (inc. Dutch East Indies)

- Egypt

- Finland

- Greece

- Indonesia

- Hungary

- Manchukuo

- New Zealand

- Norway

- Philippines

- Poland

- Thailand

- Romania

- Slovakia

- South Africa

- Sweden

- Yugoslavia

That gives plenty of choices, and a chance to make something you perhaps normally wouldn't. Also, don't get angry with me if I've suggested your country was a minor player! :woot.gif:/>

Vince

Edited by vince14

Here's a proposal for another GB - WWII Minor Air Forces. I'd suggest any aircraft, in any scale, as long as it's from any Air Force considered to be a 'Minor' player in WWII. My original idea is basically any aircraft as long as it's not from any Air Arm of the US, Britain, Germany, Italy, Japan or the Soviet Union - I'd like to see what people think with regards to Canada, Australia and France.

Vince

Great idea! Regarding Canada and Australia, both were major players in the training of aircrew and production of combat and training aircraft. Canada alone trained almost 150,000 pilots and aircrew from 1940-44 and produced over 400 Lancasters and 1000+ Mosquitos, not to mention countless training aircraft such as the Avro Anson. Though not as prolific as the US or UK, they did play a major role I believe. After all, Roosevelt did refer to us as "The aerodrome of democracy".

BD

Does the scope also include foreign pilots flying on behalf for the major powers (e.g. Polish pilots in the RAF or the Normandie-Niemen group)?

I don't think so (although that would make a good GB in it's own right). I'm thinking of having unusual aircraft, or types that you see quite frequently but in markings that are not the norm. For example, if we get the go-ahead I'll be building the Hasegawa 1/32 Ki-43 in Manchunkuo markings.

234_2.jpg

Vince

Great idea.

I like the idea of a less often seen groupbuild (which should probably also include the USSR despite the fact it was definitely a major player), but with the focus on the smaller air forces I would think that would put Australia, Canada and France out.

As far as France, in 1940 it was a major airforce, but after the defeat of France I would think including the considerably smaller Free French and Vichy French air forces would be appropriate.

I would also think it would make sense to include some of the neutral powers, like Spain, Turkey, Portugal and Switzerland. They were not technically involved in the war but they played a part enforcing their neutrality (denial of the use of their air space) and played both sides for their benefit frequently being gifted aircraft to keep them neutral / trying to get them to take sides. They certainly are lesser seen modeling subjects.

Edited by Aaronw

I don't know that I would consider New Zealand a minor Air Force during WWII.

We were and still are a small country but consider this.

Europe, we had 485/486/487/488 Squadrons, also 75 Squadron, flying missions (488 squadron served firstly in the Pacific war in the defense of Malaya/Singapore, before reforming in Europe).

490 Squadron flew from West Africa (Catalina's/Sunderlands).

In the Pacific the RNZAF was attached to the USN, fighting a long side, I don't know if one could consider fielding more than 400 F4U/FG-1 Corsairs minor, not to mention previous to that, close to 300 P 40's flying in the Pacific theatre (plus SBD's TBF's Hudsons/Ventura's squadrons etc).

Like Australia and Canada, New Zealand also had men serving in numerous RAF/FAA squadrons over and above the above mentioned 400 series Article XV squadrons, so our contribution was not minor in any way.

If you are going to exclude Australia and Canada, I think New Zealand would slot in there too

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

I don't know that I would consider New Zealand a minor Air Force during WWII.

We were and still are a small country but consider this.

Europe, we had 485/486/487/488 Squadrons, also 75 Squadron, flying missions (488 squadron served firstly in the Pacific war in the defense of Malaya/Singapore, before reforming in Europe).

490 Squadron flew from West Africa (Catalina's/Sunderlands).

In the Pacific the RNZAF was attached to the USN, fighting a long side, I don't know if one could consider fielding more than 400 F4U/FG-1 Corsairs minor, not to mention previous to that, close to 300 P 40's flying in the Pacific theatre (plus SBD's TBF's Hudsons/Ventura's squadrons etc).

Like Australia and Canada, New Zealand also had men serving in numerous RAF/FAA squadrons over and above the above mentioned 400 series Article XV squadrons, so our contribution was not minor in any way.

If you are going to exclude Australia and Canada, I think New Zealand would slot in there too

Regards

Alan

I'm going to include New Zealand, because although they made a great contribution, their numbers (in overall terms) is still quite small when compared to the RAF and RAAF. And in any case, this is not so much about numbers but more about seeing completed models in colours we don't normally see on ARC.

For clarification, I'll accept any aircraft from any air arm from 1939-1945 except from the following countries;

- Australia

- Canada

- Germany

- Italy

- Japan

- Soviet Union

- United States

- United Kingdom

• 1 month later...

Well, here's one of the 8 needed votes. I was hoping to do either a Canadian or Australian aircraft, but there is certainly a plethora of Allied minor countries to choose from. For me, the issue is when the GB will start. I much prefer to be active at the start rather then towards the end.

Joel

• 3 months later...