Just starting in on the Fine Molds 1/48 X-Wing. Looking forward to it. Been saving this one up for years (I think I even pre-ordered it when it came out way back when).

IMG_20150222_204842_916.jpg

I've only done one other Fine Molds kit which is the Savoia S.21 from Porco Rosso. Hands down one of the most amazingly well-engineered kits I have ever done.

IMG_9074.jpg

I never even bothered to glue the main sections together since the tolerances were so fine and the kit so well done that it stayed to together w/o any cement. Amazing. If the X-Wing is even close to the same quality I'll have a very enjoyable build.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting in on the X-Wing. As much as the SW movies were a part of my youth and I built TIE fighters and Xwings out of whatever was at hand, I just can't bear to leave to kit in the true movie paint scheme. The all over gray of the X-Wing especially bugs me. I won't be doing one as wild as the one I made for my son a few years back....

IMG_8920.jpg

... but with that in mind I'll be strategically embellishing the paint scheme adding some panel shading and some bare metal where it makes sense.

Preshading, future, plus Alclad:

IMG_20150304_205023_151.jpg

IMG_20150307_153704_077.jpg

IMG_20150307_170544_943.jpg

Edited by nickdanger

I'd love to cut loose, but I do want to stay kind of close to movie canon. Nevertheless, exhaust can should be metallic !

Speaking of metallic, here's my NMF / BMF X-Wing with tons of non-canon decals:

IMG_20150309_074850_290.jpg

IMG_20150309_104652_390.jpg

Must taken 2 bottles of Alclad for that one.

Edited by nickdanger

@nicholassagan - Thanks !

Wings are painted and futured. Also set off one set of panels in a slightly different color:

IMG_20150316_214259_679.jpg

Happy so far. The gray is a little cooler (with respect to color) than the movie vehicle. Hope this doesn't push it into the realm of 'what-if'....

• 2 weeks later...

Glad that the wing decals are meant to be weathered. Finemolds' decals don't conform well over compley shapes, even slightly raised panels. Nevertheless still looks ok.

IMG_20150406_220235_744.jpg

Closeup shows how the decal breaks rather than conformm to the raised panel. Again, not a problem since t adds to the effect.

IMG_20150406_220244_409.jpg

Maybe I was pusihing too hard by Microsol rather than Microset.

IMG_20150406_220402_017.jpg

FM decals stink. I've got a never finished Starfighter as a result. Eventually I'll paint it but the amount of masking that will be involved means it's going to sit for quite a time.

Looks good though!