CD72039 - B-66 Destroyer

As if you needed further evidence that I may be losing my mind; I am working on a 1/72 sheet for the B-66 Destroyer. It is not very close to being finished and will not appear before summer, but I am confident enough that I will go ahead and assign a product number to it.

We already have a fairly good (recessed panel lines, matches the old Aviation News plans fairly well) kit in the Testors/Italeri offering; and judging by Ebay sales it can still be found easily. I am sure thousands of them are waiting in the stashes; and the most recent decal sheets for the type were released more than 20 years ago. And I want to have artwork & research ready for the inevitable (I think) 1/48 B-66 kit when it arrives.

Edited by KursadA

Interesting news Kursad. As you mentioned, the only one i know about is the old Italeri kit. When Trumpeter started their A-3 series, I thought we may eventually see a B-66 in 1/48 since they like to do version series of kits for the most part.

I am not sure if I am remembering correctly but from what I have read, there is a great deal of difference between the A-3 and the B-66 which I hope does not put a wrench in us 1/48 guys seeing one.

Thanks again for picking their off the beaten path subjects. My wallet hates you :)

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Is this project still being done? I have a Destroyer ready to go into major assembly and could press forward if quality decals are forthcoming. Will this be natural metal, or camouflage? Which version or versions will be included?

It is waiting in line to be printed and will be released later this year - there are both natural metal and camouflage options on the sheet.

Very glad to hear this. Thank you!

In the meantime I'll build an Bahraini F-16 using your 1/72 sheet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hope it is OK to revive an old thread but I just wondered what happened to this 1/72nd Douglas B-66 Destroyer sheet? Reading the posts above it seems as though the decals were ready to be sent to the printers but I guess they were sidelined by other projects.

Just a few observations regards the re-release Italeri kit which I purchased and arrived today, it is marketed as an RB-66B and it has the ECM tailcone. I have made both the original B-66B (with rear radar / cannon) and the EB-66E versions in the past and it is a basic but nice kit to put together. I also have one each of these kits in the stash as well as the one that arrived today so I can make some comparisons. The decals on the original releases would just be unacceptable today however I was impressed with the new "Super Decals Sheet for 4 Versions" contained in the box. Compared to the original releases they are pretty good, compared to the Caracal standard they seem a bit clunky but usable. According to the instruction sheet they make the following:

RB-66B 53-0415 of the 4417th CCTS - 363rd TRW Langley-Eustis AFB, Virginia. 1969

RB-66B 54-0543 of the 1st TRS / 10th TRW SpangdahlemAB, Germany. 1964

RB-66B 54-0520 of the 19th TRS / 10th TRW, RAF Alconbury, UK. 1964

(RB-66B?) "0-44542" (54-0542?) of the 363rd TRW, Yokota AB, Japan. 1968 (Vietnam War)

The first three above appear to be accurate according to the USAF serials database run by Joe Baugher. For the fourth I took "0-44542" on the decal sheet to be RB-66B 54-0542 which was converted to EB-66E standard by Douglas in 1967 and onwards to the 363rd TRW. I then checked the data decal on the sheet and was surprised to see "EB-66B 54-0510". 54-0510 was an RB-66B converted to EB-66E in 1968 and then on to the 363rd TRW. This was an option on the original Italeri EB-66E kit.

I don't know what was on the Caracal 1/72nd Douglas B-66 Destroyer sheet however it looks like the old and new Italeri kits invite decals for the B-66B, RB-66B, and the EB-66E versions; possibly an EB-66B however I am not sure if that is buildable from this kit. Or even what an EB-66B looks like! I think there is a market for this sheet so just wondering whether you will look at the B-66 again?

Michael 

Edited by Ghostbase
Serial mix-up

I never stopped looking at this project - as with many of the older types, there was some difficulty digging up the details of stencilling and some artwork I wanted to include; but I recently found some new photos and will move this to the top of the lines as soon as I deliver some long-suffering projects like the B-47, C-119, C-46 and P-3; all of which are coming in the next few months.

Thanks,

Kursad

29 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I never stopped looking at this project - as with many of the older types, there was some difficulty digging up the details of stencilling and some artwork I wanted to include; but I recently found some new photos and will move this to the top of the lines as soon as I deliver some long-suffering projects like the B-47, C-119, C-46 and P-3; all of which are coming in the next few months.

Thanks,

Kursad

Thank you!  That is music to my ears!

5 hours ago, KursadA said:

Thanks Kursad, in fact I just got the B-57B decals from Hannants. So hopefully not too long and you will be offering / have offered the B-45, B-47, B-52, B-57, B-58 and B-66 bombers. The C-119 is eagerly awaited as well 👍. I love all these old school jets and prop transports from back in the 50's and 60's before camouflage was applied.

Michael