Vietnam War Group Build

99 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam Group Build

• Yes
    • No

Hey glorystomper, why choose the 44th TFS, with a pair of dice no less? I was in that squadron for a short time back in the 80s.

oh cool! i was digging up reference pics on F-15s and ran across some info about the 44th, so i read up on them and liked what i saw.. (it also sorta reminded me of the helmet that Viper wore in Top Gun)

was having problems getting the avatar to work and the pic with the dice was the only one that would load tongue.gif

according to this link, the 44th flew F-105's as a unit of the 388th TFW in daily combat missions vs communist targets in North Vietnam.. so i'm thinking of doing one of those for the GB!

what did you do in the 44th and what was it like? smile.gif

Edited by glorystomper

I went into the 44th after I left the Security Police. My main job was to keep the flying board updated and input all the pilot's accomplishments for each mission. They had to do a certain amount of things each month in order to stay qualified. If they didn't make the required number of things for the month as well as a certain amount of hours in the air and certain ground training objective, including simulators, they would not get their full pay and would put their status in danger.

I used to walk around sometimes and watch them go over cockpit procedures, enemy and weapons knowledge briefings. You wouldn't believe how much they had to know about their aircraft and weapons as well as the ones they were most likely to come up against. When not flying these guys were always studying, working in the consolidated weight room they shared with the two other F-15 squadrons in the building. When not doing that, they had other duties they had to work on, like wing scheduling, safety, security, supply, and more.

Sometimes they would let their sense of humor go and do some things that I/m not putting on here.

One time we were hosting VF-84 so the pilot who would handle them went into his collection of gun film and had a frame blown in and put it under the plexiglass cover on his desk. When the 84 guys went into his office they saw a great picture of a F-14 at night. The shot was taken from above and behind where you could see the A.B. going, the wings starting to go back, the moon shining off the top of the fuselage..all surrounded by his H.U.D. readings with a orange spot labeled fire.

A couple of out guys had to team up with a Marine A-4 and play the part of a cruise missile. On command from the A-4 they would drop out of formation and head for the Midway where another pilot would be watching the effective of the simulated attack. The next morning they showed up in the squadron and put on a headband with a rising sun and the words "Die midway!" on it. They walked around with their ceremonial sake cup waiting to go to the step van that would take them to their aircraft. The theory was that it was a suicide mission if they were a real missile and since they were in Japan they should go through the rituals and wear the band. I never did find out what the Japanese drivers thought about this one. More than one civilian working on the base was at one time in the Japanese Army during the war, wether they wanted to be or not.

On top of that we had some accidents, a couple bad ones and a couple that made you wonder how nobody got shot down or hurt, TU-95 interceptions, a flyover of the carrier Minsk, trips to Korea, Guam, and the P.I. practices for shuttle recovery and other things. We had one pilot who was a music major and he would write all the songs they needed for deployments, and another who was an art major would design the patches needed for those trips. Not everybody had a science degree.

I'm in with Dragon's 1/35 M48A3 Mod. B.

I think the search light and canvas mantlet cover needs to be on there, so..Legends set it is.

Also all this other goodness from voyager in brass form. :D

dragon3554reviewcs_1.jpg

$_57.JPG

%5Cproducts%5CPE35610%5CPE35610_26.jpg

Edited by AVGBob

This Group Build fits right in with the motif of the airspace of my man cave: anything that flew during the war(s) in Southeast Asia. I'm in for a C-123B Provider, 1/72 Roden kit. My build will depict an Air America Provider that operated in Southeast Asia from 1965 until 9 Feb 73, when it was brought down by a SAM in Laos. Its Air America tail number was 374. It's Air Force number was C-123B-18-FA, 56-4374. This aircraft was converted to a C-123K in 1969, but I'm building it as a "B."

Interestingly, a Royal Lao AF T-28D landed without flaps and rolled into “374” while it was parked at Long Tieng (LS-20A), Laos, on 16 November 72. The Provider was repaired, but the T-28D had to be scrapped. Even more interesting, I built a before-the-crash model of that very T-28D a year ago, and to this day, it's been "flying" in my man cave. This will be a good project for next winter.

Would F-4C 64-0748 in 1989 from speed hunter graphics MiG killer part 2 be eligible with the Arkansas ANG she killed a MiG-17 on May 20 1967?

Hornet14

As long as the aircraft and squadron served during the time frame of this build it's good to go. If the aircraft was re-assigned to a ANG that did not serve in the war then it is not. If you have a link that has information on this aircraft that can help us decide then please forward or post here. Thanks for asking the question!

Edited by tosouthern66
  • 2 weeks later...

Gang

I need to find someone to take my spot as mod for this group build. I have just been hit with a finacial burden that may require me to shut down my internet and sell some stuff. I will not be giving details of my issue due to it being of a personal matter. If I can I will try and particapte as a builder but its not looking good for that either. So if you are interested please contact me or Litvyak. I will check in with you all for as long as I can hold out. I am sorry that it has come down to this but I have no control in this matter, I am just a rider and payee.

Edited by tosouthern66

Gang

I need to find someone to take my spot as mod for this group build. I have just been hit with a finacial burden that may require me to shut down my internet and sell some stuff. I will not be giving details of my issue due to it being of a personal matter. If I can I will try and particapte as a builder but its not looking good for that either. So if you are interested please contact me or Litvyak. I will check in with you all for as long as I can hold out. I am sorry that it has come down to this but I have no control in this matter, I am just a rider and payee.

Sorry to see ya go, bud.. I'm in a similar situation, but hang in there!

Gang

Sorry to hear that. But this is just a hobby to do when one has the time, and the financial means to do it. It's much more important to take care of your financial and personal issues. We'll still be here when you're ready to rejoin the GB.

Joel

Sorry to hear that. But this is just a hobby to do when one has the time, and the financial means to do it. It's much more important to take care of your financial and personal issues. We'll still be here when you're ready to rejoin the GB.

Joel

What Joel says.

Sorry to hear about your woes.

Harald

ps what does one need to do to become a moderator for a groupbuild??