Vietnam War Group Build

99 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam Group Build

• Yes
    • No

My intention still is the OP-2E, but the possibilities...

A T-28D comes to mind, then I need to build the MPM AH-1G, what about a DHC-3 in US Army-markings? I still have an M-113 in my stash that waits to be build. Acamedys F-8 Crusader seems to be a very decent kit, and I love the A-4 Skyhawk - maybe the Hobbyboss kit will be released early enough? If not, thereĀ“s still the Airfix A-4...

HAJO

I'd like to do something Son Tay related. I know of helicopters and -130's, but I'd like to do something that supported the raid like the EA-6A, Skyraider, A-7, etc. Research time!

The Raid, by Benjamin F. Schemmer is the book on the Son Tay prison raid.

As for aircraft related... IIRC the US threw up everything they over the Tonkin Gulf and surrounding areas, to confuse the PAVN AF.

Harald

I'd just like to mention that Caracal and Hi-Decals have both agreed to sponsor our GB and will be donating prizes to be raffled at the end. So a huge thank you to KursadA and Diego! :)

Also, I'd very much welcome another co-mod or even two, so if you're interested, please send me a PM!

As for aircraft related... IIRC the US threw up everything they over the Tonkin Gulf and surrounding areas, to confuse the PAVN AF.

Harald

Thanks, I'll check it out. I know over 116 aircraft were involved.

Edited by fulcrum1

Harald

much of what the subject was about, was classified when The Raid was written. Some sources have opened up, and others have been leaked out. George Vieth wrote a little bit about it his book, and thus giving us some new fresh air on the subject. Look for the book Code Named Brightlight. I don't think anyone else has wrote a book on the subject

gary

What would a B58 Hustler look like in camo?

Would that be a 'what if' ?

greg

If it didn't actually wear camo and take part in the Vietnam War like that, then it's a "what if" for the purposes of the GB. To phrase it differently, for a subject to be valid for this GB, it has to actually have taken part in the Vietnam War (including the French Indochina War) in the scheme being modelled.

Really? No one else is going to build something that doesn't fly? This GB has got to be hands down the most broad topic I have seen on ARC and everyone's still keeping their heads in the clouds. How about at least one modeler joins me on the ground (or water) where the real action is!

I didn't see those in the previous pages. My apologies. Must have inadvertently double tapped on the page next button. I'm just glad that I'm not down here all alone. Welcome to the hit, .....with an s.

I want to thank AVGBob for stepping in and being a Co-Mod. If I still have internet when this think kicks off in September ill be here. Let's keep this thread going so we can attract more participants and sponsors. bob I agree we need more land and sea subjects. I know I am looking at a 1/72 Hasegawa F-4B Phantom with, you guessed it VF-151 markings. If I am able to acquire a PBR kit I may try that as well. Depending on my situation. I hope to have it solved in the next three months!

Edited by tosouthern66

It could. That's a 90mm. We had a FLeshette round that fired about 1,500 fined darts and a H.E.A.T. round with a shaped charge with a ball bearing behind a crystal to soften the target's armor before the main charge went off. As long as you followed certain precautions and instructions, no problem.

The little guy on the tripod was a 40mm low velocity automatic grenade launcher. It fired 12 rounds single or full auto, before reloading. You could actually watch the rounds going out It was a good weapon except for there being no safety and no spare parts.

Wow. That rifle sounds like it was one bad mother. Wouldn't want to get in front of the 40mm though either! I don't mean to knock all the aircraft (if I finish the Patton, I have Italeri's 1/32 F-104C to build so....) I just think the GB provides so much of an opportunity to build a huge variety of land and seagoing craft. Why let it pass us up doing what we always do. Step outside your comfort zone. Try something new! Diversifyyyyyy mmmmmaaannnn....

Really? No one else is going to build something that doesn't fly? This GB has got to be hands down the most broad topic I have seen on ARC and everyone's still keeping their heads in the clouds. How about at least one modeler joins me on the ground (or water) where the real action is!

Yes.. I will join and I'll be building a guntruck...

Harald

I want to thank AVGBob for stepping in and being a Co-Mod. If I still have internet when this think kicks off in September ill be here. Let's keep this thread going so we can attract more participants and sponsors. bob I agree we need more land and sea subjects. I know I am looking at a 1/72 Hasegawa F-4B Phantom with, you guessed it VF-151 markings. If I am able to acquire a PBR kit I may try that as well. Depending on my situation. I hope to have it solved in the next three months!

Hey, no problem. Happy to help out. And wow, VF-151 you say? Couldn't see that one coming from a mile away! :P/> The PBR on the otherhand....great choice! I know this is an airplane forum, but I think building an armored vehicle, truck, artillery piece or boat can really help develop and tune your modelling abilities. It gives us different opportunities to try new techniques and procedures that we might not have considered while working on aircraft. Don't get me wrong, I looove airplanes, and I'll probably build one in this GB, but I'm taking the opportunity to do something a little different, and you should consider it too.

Edited by AVGBob

I think I mentionend my plans of doing a M551 in 1:72, and I also still have a M113 in that scale...

Oh, yes, I did:

I have a set of two 1/72 M551 Sheridans by S-Model that would suit perfectly for this GB. If weĀ“d start next month I could also bring my planned grey-camoed RA-3B.... But IĀ“m afraid IĀ“ll have to build that one without beeing part of a GB, since I donĀ“t want to wait.

But another addition could be the long planned OP-2E I still have in my stash...

HAJO

HAJO

Yeah. I know. I should really learn how to read, or at least look at pictures. I missed a bunch of posts. Went back last night and read through the whole thread again. We have a decent mix of subjects. I'm surprised that tosouthern66 is the only brown water navy entry so far with the PBR.

I think Monogram did a couple boats back in the late 60s. One was the Swift, but I don't remember what the other one was. I think there was also a period hovercraft done not that long ago.

As far as the Pibber goes, we have one at the local Vietnam museum, and I had a book on the war showing a G.I. kneeling on the front of the boat with his flack vest on, a flaming bucket, and he's shooting flaming arrows into the brush ahead of the boat.

Well, main reason propably is that any boats in 1:72 scale that served in that war are hard to find. I only know of a Mach2 PBR (Mach2!!!!) ;) and a LSSC thatĀ“s from some other short-run company.

And since this is the aircraftresourcecenter there might be a good reason why most of the member here will focus on aircraft.. ;)

HAJO

How about firearms?

Besides tanks, ships, aircraft, armored vehicles some infantry weapons took part in the Vietnam War and made an impact to the soldiers on both sides.

The Soviet AK-47 and the American M-16 were both new weapons then and were first used in combat head-to-head in Southeast Asia.