Vietnam War Group Build

99 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam Group Build

• Yes
    • No

Do you have any models of the M-16 or the AK? L.S. used to make full size models of several weapons from that period but they are hard to find. I think it was Dragon who used to make sets based on a specific weapon like the M-16 and included all its variations up to that point in time.

For things that were a bit more exotic like the 90mm recoiless and the M-174 grenade launcher, you will have to scratch build.

Do you have any models of the M-16 or the AK? L.S. used to make full size models of several weapons from that period but they are hard to find. I think it was Dragon who used to make sets based on a specific weapon like the M-16 and included all its variations up to that point in time.

For things that were a bit more exotic like the 90mm recoiless and the M-174 grenade launcher, you will have to scratch build.

Dragon made a box with both an AK-47 and an M-16 but it is also very rare. I do have that box now; its just waiting to be finished.

For too many options for me to commit to one this far out, but in the naval realm there is no reason to limit oneself to PBRs and Swiftboats. There were a huge number of ships serving off the coast of Vietnam, aircraft carriers, a battleship (BB62 New Jersey) and a slew of others.

For too many options for me to commit to one this far out, but in the naval realm there is no reason to limit oneself to PBRs and Swiftboats. There were a huge number of ships serving off the coast of Vietnam, aircraft carriers, a battleship (BB62 New Jersey) and a slew of others.

Revell made a USS Chicago missile cruiser model. I wonder if its still out there?

How about firearms?

Besides tanks, ships, aircraft, armored vehicles some infantry weapons took part in the Vietnam War and made an impact to the soldiers on both sides.

The Soviet AK-47 and the American M-16 were both new weapons then and were first used in combat head-to-head in Southeast Asia.

Never thought about it, but I don't see why not. Fits the rules in my opinion.

I'd just like to mention that Caracal and Hi-Decals have both agreed to sponsor our GB and will be donating prizes to be raffled at the end. So a huge thank you to KursadA and Diego! :)/>

How does one become a sponsor and what does it curtail? As a "fan" of all things from the Vietnam War I may be interested in helping out if I can.

Ladies and Gents

Small update to my situation. I have a better idea of my financial situation. As of right now looks like I can keep my internet but we have a long way to go before the GB starts. The only unknown I have is what my electric bill will look like this summer. So I am with you for a little while longer.

What is the start date for this one? I have several kits I am looking at doing.

Mike

September 1, 2015 to March 1, 2016 I believe. It's in the Group Build Calendar down in the Group Build topics.

HTH

Regards,

Don.

I think I mentionend my plans of doing a M551 in 1:72, and I also still have a M113 in that scale...

Oh, yes, I did:

HAJO

If you might want to do a slightly different 113, many people do the Army, I think I might have some 1/72nd decals for this:

scan0054-1.jpg

scan0055-3.jpg

It was our squadron's command vehicle for Air Base Defence and would handle a situation in one of the base sectors if something happened, like an attack, or it could direct security police forces for an ambush on the perimeter

Is that an USAF M113? Surely looks cool! If you have some additional pictures so I can get an idea how to paint the camo-scheme I would be honored to build "your" Air Base Defence command vehicle!

HAJO

I think Monogram did a couple boats back in the late 60s. One was the Swift, but I don't remember what the other one was. I think there was also a period hovercraft done not that long ago.

As far as the Pibber goes, we have one at the local Vietnam museum, and I had a book on the war showing a G.I. kneeling on the front of the boat with his flack vest on, a flaming bucket, and he's shooting flaming arrows into the brush ahead of the boat.

I think Monogram did the Swift (I think reissued once and now from Revell Germany and no interior on the kit) a RAG and a "Patrol Junk" all 1/48. I think the junk was a bit small but the others were pretty good for the time. Might have the Junk and the Swift somewhere and maybe even the RAG but that somewhere is no doubt a place that my kids will see when they sell or give my stash away. I think one Swift is used in an school oceanography program and there are a few in museums. I wonder if there is a kit of the Nasty class...would be great for it to be 1/48 to go with the old Monogram kits but I am sure that is too much to ask. Used to fly with a guy that had been in the Prancing Ponies and he enjoyed the heck out it since he had wanted to be a fighter pilot and the rest of his Navy time had been flying E-1s and E-2s and said the guys in back got pissed off if the pilots were having fun.

Me, I am thinking a T-28D or a Royal Lao Army M8 scout car if I could figure out the markings. I think the RLA also had Chaffee's along with older and newer Deuce and Halfs (some of the newer ones were supposedly made by Toyota? or some other Japanese truck maker and a lot of USAID M211s M-35s and some RLA trucks had been rebuilt in Japan) and M-37s the Lao Army had to use whatever the US provided...mostly old.

Edited by sanmigmike

So questions...does it have to be IN Vietnam or is Indochina (Laos and Cambodia) okay or could something at Udorn or Korat or Sattahip or some other base in direct support be okay. Military only or something from Air America or CASI (or the contract carriers to the French in Indochina) or the CIC aircraft or USAID work? USAID in Laos had some ex-military trucks in bright colors...mostly a green that was a close match to the old Testors gloss green but a few other colors as well.

Here's some other shots:

scan0056-2.jpg

scan0144.jpg

scan0141.jpg

This was the only other track they cammoflaged but it should give you most of the pattern they used, the back you can fake. Who's going to know? Normally the Deciple was kept out of site and mostly used at night where you had the greatest chance of an attack. Besides, the second one doesn't completely follow the pattern of the Devil's Deciple.

During an alert, all Law Enforcement not currently on duty would be blended into the Air Base Defense section and the patrols would double up for each base sector. The qualified armor drivers would get either a regular 113 or a XM-796E.

scan0135.jpg

scan0151-1.jpg

scan0156-1.jpg

scan0295.jpg

scan0107.jpg

scan0110.jpg

scan0150.jpg

I think Monogram did the Swift (I think reissued once and now from Revell Germany and no interior on the kit) a RAG and a "Patrol Junk" all 1/48. I think the junk was a bit small but the others were pretty good for the time. Might have the Junk and the Swift somewhere and maybe even the RAG but that somewhere is no doubt a place that my kids will see when they sell or give my stash away. I think one Swift is used in an school oceanography program and there are a few in museums. I wonder if there is a kit of the Nasty class...would be great for it to be 1/48 to go with the old Monogram kits but I am sure that is too much to ask. Used to fly with a guy that had been in the Prancing Ponies and he enjoyed the heck out it since he had wanted to be a fighter pilot and the rest of his Navy time had been flying E-1s and E-2s and said the guys in back got pissed off if the pilots were having fun.

Me, I am thinking a T-28D or a Royal Lao Army M8 scout car if I could figure out the markings. I think the RLA also had Chaffee's along with older and newer Deuce and Halfs (some of the newer ones were supposedly made by Toyota? or some other Japanese truck maker and a lot of USAID M211s M-35s and some RLA trucks had been rebuilt in Japan) and M-37s the Lao Army had to use whatever the US provided...mostly old.

There is no kit of the Nasty Boat! Why I don't know, as a 1/35th scale kit would sell and even a 1/48th kit would too. There is no kit of the M37 truck, and this very odd as just about every unit had at least one. Yet they do the oddball stuff like the Gamma Goat. There were factory built gun trucks off the M54 chassis. Think all M35's were home brew. Yet we see no M54 truck, and once again every Arty unit and Armor unit had a bunch of them. I would like to see somebody come out with a new a accurate M110/M107 SPG.

I'd like to see a new and accurate F100d in 1/48th, and somebody redo the A4c Skyhawk. We got a new C123, but it's also the wrong one for Vietnam. Lets hope Roden comes out with a later version, and some after market folks do the special op's versions.

gary

I had some decals made up in a few different scales, including 1/72nd. If you're serious, send me your address and I'll get them to you.

I had a friend from our class quit school and join the Army. He ended up running the convoy route between Quan-Tri and Danang. He told us that one time he ended up bogged down in a patty with bad guys crawling all over trying to pry the hatches open. A call got a quick response as two Sherridens came up from opposite directions, lowered their short barrels and fired a fleshette charge. He said the water around them went flying up and the area was declared clear. How he ended up stuck in the first place, he didn't say.