Vietnam War Group Build

99 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam Group Build

• Yes
    • No

I had some decals made up in a few different scales, including 1/72nd. If you're serious, send me your address and I'll get them to you.

I had a friend from our class quit school and join the Army. He ended up running the convoy route between Quan-Tri and Danang. He told us that one time he ended up bogged down in a patty with bad guys crawling all over trying to pry the hatches open. A call got a quick response as two Sherridens came up from opposite directions, lowered their short barrels and fired a fleshette charge. He said the water around them went flying up and the area was declared clear. How he ended up stuck in the first place, he didn't say.

From the northern part of Quang Tri down to DaNang would have been a two day and a half at the minimum ride. Also pretty dangerous. I'd guess he was referring to Quang Tri Provence in general (still a lot of ground). Just from Camp Eagle down to DaNang would have been a long day's ride. I did the trip from Chu Lai to Danang a couple times, and it was dark when we rolled into Baldy. About 50 miles south. Tracks slowed us down to about 20 to 25mph. A truck could have done 45mph. I did the road from Baldy to Ross twice, and that was almost a day's ride. Thien Phouc Road was even worse (about forty miles south). Starts out like a Sunday drive, and 12 miles later becomes a nightmare. Several CMH's have been awarded in that area. Average road speed was about five miles per hour, and often three hundred yards and stop to recon the next three or four hundred yards.

Back to bee hives and the Sheridan. I once saw an M113 hit a mine at a blue crossing. The troop was in hot pursuit of an NVA heavy weapons company. The crew left the APC as they knew two other APC's and a Sheridan were rolling thru about 400 yards behind them. When the got to the high point over looking the river, they saw six or eight NVA stripping the weapons off the track. The Sheridan let loose a can round killing everybody on the track. After towing the track out of the crossing, they discovered that the darts had penetrated the hull! Thus rendering it to being used as some rear security guard. You soon learned that whenever you left the well traveled roads, you got out and walked. Trucks and tracks were prime targets. You soon learned to never sleep in a truck or a track. Better to get wet that get shredded.

gary

I had some decals made up in a few different scales, including 1/72nd. If you're serious, send me your address and I'll get them to you.

Could you send me a picture of the markings you did? I´m not sure how many individual markings will be needed, and I don´t want you spent much money on shipping for items I may be able to do myself.

HAJO

The markings are pretty simple. Since it's a combat vehicle, everything is in black except for the "Devil's Deciple" desogn. The markings read U.S.AIR FORCE. Below that are the numbers 69L903. That shows the year, weight class, and vehicle number. I checked my shots of other armored vehicles and could not see any markings on the front or back, just the sides. The vehicle information you could probably make but the name could be a problem. The best shot I have is the full side picture. It's the same one I used when I had the decals made. Fell free to use it or my photobucket if you need to.

• 3 weeks later...

Ladies and Gents

Things seem to be taking a turn for the worse for me. Not only am I having issues with a supposedly debt that I owe military pay, now I am facing possible medical bills once I see my doctor tomorrow. With that said I have no choice but to shut off my internet. Not sure how long this will last but need to save the money. I want to say thank you to all those that I have met here on ARC. I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the fine models on here and learning new techniques. After the Dr's visit I will be contacting TWC to shut my internet off. I will miss being a part of this site and will miss playing COD 4 online. I am losing two important parts of my life by doing this but have no other alternative. I am going to keep my data plan on my mobile as long as I can. I will be able to check things out to a certain degree on here. You all keep building and maybe one day I can rejoin you all on here. Thanks again and good luck to all!

Tosouthern66 good luck and I do hope you get everything worked out. ARC will be here when you are able to region the fray.

Regards,

Don.

tosouthern66,

I'm sad you won't be able to fully participate in this GB. The poll shows amazing support for this topic. Bravo!

I hope things work out for you in the best possible way.

Good to see everyone getting their ducks in a row for September. It's looking like the turnout will be quite sizable and nicely well rounded in terms of subject matter. Can't wait!

Having spent 3 years in Viet Nam doing imagery analysis for the SR-71, RF-4C and Ryan BQM-34 Firebee drone, it is pretty much mandatory that I participate in this Group Build with at least one of those 3 machines. I am looking forward to the September start.

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent 3 years in Viet Nam doing imagery analysis for the SR-71, RF-4C and Ryan BQM-34 Firebee drone, it is pretty much mandatory that I participate in this Group Build with at least one of those 3 machines. I am looking forward to the September start.

I'm voting for the SR-71.

In addition to the Dragon M48A3, I might build a plane at the same time( :blink: ). I have a new Italeri 1/32 F-104C with some AM, and was thinking about doing that one. But now I happened into a Tamiya 1/32 F-4E with some AM goodies. I'm torn. Should I do both? Or will that lead to... :bandhead2: .

I would go with the F-104C, more interesting and the Phantom seems

more "common", the F-104 would have a uniqueness so to speak. Just my opinion.

Myself I am torn between the B-57 and a Thud.---John

Edited by john53

Yes. I agree. The F-104 seems to be less "run of the mill". Starfighter it is. And surveying my work area has shown that building two 1/32 scale aircraft would require one being built on the floor, so that's out.

I would go with the F-104C, more interesting and the Phantom seems

more "common", the F-104 would have a uniqueness so to speak. Just my opinion.

Myself I am torn between the B-57 and a Thud.---John

The B-57 would fall into the "less common" category between those two, but the F-105 is such a cool airplane imho, tough choice.

The B-57 would fall into the "less common" category between those two, but the F-105 is such a cool airplane imho, tough choice.

Yeah you have a point, that and the Thud is huge, 1/48 scale and lots of work.

I have the Thud in my stash, but there is a show coming up soon so I thought I

might look for a deal at a vendors table on a B-57E or maybe a B.Maybe even an

Australian Canberra B.20.....served in Vietnam with U.S. forces....hmmmmmm---John

Edited by john53

I had a 1/144 Tomcat. Someone mentioned Operation Frequent Wind, Saigon

evacuation 1975. Supposedly VF-1 and VF-2 flew CAP, I have seen VF-1 plane

side number 103 with NO fuel tanks and one sidewinder on the starboard

pylon, no other weapons flying over Vietnam. Are there any pictures of VF-2

Bounty Hunters over Saigon also, same load, NO fuel tanks and one sidewinder?

The seventh F-14A back from front of pic is side number 103 which I saw a pic of

flying over Vietnam during Operation Frequent Wind.---John

774px-F-14As_of_VF-1_and_VF-2_on_USS_Enterprise_CVN-65_c1976_zpstq9ejsqi.jpg

Edited by john53

Hers a good vid from Zeno while we're awaitin' for the GB

The Twenty Five Hour Day: F-105s in Vietnam - Restored Color, 1967

Edited by dnl42