99 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam Group Build

• Yes
    • No

I was thinking B-57, then F-14A, then F-102 but why spend my

grandkid's inheritance when I have this fine Revell 1/72 A-1E

Skyraider. It has the Cobra Co. resin interior, I just need to

scrounge up some ordinance to hang off the wings. That and I need

to do some googling on the "fat face's" service, what unit etc.

I have done a few A-1Hs but this is my first fat face.---John

Skyraider%201_zpsw9ujjhqs.jpg

You could do the tub that was used in a pilot pick up. The pilot of the "E" landed during and picked up another pilot with the enemy closing in. Somehow they got back into the air and the pilot won the Medal of Honor for it. I think the aircraft is the one at the Air Force Museum. When I went to the museum back in 1970 they had a "E" just inside the gate but it was sitting up on a concrete platform. No other aircraft was displayed like that.

just a thought.

Ooh, that reminds me... I think I heard of this during the Aus/NZ GB... but wasn't the toilet bomb/dunny bomb dropped during the Vietnam War? Does anyone have some more info on this?

Is that the insignia for VA-25?

I think they released a model with that load out.

Yes.

At least one 1/48 model was released, by Hasegawa. Brengun has all the needed bits in 1/32, 1/48, and 1/72.

Agreed, that will be fantastic! I'm primarily an airplane fan myself, I do hope there will be plenty of interesting land (and sea?) based subjects, too!

Who does a decent 1/144 F-4J, F-4B, F-4N or F-4S? Only one out there Otaki?

Did an E early last year, been looking for a NAVY one.---John

Edited by john53

There's always Antos. I saw a film where a Antos pulled up and blasted a wall apart and took out a section of tower. The armor wasn't much but it's hard to argue with six heavy recoiless rifles.

One of our members John who lives close to me, just sent me the Encore 1/48 F-102A Delta Dagger. Think I'm going to go with it as my 1st build. I'm sure that one less F-4C would never be missed.

Joel

Cool, I was thinking of that, I just received the Pro Modeler, Monogram, 1/48

F-102 case X wing. The problem is I am not sure if any Case X wing F-102s served

in Vietnam.---John

Cool, I was thinking of that, I just received the Pro Modeler, Monogram, 1/48

F-102 case X wing. The problem is I am not sure if any Case X wing F-102s served

in Vietnam.---John

John,

My comfort zone is really WW11 aircraft through Korea. I know very little about Jets other then from strictly a modeling perspective, which includes doing what research I need for the particular model I'm building.

The instructions have two color schemes. The 1st one is the all Gray scheme circa 1962, while the 2nd scheme is for A F-102A s/n 56-1389 of the 64th FIS circa 1966 in Vietnam camo scheme. And that's the aircraft that I will try to duplicate.

As I said the kit was donated by a friend, and he had started it with the intakes that are slightly misaligned, so some body work is in order. Also, I only have the original kit nose cone, so I'll try to alter that somewhat. I mostly build enhanced OOB types with a concentration on the overall finished appearance for a display model, and that will be my focus here as well.

Joel

Joel the serial number gives it away. 56-1389 was a case XX wing. In 1956 they

fixed the wing starting with plane 56-1317, all planes including 56-1317 and after

that had new wing, case XX, 20, so yours in Vietnam had a turned down wing, new and

improved. The older ones had a turned up wing tip. The new wing improved handling.

They would probably not let case X wing planes fly with case XX wings, didn't have

the same performance.Same as F-86A s weren't allowed to fly with F-86E s in Korea.---John

Edited by john53

You are welcome. I guess my case X wing will be a Ct ANG plane

or better yet Dubya's plane he flew in the Texas ANG. I believe

his bird was a case X.---John

John,

There is one major issue with the kit that really is bothering me, and that's the raised panel lines. They're done ever so slightly, and when compared to the original trenches when we 1st recessed panel lines, I use to prefer them. But now it's a different era, and recessed panel lines look so much better. I could re-scribe which sounds easy, but with my limited scribing skills I'm not so sure I can pull it off, especially with the compound shapes of the fuselage.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I grew up in the 50s and 60s. Could really care less about raised or lowered panel lines,

insey or outsey navels. Not my thing, I want it to looks accurate, never was turned on

or off about lines. But that's just me, others may say the raised lines ARE innacurate,

I don't really care.---John

I grew up in the 50s and 60s. Could really care less about raised or lowered panel lines,

insey or outsey navels. Not my thing, I want it to looks accurate, never was turned on

or off about lines. But that's just me, others may say the raised lines ARE innacurate,

I don't really care.---John

John,

I'd prefer recessed panel lines, but like I said, the raised lines in the kit are really well done. Think I'll just go that route.

Joel