Vietnam War Group Build

99 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam Group Build

• Yes
    • No

Meant 17th. I must have hit two keys at once and not noticed. I got some good shots of them when During my tour there in 1974. In '72 I was at U-Tapao thinking about taking some time and catching the Klong Hopper to see the other bases. Never managed it.

I've discovered in the back of my smallish stash the Gallery 1/48 scale HH-34J USAF combat Rescue Helicopter. They were flown during the Vietnam war, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if the decals in the kit are for the Vietnam era or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

I've discovered in the back of my smallish stash the Gallery 1/48 scale HH-34J USAF combat Rescue Helicopter. They were flown during the Vietnam war, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if the decals in the kit are for the Vietnam era or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

My understanding is the HH-34J was used to free up other CSAR helos for Vietnam. I've never seen any reference to them being used outside the USA. They were retired USN SH-34s, and by that point no other service was flying the H-34 so it seems very unlikely any were deployed.

In the information I looked at I could only find stateside bases mentioned, and not many of those.

Here's a few shots of the 17th at Korat:

scan0004-2.jpg

scan0025-7.jpg

scan0026-1.jpg

scan0052-1.jpg

scan0037-1.jpg

scan0042-1.jpg

scan0035-1.jpg

scan0038-1.jpg

scan0041-1.jpg

scan0040-1-1.jpg

You night find them helpful or just interesting.

The shot with the moon in it is fantastic - a high-res version of that would instantly make my desktop background! ;)

Completely agree!!!

Is there anything you can do with it? I took that with a 350mm lens and a 2 power converter to boost how close I could get. I don't know what type of film I was using, we got whatever happened to arrive with the base supplies.

The in-flight shot was taken with my 35mm Petri FT 2 camera.

These were taken with an instamatic 110:

scan0092.jpg

scan0091-1.jpg

scan0091.jpg

scan0090.jpg

scan0089.jpg

scan0088.jpg

scan0097.jpg

Hm, there may be a bunch of Thuds in this build. I was leaning towards the Monogram 1/48 Thud in Kutyna's Polish Glider markings. Perhaps I'll switch to an HB 1/48 A-6A or Roden 1/48 OV-1B, both from Grumman.

And all three are from Long Island aircraft manufacturers :D

Oh man! I have a 1/32 Trumpeter D & G. I'm doing my M48A3 first, and I really want to do my Italeri 1/32 F-104C after that, but after all these pics......THANKS A LOT GUYS! THIS IS NOT HELPFUL!

Is there anything you can do with it?

It's a pretty simple job to color correct these images. There are free tools that let you do that. The automatic color correction of the free image viewer Irfanview does a great job, and it has a full suite of manual tools if you think you can do better.

Photobucket itself has an automatic color correction tool (Edit button, Enhance button, Color Fix button), but it's pretty lame.

If you guys want to copy them, that's fine. I didn't spend all that time walking around taking the shots for them not to be seen by others.

Any questions, just ask.

Seriously though, really cool pics ikar.

Ikar, those are fantastic. Thank you!

Yes they are. Now I kind of want to do an F-105 which is silly since I have a stash full of Vietnam suitable kits, but would have to buy an F-105. :bandhead2:

On the off chance you don't actually have anything in the stash suitable to the GB, I just got email from Sprue Bros on the arrival of Eduard's 1/48 A-4E A-4F Skyhawk 'Vietnam Scooters'. It's apparently the Hasegawa plastic plus Eduard brass, resin, and masks, as well as Cartograf decals.

Also got a mail from Jadar Hobby (Poland) on the arrival of Roden's 1/72 NC/AC-123K Black Spot

No affiliations, just a satisfied customer of both...

On the off chance you don't actually have anything in the stash suitable to the GB, I just got email from Sprue Bros on the arrival of Eduard's 1/48 A-4E A-4F Skyhawk 'Vietnam Scooters'. It's apparently the Hasegawa plastic plus Eduard brass, resin, and masks, as well as Cartograf decals.

Also got a mail from Jadar Hobby (Poland) on the arrival of Roden's 1/72 NC/AC-123K Black Spot

No affiliations, just a satisfied customer of both...

dnl43,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be ordering at least one of the Eduard Scooters ASAP.

Joel