Vietnam War Group Build

99 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam Group Build

• Yes
    • No

Chesshirecat

What kit and decals did you have in mind?

early F14A with the Wolf Pack decals (the kit comes with them, but are starting to yellow). I could also be forced into an OV1 Mohawk (Roden), being as I have a couple.

Nice thing about Vietnam, is the huge variety of aircraft to pick from. Plus we are finally starting to see a trickle of armor. We saw everything from a generic DC3 to the latest and greatest fighters out there. There should not be much of a reason to say I can't find a kit for the ride I want to do (except for the much needed EB10 Skyknight). Sad thing is that the manufacturers still won't give us an M37 and M54 truck! Somebody has announced the M56 Scorpion after folks begged for it over a fifteen year period. Had the Nazis used them; everybody would be sell one of these kits.

gary

Guys and Gals Please see first post for updates on rules. I applied for the GB a few minutes ago. As soon as we get the dates we will let you know. As far as prizes go myself and Litvyak will be working on this as soon as we know more. I have some ideas I tossed at her and will be discussing.

Lady and Gents

Our application for this GB is under review from what I understand and I am still working on getting sponsor's/prizes. If you all know of any companies other than what is on our sponsor page let me know. I also want to hear from you all on this idea regarding prizes. Every completed build gets a entry in the prize list as normal. Here is what I was thinking, instead of picking the prizes for you we do a list starting with the 1st ticket. That individual gets his choice out of the prize list and then to the second. This will eliminate someone from getting something they don't care for. This is just an idea at this point. I want your input on this because this is our GB and we should all be included in the decision making. So let me have it!

early F14A with the Wolf Pack decals (the kit comes with them, but are starting to yellow). I could also be forced into an OV1 Mohawk (Roden), being as I have a couple.

Nice thing about Vietnam, is the huge variety of aircraft to pick from. Plus we are finally starting to see a trickle of armor. We saw everything from a generic DC3 to the latest and greatest fighters out there. There should not be much of a reason to say I can't find a kit for the ride I want to do (except for the much needed EB10 Skyknight). Sad thing is that the manufacturers still won't give us an M37 and M54 truck! Somebody has announced the M56 Scorpion after folks begged for it over a fifteen year period. Had the Nazis used them; everybody would be sell one of these kits.

gary

VF-1 flew air cover over Saigon in April of 1975 so it would count.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this.

Edited by tosouthern66

i wanted to participate with f6f-5c of france airforces which were based in indo china. they left Vietnam in 1954 (before 55 which is indicated in your rules). may i participate in groupbuild? :rolleyes:/>

Memphis

We may be expanding the dates to include the Indo China part as well so don't get discouraged. I will PM you after I receive a reply to my PM to my second in command.

I'll be in with the A.F. Security Police in I can get my scanner working. Just to give some an idea of who was involved, here's a partial list of countries involved. The war spread into other countries as it progressed, sometimes only with cong units.

North Vietnam

South Vietnam

Australia

France

United States

South Korea

Thailand

Laos

Cambodia

Burma (cong)

Malaysia (cong)

Russia (According to stories, not only supplies)

I am looking forward to this GB :thumbsup:! I will be building Monograms 1/72 EF-105F Wild Weasel in the markings of either "Crown Seven" of the 44th TFS based at Korat in 1968 or "Sneaky Pete" from the 388th TFW also at Korat but in 1966. If time permits I may also build a 1/72 F-100F in Wild Weasel configuration...markings yet to be determined (but I have a few days to decide on that :lol: ).

Regards,

Don.

Looks like the GB has been approved.

Phantom

Thanks for the info!!!

Did we get the dates we asked for or a different start date?

Lady/Gents

If the dates are the same that I applied for we start 1 September 2015

Edited by tosouthern66

Here's a couple I'd like to try for:

scan0057-5.jpg

scan0055-5.jpg

This one is wishful thinking, as far as I know, there is no kit:

scan0014-5.jpg

At least I can try these:

scan0110.jpg

scan0144.jpg

scan0103.jpg

Final decisions to follow. By the way, does anyone make of model of the M-715 truck?

scan0131-1.jpg

Final decisions to follow. By the way, does anyone make of model of the M-715 truck?

scan0131-1.jpg

Sort of, Revell did a 80s Jeep Honcho in 1/25 that with a fair bit of work could probably be turned into an M-715.

There is a glaring lack of post war soft skins.

From my perspective I don't think I could call it a post war vehicle.

Anyway, here's another one that would make a interesting subject, even though it's not a combat vehicle:

scan0290.jpg

It would be a major project though because as far as I know there isn't even a base kit to start from.

scan0014-5.jpg

Sharkit released the Air Truk in both 1/72 and 1/48 - there's a 1/48 kit on eBay right now, or you could see if Sharkit themselves have one in stock.

Vince

Edited by vince14

Here's a couple I'd like to try for:

scan0057-5.jpg

scan0055-5.jpg

scan0014-5.jpg

At least I can try these:

scan0110.jpg

scan0144.jpg

scan0103.jpg

scan0131-1.jpg

just to add to the pics:

The Jeeps were usually M151a1's, but there were a few M38's in country. All I saw were painted battle ship grey and used by the Navy. I would imagine that that Starlight scope was pretty much useless after the first round! Needed to load up on vitamin A instead! Jeeps with the 106mm recoilless rifle were not all that common, and maybe saw two. A Jeep with a fifty caliber on it was a show piece, as it didn't work. Be thinking M60 machine gun.

Keep in mind that most all aircraft doing CAS missions south of the 17th Parallel did not carry air to air missiles. But a few that were up near the DMZ and over Laos did. (there was always the rumored MIG sighting up there). We never really saw snakeyes till about mid way thru Tet in 68, but out in Laos they were used daily. Guess they were in short supply. 500 and 750 pounders were the norm, because they were good enough for 90% of the targets encountered.

Infantry relied on arty much more than air power, contrary to popular belief. Reason why is that the enemy moved after dark, and in the mountains the big gun is king.

gary

From my perspective I don't think I could call it a post war vehicle.

Anyway, here's another one that would make a interesting subject, even though it's not a combat vehicle:

scan0290.jpg

It would be a major project though because as far as I know there isn't even a base kit to start from.

I think there is a resin cab available in 1/25 which could get you started, but would entail a fair bit of scratchbuilding. They don't include photos but this vender is highly regarded in the model car world.

http://www.modelhaus.com/index.php?c=4247

and yes, you are correct the M715 wouldn't be "postwar" in the standard use of late 40s, I just meant after WW2. With only a few exceptions soft skins tend to be either WW2 or 1990s and newer. The soft skins of Korea, Vietnam and even 1980s are poorly represented in kits or even resin.

I've seriously considered using a paper model of an M37 as a template to scratchbuild one in plastic.