Vietnam War Group Build

99 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam Group Build

• Yes
    • No

Here's a couple I'd like to try for:

At least I can try these:

Final decisions to follow. By the way, does anyone make of model of the M-715 truck?

scan0131-1.jpg

Hi Robert - good news on the M715 - there is now a 1/72 model out plus the Ambulance with the maintenance truck to follow...

http://www.panzerfux.de/Sortiert-nach-Hersteller/1-72/1-72-Hersteller-Q-Z/1-72-Trident.htm?shop=panzerfux&SessionId=&a=catalog&t=4442&c=47497&p=47497

I was going to ask you what colour they should be ???

Cheers,

Haydn.

Ah crap.....

Now why did you guys post this?? :bandhead2:

Bettter yet WHY did I asnwer?? :bandhead2:

And why am I already considering my entry.. (like I have no other projects that I'm working on...) :woot.gif:

Oh well.. there's no date set (yet) so I can finish a few things first.

(I made a promise to myself, only to finish a new kit when I finish 3 on the shelves...)

Looks like I'm in wuth an M113/M54 gun truck thingie.... which I'll be building and simultaniuosly posting updates here and on the FB page of the local shop I bought the kits from, as the shop owner did ask me t display the kit.. (if and when finished)...

Something like this

Damm you all.....

And yes I do blame James Lyles for this, as he did 2 Guntruck books (hey gotta blame someone right??)

Harald, in need of even more coffee...

Edited by PhantomPhreakII

Thanks for the link on the 715. Here's another version we started to use:

scan0147.jpg

We had our painted a sort of semi-gloss O.D., our M-706s, if camouflaged were they same way until the sun flattened them out. Anything else O.D., tracks, ducks, duce 1/2, or jeeps were flat.

We had a few C.J.5 jeeps, mostly for the squadron commander and his exec. but everybody else had 151s. The other C.J.5s were used by all squadron commanders and maint. supervisors. I don't remember seeing one without its hard top and usually the spare in the back had a dover or a plate in the middle of the wheel denoting its owner.

Since you mentioned the 106mm recoiless, here's what we had:

scan0006-6.jpg

90mm recoiless rifle. Wonderful weapon if you remember a couple things about it.

1. Don't get in front of it, don't get behind it.

2. fire one shot and run. After you pull the rigger, everybody will know where you are.

3. account for every round fired, It's necessary to be accurate for the warrenty. After 200 rounds, the weapon is no longer gauranteed to be recoiless. Not a good thing. They never explained how this was possible, but small details weren't that important.

4. When loading a H.E.A.T. round, don't scratch the crystal on the end of the round, the results are unhealthy.

Edited by ikar

Thanks for the link on the 715. Here's another version we started to use:

scan0147.jpg

We had our painted a sort of semi-gloss O.D., our M-706s, if camouflaged were they same way until the sun flattened them out. Anything else O.D., tracks, ducks, duce 1/2, or jeeps were flat.

We had a few C.J.5 jeeps, mostly for the squadron commander and his exec. but everybody else had 151s. The other C.J.5s were used by all squadron commanders and maint. supervisors. I don't remember seeing one without its hard top and usually the spare in the back had a dover or a plate in the middle of the wheel denoting its owner.

Since you mentioned the 106mm recoiless, here's what we had:

scan0006-6.jpg

90mm recoiless rifle. Wonderful weapon if you remember a couple things about it.

1. Don't get in front of it, don't get behind it.

2. fire one shot and run. After you pull the rigger, everybody will know where you are.

3. account for every round fired, It's necessary to be accurate for the warrenty. After 200 rounds, the weapon is no longer gauranteed to be recoiless. Not a good thing. They never explained how this was possible, but small details weren't that important.

4. When loading a H.E.A.T. round, don't scratch the crystal on the end of the round, the results are unhealthy.

I don't know what the back blast was on the 90mm, but the 106 had a 100 foot back blast! We had one at A102, and was wheel mounted. Never shot it, even though it was just setting there gathering dust. One day we caught a rocket team moving up the Hiep Duc Ridge, and decided to shoot at them with the 106. There was a building about thirty feet to the rear. The blast ate us alive!

You've never had fun till your lying beside a Sheridan loaded with a canister round. You can see daylight under the tracks, and the blast is rather memorable.

gary

I have a set of two 1/72 M551 Sheridans by S-Model that would suit perfectly for this GB. If we´d start next month I could also bring my planned grey-camoed RA-3B.... But I´m afraid I´ll have to build that one without beeing part of a GB, since I don´t want to wait.

But another addition could be the long planned OP-2E I still have in my stash...

HAJO

They said the back blast was powerful enough to lift a jeep off the ground.

I remember once sleeping on the chopper pad at LZ Ross getting ready for my first trip into The Que Son Valley in the morning. We got there at dusk, and had everything rigged and ready to be flown out early in the morning. Sometime around midnight, I was literally blown off the ground by an explosion. It was bad enough that we all checked other out for wounds thinking it was a 122 rocket. Nobody was bleeding, but we all stung all over. Turned out that there was three 175 guns about 200 yards behind us! What we caught was the blast from the 175mm gun! I actually thought I was dead, as it was that bad. At dawn I was woke up to even more gunfire from a 105 howitzer battery shooting at a lone truck coming down a mountain side. They must have fired twenty rounds without a single hit. So much for their marksmanship! Even crazier, I was out on an LP that was maybe 300 yards past the wire. It was raining pretty had, and we just huddled down in the mud cussing the weather. Behind us were three 155mm howitzers getting read to fire three rounds right over us. The rounds exploded in the air right in front of us (maybe 50 yards!) Needless to say we were ready for a change in clothes! The rain drops set the rounds off. The round went off between us and another out post that was probed almost nightly. They had their laundry out on a flash wall in the morning!

gary

I have an article from our base paper somewhere with a story about a sector supervisor on a post check with another person. They stopped at one of the listening points, not much more that a pile of sandbags, and talked to the guy stuck out there. He gave them his opinion of the current circumstances and post monsoon weather in typical G.I. terms only to find out the other person was one of the base Chaplins.

On the night I graduated from high school, we were in the music room getting ready when one of the girls said she had just gotten a letter and photo from her boy friend who was over there. I looked at it and saw him and a couple others standing in the foreground. In the back on each edge was a Sheridan. Between them was what looked like a atomic cannon sitting on its center pedestal. I have seen the transport tractors occasionally running around the area. Picatinny Arsenal was literally on the edge of town so it was nothing to see all sorts of things like skycranes and things running around. Someone tried to tell me It might have been an old French railway gun but I'm sure of what I saw.

Did you see some of the latest ISIS clips? They have one with a truck, and a Hummer firing but they also show some guy running up to an embankment with what looks like a big recoiless and firing.

I have an article from our base paper somewhere with a story about a sector supervisor on a post check with another person. They stopped at one of the listening points, not much more that a pile of sandbags, and talked to the guy stuck out there. He gave them his opinion of the current circumstances and post monsoon weather in typical G.I. terms only to find out the other person was one of the base Chaplins.

On the night I graduated from high school, we were in the music room getting ready when one of the girls said she had just gotten a letter and photo from her boy friend who was over there. I looked at it and saw him and a couple others standing in the foreground. In the back on each edge was a Sheridan. Between them was what looked like a atomic cannon sitting on its center pedestal. I have seen the transport tractors occasionally running around the area. Picatinny Arsenal was literally on the edge of town so it was nothing to see all sorts of things like skycranes and things running around. Someone tried to tell me It might have been an old French railway gun but I'm sure of what I saw.

Did you see some of the latest ISIS clips? They have one with a truck, and a Hummer firing but they also show some guy running up to an embankment with what looks like a big recoiless and firing.

the only cannon I can think of that sat on a center pedestal would have been the M102 howitzer, and that's a 105mm gun. the M198 is too new for the era, plus not big enough. Anything bigger would have been an SPG.

Warsaw Pac use a lot of 75mm and 90mm recoilless rifles. The SF team operating out of my base camp used two of them. They also had a smaller 57mm recoilless rifle, and used it daily firing up the ridge line.

gary

The one I'm thinking of would have the M65 Atomic Cannon. She was a big monster, 280mm, with a large transport tractor on each end.

If what you saw was indeed the "Atomic Cannon", then they must have been using conventional ammunition. No nuclear rounds were ever used in Viet Nam.

If what you saw was indeed the "Atomic Cannon", then they must have been using conventional ammunition. No nuclear rounds were ever used in Viet Nam.

The biggest piece of arty in country was the M110 eight inch SPG. Many were converted over to 175 guns, and vise versa. There are some small differences between them, and stand out like a sore thumb. When there was a need for something bigger, you had a choice between bombs and Naval gunfire. You pretty much had to make an appointment to get gunfire from a heavy cruiser or Big Boy.

gary

I'm not sure of the scale you do but Airfix produced a 1/72 scale Bird Dog and Model USA did one in 1/48. I can't help with those decals though.

Here's a couple I'd like to try for:

scan0055-5.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

I've got the 72nd kit, and picked up a set of decals. When I saw this one turn up at an air show, I asked him why he put it in those markings. The response was that's the way it came when he bought it.

Here's what they looked like in their natural environment. I was kind of hoping that I could make out the numbers to see if it was the same one.

scan0056-5.jpg

In a year I only saw them fly a couple times, but it was a big base and I didn't spend a lot of time near the Thai Navy area.

Is everyone getting their planned builds together? Do we have any questions so far? As of right now I do not have any sponsors on board yet but I am working on it. If you have someone in mind contact them and get us a contact name/address/phone number.