Vietnam War Group Build

99 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam Group Build

• Yes
    • No

I think I will build Dick Bellinger's MiG killing F-8E for this GB, for starters. Got a very nice IPMS USA Nats sheet with this option on it.

Yup, I'm almost ready to go. I've got myself 10 models, all 1/72, and some goodies are going to arrive next week. If I can cough up the dough, there may be two more. Hell, I even bought a new tube of putty ;)

Mig killing A-1H Skyraider here (Tamiya) for my first build. For the second build I have so many to choose from :wacko: . Vigilante, Skyhawk, F-100, USAF Skyraider (hey a match pair of Skyraiders would be neat ;) ), THUD...there is almost too much to choose from.

Should be a good GB!

Regards,

Don.

Ok folks, if everything holds together I may be back up and running late September. The Military pay system finally decided I did not owe so I'll get a refund. It may take 4 months is what I was told we shall see. See you all in September, I hope!

I know one thing my Mobil phone has been getting a work out reading all the post here on ARC. It was a surprise to me to find out that Z5 is having trouble. Had to contact a local friend who is active over there for updates.

Honestly, I'm really looking forward to my 1st ARC group build. At this point it's down to just two kits: The Tamiya 1/48 scale A-1J Skyraider, or the Academy 1/48 scale F-4C.

Joel

Mig killing A-1H Skyraider here (Tamiya) for my first build. For the second build I have so many to choose from :wacko:/>/>/>/> . Vigilante, Skyhawk, F-100, USAF Skyraider (hey a match pair of Skyraiders would be neat ;)/>/>/>/> ), THUD...there is almost too much to choose from.

Should be a good GB!

Regards,

Don.

Speaking of the A-1, I've heard that the pilot of one of the victorious Skyraiders believes his story was taken out of proportion. In spite of the other evidence, this account seems slimsy, but the story I heard is that the A-1s were in a defensive circle and the MiG pilot kept "yo-yoing" in and out of the circle in order to get a bead on them. However, he cut too far into it and hit the ground without having been hit with 20mm fire at all. Again, it's heresay but worth looking into. This seems like a moment for the Osprey book.

Also of interest, an mp3 of an interview with the crews involved: http://skyraider.org/skyassn/sartapes/migkill/migkill.mp3

Edited by Exhausted

...In spite of the other evidence, this account seems slimsy, but the story I heard is that the A-1s were in a defensive circle and the MiG pilot kept "yo-yoing" in and out of the circle in order to get a bead on them. However, he cut too far into it and hit the ground without having been hit with 20mm fire at all. Again, it's heresay but worth looking into. This seems like a moment for the Osprey book.

I've read many versions of the accounts (official and in books), including the rendition on pages 19-22 of the Osprey book "A-1 Skyraider Units of the Vietnam War". Lt(jg) Charlie Hartman and Lt. Clinton Johnson both "fired our cannons and saw the Migs canopy shatter as shells struck it and the fuselage...it passed between us trailing a thin stream of smoke...it fell off and slammed into the ridge". Post flight inspection revealed 90 rounds were indeed fired by the Skyraiders. The same retelling can be found scattered in many books, not to mention the official Navy report(s). I have no doubt that the Mig was shot down.

Sure, a kill is a kill. There are many accounts that put it that way (of 20mm cannonfire bringing the MiGs down), and I find them credible, but I thought it was worth mentioning that some people put it a different way. That's obviously just heresay, but sometimes it leads to something. There's an even more incredible kill claim that an Army OV-1 shot down a MiG-17 just south of the DMZ that isn't formally recognized.

This opens up the wider discussion of kill claims in Vietnam, some of which are inconsistent with records or questionable in other ways. In particular, I highly doubt the VPAF claims that a MiG-21 shot a B-52 down at night. I also highly doubt that B-52s shot down two MiG-21s during Linebacker II based on accounts from the VPAF, 11 Days of Christmas and Stratofortress.

But back to the A-1 scenarios, I'm leaning on the accounts being factual that they shot two MiG-17s down. But just for completeness, I included the story I heard.

Edited by Exhausted

Here's what I have for now to build.

Hasegawa 1/72 F-4N VF-111 Shark mouth Full Color

Hasegawa 1/72 F-4B VF-151 Shark mouth Outline

If Time Permits

Academy 1/48 F-4B VF-111

?

?

It's good to see You back buddy! Nice subjects!

I know it's still early but do we have any rules of the road yet? How far along can a kit be in order to be eligible for this build? I was looking at doing a Tamiya 1/48 A-1H as Richard Drury's "Sopwith Camel" or "Midnight Cowboy" and if time permits, finish up a 1/48 Hasegawa F-4C Wild Weasel I had started several years back.

Don

So cockpit on the Phantom is assembled and painted and fuselage halves glued together with wings glued together and onto the fuselage. No filling or sanding has been done and no other assembly has been done either. I have pics of progress but don't know how to load them. If this is still too far along, no worries, I still have the Spad.

Don

Edited by Drifterdon

When I was at Kadena I was talking to a F-4 pilot who used to fly 105Gs. He told me that they got a kill without firing a shot. When a mig went after them they dropped their tanks, went into full after burner and started to turn. They lost contact for a second and then saw a big fireball above and behind, but no mig. He hit the wing tank, there's something about the way the tank maneuvers after its let go, a sort of big sideways waving motion. Since there was no film or actual visual evidence the claim was refused.